Injectable Testosterone Replacement Earns High Marks for Safety and Effectiveness

IMT staff

Official Sponsor
This article was fwd to us courtesy of our New York based physician:

A newly published review suggests that age-related testosterone deficiency treatment with intramuscular injections of testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) offers health benefits and lower cardiovascular risk compared to testosterone replacement by patch or gel.

While TRT can result in increased muscle mass and strength, decreased fat mass, and increased bone mineral density, the therapy has known risks. These include the development of polycythemia, decreases in high-density lipoprotein cholesterol, breast tenderness and enlargement, and prostate issues.

The authors point out, however, that TRT does not increase prostate cancer risk. And whether TRT hurts, helps, or has no effect on cardiovascular risk remains controversial in the literature.

The University of Florida, Gainesville, researchers who conducted this latest review were among the authors of a previously published study suggesting that oral TRT increases cardiovascular risk, but no significant cardiovascular effects were noted with injected or transdermal TRT (BMC Med 2014; 12:211).

For the current study, which was published online in the American Journal of Physiology Endocrinology and Metabolism (April 21, 2015), study authors Stephen E. Borst, PhD, and Joshua F. Yarrow, PhD, reviewed literature indicating that intramuscular injected TRT produces greater musculoskeletal benefits and lower cardiovascular risk compared to transdermal TRT We also review the literature discussing the use of 5-reductase inhibitors as a promising means of improving the safety profile of TRT.

According to the authors, for older hypogonadal men, administering TRT by injection, versus orally or transdermally, offers greater musculoskeletal benefits because doses are higher by injection. But while doses are higher when injected, intramuscular TRT might be less likely to result in cardiovascular risks than transdermal TRT. This could be because transdermal testosterone results in greater serum dihydrotestosterone (DHT) elevation, due to significant expression of 5-reductase in skin not muscle.

Injected TRT earns high marks for safety, effectiveness | Urology Times

Last edited:
In a time where we are seeing mainstream media articles saying trt increases cardiovascular events and so on this is nice to see. Thanks for sharing it.

Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside when the ambulance chasers have less ammo to hurl at medical progress. Now we just need the FDA to wake up and add male use to the list of indications for HCG/AIs. ;)

Very nice! I can attest that my life was honestly being completely wasted before I started TRT. Now I am a contributing member of society, helping to improve society with my life. That alone should be a good reason for the feds to want men who need it to be on TRT.

Back