Inguinal hernia and training abs

Nate713

Hey guys, I'm still fairly new to the boards but I spend a lot of time reading past topics and things and I haven't came across to my problem. Anyways I had a inguinal hernia (hernia in the groin area) on my right side. I had it for a year and I got it fixed about 3 months ago. My doctor was good and had done the procedure countless times and I went home a few hours after the surgery, no problems. About after a month of recuperating, I slowly went back into the gym, I could tell I was losing some of my progress but I started to bounce back, only problem was that when I tried abs (I did weighted cable crunch) less than half of what I normally did prior to the surgery (I did train abs with the hernia when I could, it honestly didn't bother me) after 1 rep I had a serious cramp to were my entire body froze up. I checked myself out and to make sure I did re-rupture it again and I don't believe I have. Fast forward to today I tried abs again, I thought maybe I just needed more time to recover my abs, keep in mind it's been 3 months since I had the surgery. Every time I try weighted abs I have cramps in my surgical area and I have to walk off and stretch to make it go away. I can still to abs without weights (L-raises for example) but I'm afraid that I won't be able to to weighted abs anymore. Yeah it may have been stupid to try and do abs so quickly, but I honestly felt that I was ready, doc said I could go back to the gym after a month. Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks. :)

It will take time but you will get back to "normal". I have had 3 inguinals, 2 right and 1 left from 1999-2006, followed by a para esophageal hernia that sidelined me for a year before docs figured it out and another 16 months(presently) since surgery because, quite frankly I don't want another. One inguinal was a re-tear because I pushed it too much too soon. I went from skinny 130 pounds to nice 190 and back to 170ish and back to ugly 200 from trying to fast. Just don't try to be too macho and let it fully heal before adding resistance or weights to abs. I found stretches and crunches worked for a while after the reinjury. Good luck bro, maybe someone else has better advice.

Back