I think I lean forward to much when I squat

rjx

DEATH to "The Club Boys"!
Some of you might remember the thread I had about deadlifts and my lower back - ouch! If you don't, then here is a mini re-cap.
I slightly aggravated my lower back while squatting heavy, but it went away pretty fast. So later in the week I was deadlifting and the aggravation came back, but worst! I didn't do any deads or squats for about 10 days and my back finally healed.

Since then I have been doing a bunch of hypers and reverse hypers - I have yet to start good mornings though.

Since the deadlift incident I have yet to deadlift again. However, I have been squatting with no problems at all.

Well last night I was squatting and I screwed up my lower right back for a 3rd time, and this time it hurts like it did after the deadlift incident. Ouch! WTF? It was the same weight I did last week with NO problems. All I wanted to do was 5 reps. I could have added maybe 10 pounds more to it.

I workout alone withought a spot when I squat and I think I started leaning forward to much. I noticed on the last few reps of the set before (not as heavy) that I might be to forward, so I tried to straighten up a bit.

Thats the only thing I can think of that it could be? Its hard to know 100% for sure cuz I only see myself in the mirror in front of me. I don't have anyone standing on the side of me telling me how it looks.

This is really a downer because I try to have good form when I squat - and I love to squat deep and I keep my knees even with my knees at shoulder width apart. EDIT: I keep my feet even with my knees. My knees don't go further than my feet.

I want to blast my quads with heavier weight at low reps, but then this shit happens and screws it up. I know my quads are strong enough, but I can't keep from leaning forward.

Maybe I should just do more reps with a lower weight or go even slower with a low weight?

What about smith machine squats?
What do you think about those? Its the same 45lb bar and I add my own free weights just like a regular squat, but it helps keep me from leaning forward. But this will just put a band aid over the problem I am having. Thoughts?

Maybe I could do higher rep sets in the squat rack, and low reps on the smith machine?

All I know is that I think I screwed up my back doing deadlifts that time cause I had aggravated that same spot doing squats. I am sure thats were it all started!

BTW It feels like a nerve, not a muscle. I hope I get another chance of the pain going away. maybe I will see my doc tomorrow.

thanks for any help.

Last edited:
i've always heard that squatting with the smith machine is really bad on the knees. Are you wearing a belt when you squat and deadlift?

rjx said:
Yeah, only on the heavy sets.

why are you wearing a belt? unless you are competing wearing a belt defeats the purpose of core training.

are you coming up on your toes when you squat? you may need to stop squatting for several weeks and do box squats instead as this teaches proper technique on squats. normally folks are dumping the weight on their back and giving their legs a break is why they lean forward. sit back and lead with your head. look up and not in the mirror. If you cant avoid this hang something over the mirror. we have squat racks and stands in our gym so i use the stands often times and face away from the mirror. I always face away from the mirror when pulling deads. To be honest though it is hard to help someone squat who is having problems without seeing them squat. I am a PLer and a trainer and I have seen just about everything that can be done to butcher a squat. film it and post it and maybe then you can get some help. Or find some PLers at a near by gym and get them to teach you to squat properly. you may need some help on your deads too if you are hurting your back. good luck

pullinbig

Thanks for the help bro. I will do research on box squats and do them! Thats a good idea about the cam. When I feel better I will get someone to record me so I can post it here.

I also thought that maybe I really should consider a personal trainer for squats and deads, to make sure I learn proper form.

another suggestion to prevent leaning too forward is the set your site upwards and focus on fixed spot above you. I find that this is the best way to keep my balance and to keep good form when squatting heavy.

huskyguy said:
another suggestion to prevent leaning too forward is the set your site upwards and focus on fixed spot above you. I find that this is the best way to keep my balance and to keep good form when squatting heavy.

already been mentioned

rjx said:
pullinbig

Thanks for the help bro. I will do research on box squats and do them! Thats a good idea about the cam. When I feel better I will get someone to record me so I can post it here.

I also thought that maybe I really should consider a personal trainer for squats and deads, to make sure I learn proper form.

where do you live?

rjx said:

I was born in long beach but live on the east coast now. if you do get a trainer make sure you get a guy that is big and moving heavy weight. make sure he is squatting deep as well. ther are a lot of bad trainers out there. a lot of them dont even train themselves much less know how to squat properly. god luck film it and we'll take a look at ya.

Back