Is saccharine a carb?

As far as I'm aware saccharine has no calorific value whereas carbs (simple or complex) have 4cals per gram. Therefore I don't believe it can be classed as a carb. I stand to be corrected though

PartyBoy said:
As far as I'm aware saccharine has no calorific value whereas carbs (simple or complex) have 4cals per gram. Therefore I don't believe it can be classed as a carb. I stand to be corrected though
that is exactly what im thinking.

Looks like it is approx. 1 carb per gram:

Nutrient Value per 100 grams of edible portion

Proximates

Water...................................... 0.50 g
Fiber, total dietary ..................0.00 g
Caffeine.................................. 0.00 mg
Theobromine ...........................0.00 mg
Energy .................................1523.00 kj
Protein................................... 0.00 g
Total lipid (fat)........................ 0.00 g
Carbohydrate, by difference.... 94.00 g
Ash .........................................5.50 g
Energy ................................364.00 kcal

StoneColdNTO said:
Looks like it is approx. 1 carb per gram:

Proximates

Water...................................... 0.50 g
Fiber, total dietary ..................0.00 g
Caffeine.................................. 0.00 mg
Theobromine ...........................0.00 mg
Energy .................................1523.00 kj
Protein................................... 0.00 g
Total lipid (fat)........................ 0.00 g
Carbohydrate, by difference.... 94.00 g
Ash .........................................5.50 g
Energy ................................364.00 kcal
how about equal and splenda any info on them

Equal

Proximates

Water..................................... 12.10 g
Fiber, total dietary.................... 0.00 g
Caffeine ....................................0.00 mg
Theobromine............................. 0.00 mg
Energy ..................................1473.00 kj
Protein ......................................2.18 g
Total lipid (fat).......................... 0.17 g
Carbohydrate, by difference ......85.54 g
Ash ..............................................0.01 g
Energy.................................... 352.00 kcal

Taken from this site;
http://www10.netrition.com/cgi/foods.cgi

if equal has that many carbs why dont they list calories in diet drinks ? it doesnt make any sense

Alternative sugars have shown to be bad for your system.I wish I could find a post for this.

DADAWG said:
if equal has that many carbs why dont they list calories in diet drinks ? it doesnt make any sense

Is it something to do with the actual "weight" of the sweetner. Gram for gram you get a hell of a lot more sweetner than you get for sugar. Therefore you need very little to "sweeten" drinks etc. Am I correct Stonecold??

actually, it really isnt a carb. i got this info form somoene who has experience with this type of stuff:

"Saccharin is not considered a carbohydrate. It was inadvertently discovered in 1879 by a research trying to develop food preservatives. It is classified as a noncaloric artificial sweetener by the FDA. It is 200 to 700 times sweeter than sugar and has a long shelf life. You can find this information in any nutrition text book."

Also, The American Diabetes Association Complete Guide to Diabetes, 2nd Edition (page 222) states:

"Calorie-free sugar substitutes do not raise blood glucose levels because they don't contain any carbohydrates. These include artificial sweeteners such as aspartame (Nutrasweet), acesulfame-K, and saccharin."

Nutri-Wrestler said:
actually, it really isnt a carb. i got this info form somoene who has experience with this type of stuff:

"Saccharin is not considered a carbohydrate. It was inadvertently discovered in 1879 by a research trying to develop food preservatives. It is classified as a noncaloric artificial sweetener by the FDA. It is 200 to 700 times sweeter than sugar and has a long shelf life. You can find this information in any nutrition text book."

Also, The American Diabetes Association Complete Guide to Diabetes, 2nd Edition (page 222) states:

"Calorie-free sugar substitutes do not raise blood glucose levels because they don't contain any carbohydrates. These include artificial sweeteners such as aspartame (Nutrasweet), acesulfame-K, and saccharin."

Yes, but the argument is, as I understand it, that just thinking about "sweetness" can cause insulin release... and... if you taste something sweet (be it carb or no), you will release insulin in anticipation (Pavlovian response).

Not saying I agree with this as I competition diet with NO SUGAR (as do many people) with success, but I have never seen any evidence that disproves the notion.

Then again, if that were true, you'd think it'd kill diabetics then...

B

Thank Nandi for this one.

http://www.cuttingedgemuscle.com/Forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=326&highlight=aspartame

Bodybuilders may have gotten the idea that aspartame and ketosis don't mix from this incorrect post by Dave Palumbo:

Aspartame is an artificial sweetener consisting of the two amino acids - phenylalanine and aspartic acid - that when ingested "tastes" sweet. This sweet taste can sometimes trick your body into releasing insulin (something undesirable on the ketogenic diet); however, we must realize that although insulin is released, there are still no carbohydrates present. Aspartame, therefore, may cause you to feel light headed due to too much insulin release; however, it will not take a person out of ketosis.

http://musclemonthly.com/articles/0...-uncensored.htm

First, insulin is the enemy of a ketogenic diet. As I alluded to above, your body senses excess ketone levels and secretes insulin. Technically what the insulin does is deactivate the enzyme HMGCoA synthase that makes ketones. This has nothing to do with whether carbohydrates are present. It is a survival mechanism to keep your brain from going into a ketoacidosis induced coma.

Second, there is absolutely no evidence that aspartame induces insulin release. To quote from one of many studies that looked at this

"No significant change in blood insulin or glucagon concentration during a 3-h period was observed in either the controls or the diabetics." (1)

So become as ketotic as you can can, and don't worry about Nutrasweet.

(1) Diabetes Res Clin Pract 1986 Apr;2(1):23-7

Glucose tolerance, blood lipid, insulin and glucagon concentration after single or continuous administration of aspartame in diabetics.

Okuno G, Kawakami F, Tako H, Kashihara T, Shibamoto S, Yamazaki T, Yamamoto K, Saeki M.

DADAWG said:
mister b the point about diabetics and insulin response is a good one

No its not a good point. Coz being a diabetic (type 1) means you have reduced insulin production!? So... if a study showed a sweetener did spike insuline with diabetics that would be like a miracle, I mean, if their system suddenly were able to produce a lot of insulin!?

:rockband:

blup said:
No its not a good point. Coz being a diabetic (type 1) means you have reduced insulin production!? So... if a study showed a sweetener did spike insuline with diabetics that would be like a miracle, I mean, if their system suddenly were able to produce a lot of insulin!?

:rockband:

Yes and no. If they couldn't produce insulin at all then yes you would be correct however there are many different reasons why someone can be a type 1 diabetic and it not's only because they don't produce insulin.

The other thing is that they also used controls (non-diabetics) in their experiment.

Back