Just started TRT - is this low?

thebum

I got my lab work back for my testosterone. 45/male/ 5'11/180lbs

Total Testosterone is 303 ng/dL
Testosterone Bioavailable is 109 ng/dL

I did my first 200mg injection on 2/3/21 and the doctor wants to increase slightly to 250mg bi-weekly since my levels came back low.

As I am extremely ignorant in this area, will 500mg of Test Cypionate per month be enough to help build muscle? If I were able to take more I would, but I am at the mercy of the doctor.

303 is low. You have Hypogonadism. Did he run any other tests before prescribing TRT? I hope so.

Are you taking 250mg of testosterone bi-weekly or semi-weekly? But if it really is bi-weekly that's a recipe for disaster. You are going to be 'out of testosterone' by the time you do your next injection. We don't even recommend guys inject weekly. A lot of us do injections twice a week to help maintain steadier levels.

Below in my signature is a link to a FAQs thread which contains more info on TRT. Give it a read.

303 is low. You have Hypogonadism. Did he run any other tests before prescribing TRT? I hope so.

Are you taking 250mg of testosterone bi-weekly or semi-weekly? But if it really is bi-weekly that's a recipe for disaster. You are going to be 'out of testosterone' by the time you do your next injection. We don't even recommend guys inject weekly. A lot of us do injections twice a week to help maintain steadier levels.

Below in my signature is a link to a FAQs thread which contains more info on TRT. Give it a read.

He (Urologist) did not run any other tests. I initially came to him because I was out of energy, couldn’t sleep properly, and my lack of muscle growth over 18 months. He actually sent a prescription in for 1ml Test 200mg prior to my lab work. My insurance is covering a 28-day supply, so I think I’m expected to do a 250mg injection (since he increased it) every 14 days.

I guess the gap between injections and the half life is the recipe for disaster?

Would asking him to change the dosage and injections per week be advisable?

Thank you for the prompt response. It has been quite a challenge getting information and I truly appreciate it.

I would ask your doc to prescribe a 10ml multi-use vial. That should last you about 10 weeks. It's a lot cheaper. Costs about $40 if you use goodrx coupons to buy it. I get it for less that way than if I go through insurance but your case may be different.

You don't need your doc to prescribe more frequent injections. You can do that yourself. But for most guys, 125mg per week is on the low side. Many of us end up needing about 200mg/wk. Everyone is different though.

Personally, I would consider seeking a consult with a doctor that does more thorough testing and examinations. Maybe you don't need to go on TRT. It is for the rest of your life after all. It's a life saver if you need it, but it gets a little tiring doing injections and blood work and blood donations all of the time. It would have been nice to know if they can get your HPTA going again. Sounds like you didn't even discuss checking for undiagnosed sleep apnea.

Last edited:
Back