I've got high SHBG levels - considering TRT as treatment

kmarcetjr

Hello I'm a new member here hoping for some insights on my condition and possible treatment. It's going to be a long post to give you as much relevant info as possible.

3 weeks ago I went for my blood work for my annual check up with my GP, two weeks ago I met with my Dr. he said all my blood work came back as fine / normal. I told him of some symptoms I've been having for at least several months now. I've been feeling like I have low T, tired all the time, muscle fatigue, no middle of the night erections, no sex drive, basically feeling run down all the time. I suggested to my Dr. that we test me for low T, he agreed, the next day I went to the lab and had the blood drawn after 12-13 hours of fasting. Now I wait.

2 Days ago I got the results from the lab, Quest Diagnostics, total testosterone normal, free testosterone low end of normal range, higher than normal SHBG, and low bioavailable testosterone. Here are the result of both sets of blood works. See attachments.
***********no pdfs allowed just copy and past the info please*******
So now I have another appointment with my GP Dr. next week to discuss my test results. When I saw him last we talked about TRT levels if we found out I was low on T, well I am not, but from what I have read TRT is a treatment for high SHBG levels. So when I see my Dr. next week I'm going to try to convince him that TRT is what I would like to try as a treatment. I don't have very high hopes for this. I could try to find another Dr. that is willing to work with me with TRT, this could take time, and it might look like I am Dr. shopping. In todays world medical records can follow you around like a loyal dog. Not sure I want all that.

So other options I have read about and considered:
1) Supplements like Vitamin D, boron, magnesium, zinc, tongkat ali and fish oils. Seems to be at least a little scientific evidence that some of these work at raising free t. Might be worth a try.
2) Self administered TRT. Hormones are tricky, but there is lots of places to look online for information (some good, some probably not so good) I would use a online discount lab tests supplier for routine blood work monitoring. I would use a reputable supplier for my testosterone (I ran 2 cycles of test e in the last year and a half, I know how to buy stuff)
3) The option I like the least, live with the symptoms of low t.

So any feedback on my situation?
I would appreciate any help.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got high shbg levels - trt treatment as option

I posted this a little while ago but it didn't go through for some reason.

I also was feeling all low test symptoms while in normal ranges but with high SHBG. Two test results were:

TT- 560 SHBG-57.3
TT- 463 SHBG-51.8

I started on 150mg of test c weekly and felt like my old self within 3 or 4 weeks. However, my sex drive did not really return. My results on my 8th week were:

TT-685 SHBG- 36.9
(This was one day before my next injection)

So you can see much improvement in free test numbers. 2 weeks ago I added HCG at 500 iu twice weekly. Can't believe I wasn't doing it from the start. My testicles feel better and my sex drive is now extremely high.

So if you feel awful then I'd say giving TRT a shot would be worth it

I also was feeling all low test symptoms while in normal ranges but with high SHBG. Two test results were:

TT- 560 SHBG-57.3
TT- 463 SHBG-51.8

I started on 150mg of test c weekly and felt like my old self within 3 or 4 weeks. However, my sex drive did not really return. My results on my 8th week were:

TT-685 SHBG- 36.9
(This was one day before my next injection)

So you can see much improvement in free test numbers. 2 weeks ago I added HCG at 500 iu twice weekly. Can't believe I wasn't doing it from the start. My testicles feel better and my sex drive is now extremely high.

So if you feel awful then I'd say giving TRT a shot would be worth it

Well I see my Dr. tomorrow, maybe he has a treatment in mind that I haven't read about yet. Right now I'm trying some OTC supplements, and honestly I feel better, obviously I can't say about actual testosterone levels, but I don't feel like I need a nap two hours into the work day. I feel less run down at the end of the day. I'm trying vitamin d, magnesium, zinc, nettle root and tongkat ali. I'm going to get my blood tested in a about 2 months and see if there is a positive improvement. If not I may go the TRT route for treatment.

Back