How to Squat BIG...

MULE said:
Thats very cooll

Thats my wifes butt in the avitar...she said thanks...

i likes me some plump hineys. tell deb your welcome.

hey mods can we get a sticky of mikes training info? maybe the whole thread or just his comments as a new training thread and he can add some more of his articles as he writes them.

DADAWG said:
it is very common for people who move their stance out wide to bow their knees in when they are coming up in the squat , this puts your knees in a awkward leverage situation and could be whats causeing the problem . have someone else watch you and see if that is the problem , remember to tell them to be honest because theres a lot of yes men at the gym who are used to doing a upright row while spotting on the bench and hollering its all you . :insane2:

I think that's what did it. I'll have them take a look and double check.

Much appreciated

DaLinkWent said:
I think that's what did it. I'll have them take a look and double check.

Much appreciated
very welcome bro and if it the problem dont get discoraged because lots of people do it . drop your weight down a little and go ass to grass while concentarting on keeping the knees out , once you get it down start adding weight back on the bar .

pullinbig said:
i likes me some plump hineys. tell deb your welcome.

hey mods can we get a sticky of mikes training info? maybe the whole thread or just his comments as a new training thread and he can add some more of his articles as he writes them.
me too

your request has been taken care of

DaLinkWent said:
I recently moved my stance wider and noticed me knee is sore and I've never had an issue in the past. Ideas? Too wide?

Maybe you have gone to wide to quick...also if your posterior chain is week this can cause your knees to buckle in some glute ham raises as well as dragging the sled backward will fhelp without question....also consentrate on pushing the floor apart on your way up and down...do you have video...

Don’t Be Afraid
I was about to attempt a 1,000 Lb. squat. This was the first time I had ever been under this much weight. I was in the gym surrounded by a bunch of big ass powerlifters whom I trusted to spot me, as they had all be around this kind of thing many times before. Bob Youngs myself, Jim Wendler and Bill Crawford had just gotten done giving a two day seminar and now everyone was working out. I was a little on edge but I felt pretty strong and very confident in those around me. As I grabbed the bar and began to grit my teeth, I pulled in my last breath of air I heard a deep, gritty voice , grumble DON’T BE AFRIAD!!! Yeah that’s right what the f--- why should I be afraid. At that moment those 3 words pulled me together more than any advice or any psych up I had ever done. More than any smack on the back more than a crack in the mouth just 3 simple words, DON”T BE AFRAID, do what you need to do to get your job done and do not let fear rule your ability. As I completed the lift I felt really good inside, not only because I had squatted a 1,00lbs. But I did it without fear. Don’t’ be afraid is more than just sound lifting advice it’s a way to live your day to day life, it’s an attitude, not cocky or arrogant, but self assured and confident. It’s a way to be, a way to make decisions. I have always kind of lived life by the seat of my pants and I could think of no better motto by which to live. Ever since the day I heard those words for the first time I have kept them with me, I write DBA on the front of my sneakers so that is the last thing I see before I make a lift. We make decisions every day, some that are important life altering ones some not so important ones, but regardless I will do them without fear. As we all get further along in our powerlifting careers several things start to happen, the weight gets a little heavier, recuperation time gets longer and everything we do has an impact on our lifting. Mental toughness is paramount for not just advanced athletes but beginners as well. When I started lifting what it took to get me to me “there” is much different than what I do know. I used to go through a big psych up with a lot of shouting slapping and carrying on, now I wait until I get under the bar and focus my attention on the lift, there are very few antics involved in my lifting. I found it not only to be a waste of energy but over stimulation can directly effect concentration. I know allot of you are thinking this is much easier said then done and I will admit there are plenty of times that I have walked up on the platform only to be met with a vicious case of jello legs or the shakes. Most of us are worried about doing well and we of course want to beat our pr’s and do well in front of our peers. Those who have sponsors also want to maintain them and make a good appearance for them as well. But these are the times that will make you stronger, time to overcome your fears and put it all aside, focus on the good lifts you have made in the past, it’s normal to see your self making a bad lift or to visualize something negative but if you can turn that thought around and remember a good day when the weight felt light and you crushed your lift, I’m sure the outcome of the lift your about to perform will be the same. Visualization is a very powerful tool and can absolutely change the outcome of any sporting event. Don’t be afraid, of the weight, of yourself, your ability to go beyond what you think is your best. Every time you train and you think you’ve put it all out there put 20lbs more on and do another set. When you get out there on the platform, it’s just you, the bar and the weight; make it do what you want it to not what it wants you to do, take control of your lifts and command the weight and above all else DON’T BE AFRAID!!!

Thanks Jim
Mike Miller

Box squats are a surefire way to damage your spine. The load of the barbell does not travel vertically down. This is a very dangerous exercise and also an inefficeint one. Just like Olympic lifters, you want to train the sretch reflex and minimise the pause phase at the point at which you go from excentric to concentric. By training from a sitting position, you make yourself better at standing up from a box. You do not optimally improve your squat, which requires a speedy transmission from excentric to concentric. THAT IS THE SECRET OF A BIG SQUAT! Athletes work to pecentages for this very reason- ultra heavy weights year round does noit develop power. The quat is a POWER abd STRENGTH excersise- there for you have to develop the two, nit ignoring the basic fundimentals of the lift. CRAP ADVISE GIVEN IN THIS THREAD.

The other advise is just rote. If you've been training for years you should shoot yourself if you don't know proper technoque for squating.

Box squats are a surefire way to damage your spine. The load of the barbell does not travel vertically down. This is a very dangerous exercise and also an inefficeint one. Just like Olympic lifters, you want to train the sretch reflex and minimise the pause phase at the point at which you go from excentric to concentric. By training from a sitting position, you make yourself better at standing up from a box. You do not optimally improve your squat, which requires a speedy transmission from excentric to concentric. THAT IS THE SECRET OF A BIG SQUAT! Athletes work to pecentages for this very reason- ultra heavy weights year round does noit develop power. The quat is a POWER abd STRENGTH excersise- there for you have to develop the two, nit ignoring the basic fundimentals of the lift. CRAP ADVISE GIVEN IN THIS THREAD.

The other advise is just rote. If you've been training for years you should shoot yourself if you don't know proper technoque for squating.

im going to go ahead and say that maybe you should take another look into proper squatting. the advice given in this article is from proven lifters, maybe you should focus on helping other people out and not tearing down others, ESPECIALLY when the 2 people you are calling out happen to be 2 of the biggest names (as far as coaches go) in powerlifting...

maybe when you box squat you do it wrong, so thats why you think its bad for your squat? you cannot ignore the fact that it has been proven to work over and over again.

just my 2 cents.

Just my opinion. Apologies for the typos in my post- however what I said holds true. Box squats are a TERRIBLE exercise that should not be attempted by anyone. In order for any athlete to progress, you need to create a periodised training program, which alternates training intensity and variety. I'm sure these guys have great squats, due to super human hard work, dedication nutrition and genetics - however I'm not convinced about a lot of the advice here. Good mornings may be beneficial, but doing so many is another sure-fire way to damage yourself. This is training advice for a highly advanced athlete- if you are not close to squatting insane numbers, you should under no circumstances consider box squats and lots of good mornings (deadlifts should be the mainstay of back development). The author does not emphasise that you should build up from low intensities to high over a period of say 12 weeks, before transitioning to another phase of training. By "jumping straight in" with high stress movements you are asking for trouble, especially if you are new to said movements.
I may not be as an accomplished squatter as the autor, but I can still squat 240kg at a weight of 82kg. Without trying to sound self important, I can also say that I have a first class degree in Sport Science and a masters, so I do know what I'm talking about. I felt it important to give a different view, because I can see someone doing ultra heavy spine-loading exercises without care and attention. Good luck all!

Last edited:
Just my opinion. Apologies for the typos in my post- however what I said holds true. Box squats are a TERRIBLE exercise that should not be attempted by anyone. In order for any athlete to progress, you need to create a periodised training program, which alternates training intensity and variety. I'm sure these guys have great squats, due to super human hard work, dedication nutrition and genetics - however I'm not convinced about a lot of the advice here. Good mornings may be beneficial, but doing so many is another sure-fire way to damage yourself. This is training advice for a highly advanced athlete- if you are not close to squatting insane numbers, you should under no circumstances consider box squats and lots of good mornings (deadlifts should be the mainstay of back development). The author does not emphasise that you should build up from low intensities to high over a period of say 12 weeks, before transitioning to another phase of training. By "jumping straight in" with high stress movements you are asking for trouble, especially if you are new to said movements.
I may not be as an accomplished squatter as the autor, but I can still squat 240kg at a weight of 82kg. Without trying to sound self important, I can also say that I have a first class degree in Sport Science and a masters, so I do know what I'm talking about. I felt it important to give a different view, because I can see someone doing ultra heavy spine-loading exercises without care and attention. Good luck all!

thanks for the input , its good to have differing opinions.
i personnaly never did well with periodised training. i didnt rely heavily on good mornings or box squats but i did incooperate them as part of the variety of excercises i used along with bands , chains , etc..at almost 50 and haveing undergone several back/neck surgeries im out of the game now.

Back