Kalib Starnes' Statement Regarding Ufc

Eze

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=6145&zoneid=13

Following one of the most contentious performances of 2008, middleweight Kalib Starnes has released a statement regarding his fight with Nate Quarry at UFC 83.

Irked by what he characterized as inaccurate accounts of his status with the Ultimate Fighting Championship, Starnes also promises to release details on the injuries he sustained in the fight.

Below is Starnes' statement as sent to MMAWeekly.com:

"I would like to begin by saying that I was very happy to fight in Montreal, and that I trained really hard for my fight. I know that there were many people, including myself, who were disappointed with my performance, and I would like to apologize to my coaches, trainers and the fans for what happened. It was by far the worst fight of my career, much to the credit of my opponent who proved to be a real monster in the ring, I think that they should keep him in a cave somewhere and feed him raw meat!

During the fight I received a broken bone in my right foot and I find out tomorrow if I need to have surgery and get a pin put through it so that it will heal properly. I also have severe bruising on my left thigh, lumps on my head, a fat black eye, a sprained jaw and damage to the nerves in my molars.

My injuries weren't enough to satisfy Dana White, who made comments after the fight insinuating that I would have been better served allowing myself to be knocked out. Comments which prompted me to ask to be released from my contract.

Those commenting on my performance and wondering why I asked to be released from my contract, a contract which they had repeatedly refused to renegotiate, should keep in mind how fighters are compensated by the UFC.

In my last fight for example I was coming off a win against one of the UFC's top middleweights Chris Leben. I trained for over three months for the fight, with all expenses coming out of my own pocket. Food, travel, accommodations, supplements, equipment, coaching, and cornermen. The athletic commission requires a pre fight medical exam, blood tests, eye exam, and often an EKG, ECG, MRA/ MRI, or CT scan. All of these expenses are mandatory, and are incurred by the athlete.

I was then injured in the bout and received a huge gash on my forehead, which caused the doctor to halt the bout prematurely. The cut became infected and I spent about two and a half months recovering, during which time I was unable to work or generate any income. The UFC, a company which earned hundreds of millions of dollars that year, paid me less than $5,000.

You should also keep in mind that I was fighting for the sixth time for the organization and my second time on live PPV, on an event which generated tens of millions of dollars. In short I paid somewhere between $20,000 to $30,000 dollars for the privilege of having my head split open.

For him to come out and make a statement like that as though I should be willing to suffer a brain injury while being paid less than $10,000 is beyond comment. How much is a brain injury worth anyway?

Since the fight, extremely biased articles and commentary have appeared everywhere; articles which were of course reprinted quite extensively by those lacking the imagination to make up their own lies. Accusations flew and continue to fly about every aspect of my life and character. I've heard reports that I appeared on a radio show in Montreal attacking the UFC, that I threw the fight in protest, that I've been abandoned by my team over my performance, that I escaped from a polygamist colony in Texas as a child, that I was homeless for years surviving on nothing but peyote caps and good intentions, etc, etc.

I've been bombarded by questions from every media organization you can imagine. You'd think that I had knocked up Britney Spears, or strangled Paris Hiltons pet Chihuahua. They ask me clever questions like: Why would you want to be released from your UFC contract? Were you injured? What was it like on that reality show? Exactly what is a ‘hollaback girl’? Do lion-tiger hybrids (ligers) really exist? Which is better, chocolate, or vanilla? And finally; Why is your cardio always in question?" But I don't answer them, ‘I just light my cigarette, and smile.’

I have been asked to appear on Inside MMA Friday to discuss it further. If you're confused about the quote, look it up. I will make copies of my medical records relating to UFC 83 available upon request.

I regret having to discuss this matter in the press, and would have preferred to discuss this matter in private. I was not given this opportunity and feel as though I was forced into a position where I had to respond publicly to the pointed and biased case building against me in the press.

Regardless of my dissatisfaction with my contract, I will say that to the best of my knowledge the UFC honored all agreements made with me while I was under contract with them. I do not blame the UFC in any way for my loss, and I hold no grudges against Nate Quarry or his corner.

This sport is as much about losing as it is about winning. There is a winner and a loser in every fight. I tried to win but on that night I couldn't do it and I lost. Instead of allowing me to lose with dignity I was booed and called names and ridiculed beyond anything which seems reasonable to me. I tried to box with him and I couldn't find my range, I tried to kickbox with him and I broke my foot, I tried to take him down and grapple with him but I was unable to, I tried to work in the clinch but that didn't work either, in short, I failed. No excuses. "

There are a ton of rumors floating around right now about this. And there is more to the story than what Starnes is willing to say.

He spent 15 minutes running away from Quarry and never tried to formulate any type of offense. Quarry never even laid a beating on him, so Starnes can't claim he was getting his ass kicked and ran away in survival mode.

Anyways, he's a moron

Agreed bro. Anyway you slice it, he's a fool. If he was injured, he shouldn't have taken the fight... if he was worried about his stand up game, he should've attempted some takedowns, and if he was doing it in protest of the UFC, that's even worse and he's a coward with no pride, dignity, or honor!! I think his name is mud in the world of mma now.

There are a ton of rumors floating around right now about this. And there is more to the story than what Starnes is willing to say.

He spent 15 minutes running away from Quarry and never tried to formulate any type of offense. Quarry never even laid a beating on him, so Starnes can't claim he was getting his ass kicked and ran away in survival mode.

Anyways, he's a moron

I would classify this as an incorrect analysis. Starnes did try to fight Quarry, and as he said, when he did he got whooped. He boxed with him but couldn't hurt him, he got leg kicked to smithereens, and had no hope of taking him down. In other words he got worked.

As far as his comments on Dana and the UFC policies are concerned I think he's right on the money. Dana is a greedy jew and can't expect to pay the fighters nothing and incur no expense for their injuries.

i wonder how these guys get paid.

anyway, if you dont want to fight for whatever little the ufc gives then dont sign the contract. running around the cage for 15 minutes isnt going to help.

Little does Starnes know is that he could have made $75,000 with:
- KO of the night
- Submission of the night
OR
- Fight of the Night

I would classify this as an incorrect analysis. Starnes did try to fight Quarry, and as he said, when he did he got whooped. He boxed with him but couldn't hurt him, he got leg kicked to smithereens, and had no hope of taking him down. In other words he got worked.

As far as his comments on Dana and the UFC policies are concerned I think he's right on the money. Dana is a greedy jew and can't expect to pay the fighters nothing and incur no expense for their injuries.

It is a little sickening what some of these guys get paid... especially considering what the UFC (zuffa) as a corp brings in. I don't think they need to be shedding out millions for each fighter but at least cover some medical and alot a small training/living/food stipend.

i wonder how these guys get paid.

anyway, if you dont want to fight for whatever little the ufc gives then dont sign the contract. running around the cage for 15 minutes isnt going to help.

I think alot of them either try working and training fulltime (very difficult) or just barely scrape by while they train fulltime and hope for sponsors to cover some of the expenses.... then once their big names most of their money will come from endorsements... but you figure alot of guys don't reach the top tier like Silva, GSP, Franklin, Penn, etc...
So it's gotta be hard living off say two fights a year where the UFC only paid you around 15-20K per fight (on a good day)... then you minus all your trainer expenses, supplies, etc.. You really have to love the sport.
I had a lot of respect for Hermes Franca after he tested positive for gear and admitted his guilt.. basically stating that "i was injured during training and this is my job and how I feed my family. When you have only 1 fight for the year that pays only $30K, your forced to make tough decisions. I chose to use nandrolone to excel my healing so I could fight and feed my family."

It is a little sickening what some of these guys get paid... especially considering what the UFC (zuffa) as a corp brings in. I don't think they need to be shedding out millions for each fighter but at least cover some medical and alot a small training/living/food stipend.

Totally agree. I think the pay for top level fighters is about on the money (I don't think it should be NFL or MLB level, those guys make way too much) but the average fighter still makes almost nothing. The medical thing is especially offensive considering the violent nature of this sport.

I had a lot of respect for Hermes Franca after he tested positive for gear and admitted his guilt.. basically stating that "i was injured during training and this is my job and how I feed my family. When you have only 1 fight for the year that pays only $30K, your forced to make tough decisions. I chose to use nandrolone to excel my healing so I could fight and feed my family."

He really manned up. Made sherk look like a real asshole.

does the ufc pay a fighter regularly in their contract or only what they get for each fight?

the tuf winner gets 100 grand, i thought most of the fighters that fight regularly would have a decent contract like that.

Couldnt agree more, I really hate Starnes, but what he is saying about the ufc and dana is on the money. I wouldnt stand in there and fight quary for 5 or 10k, whatever he said, dana is a dick and needs to start paying his guys.. im not talking milions of dollars for 1 fight, im talking atleast 100,000 a fight, and thats not even that much money..

I was never on any Montreal radio show. If anyone knows what radio show that I allegedly appeared on, or has any recording of it or any evidence of it whatsoever I would love to know about it. So far I've only heard rumors and allegations. I did not throw the fight, the fight was not a protest against the UFC.

I will say again what I've said before; I had the game plan of circling and moving to stay out of exchanges and to work off of my jab because he hits so hard, to avoid the clinch because he was very strong and I'd taken knees and elbows there in my previous fight, and to throw some kicks as the fight wore on.

I threw 35 punches in the first round and I would have thrown a lot more had I landed any of them, but I found him very difficult to hit and he was counter punching whenever I would step in, with one of those counter punches almost dropping me early. Most of my takedowns come out of the clinch and when I tried to switch it up and get position in the clinch to take him down I couldn't do it because he seemed much stronger than me.

In the second round it was more of the same except that he almost knocked me out again early which made me more hesitant to throw punches so I decided to throw some kicks and at about 2 minutes into round two I threw a low right roundhouse kick that hit his shin awkwardly and I broke my foot, which stopped me from throwing anymore kicks, other than a few tentative kicks with my left leg. **That is not an excuse for losing it is simply something that happened and for me to mention it I think is quite reasonable.

I found myself in a fight where I couldn't stand with the guy, he was awkward and he hit hard having almost knocked me out three times in the fight, I couldn't take him down and work my ground game (I got him down only once and just managed to land a few shots because he got up so fast), and so I felt like I could either keep moving or get knocked out. Then late in the third he started to mock me out of frustration, but really at that point, I was just a solidly beaten fighter who was trying not to get knocked out, and had fallen into a pattern that I couldn't get out of. It was the worst athletic performance of my life.

Afterword his cornerman was swearing at me and calling me names, I responded to him by calling him names and telling him that he should get in there and fight then, meaning fight in the UFC, not fight me. He apologized to me afterword I suppose realizing that he was out of line, and so did Nate and I know that they were both acting out of frustration and so I forgave them and apologized in return for losing my temper. I think it's rediculous that he be made into some kind of hero for mocking a guy that he just beat the crap out of, and I felt forced into retreating because he had such a good offense. I didn't choose to do it as some kind of protest. I did try to win that fight and I did show up to fight, I don't care what Dana White says, I just wasn't good enough on that day to do it. I have no excuses for losing the fight.

If you want a copy of my medical records the guys at Sherdog can contact me, or Primo at ATT and you'll be provided with that. I can't speak for anyone else, but I have never said that the UFC does not cover a fighters medical expenses, I'm dealing with their medical claims department right now regarding my broken foot and other injuries sustained at UFC 83, and up until this point they have honored their obligations.

I have as much right to discuss what fighters are paid as anyone else and I know a lot about the subject having fought for the organization in some capacity seven times. Believe me, you're paid if you win and tossed aside like garbage if you lose. Until these guys learn to market themselves the payouts are going to remain pathetic compared to boxing and the UFC's little traveling circus will roam from town to town with the billionaires raking in the cash while the fighters split up about five percent of the take between them.

What prompted me to discuss it were comments about it being wise to get knocked out as opposed to moving out of the way, apparently from brain injury advocates who've taken their own advice. I'm not retiring and I've already been offered more than I ever made at the UFC, which was $5,000 and $5000, plus $30000 fight of the night (which they gave me because I had no heart), plus an additional $25000 (because I don't belong in the UFC presumably). That's $65,000 you clever little monkeys, but remember that if I'd lost I would have walked away with a sweet $5000 and a kick in the ass, because they only pay the winners. The only problem with that is, somebody loses every time.

Here's a typical article from another website illustrating the type of thing that I get to deal with now. And I'll post some quotes from forums I've looked through after that. Such fine human beings are drawn to this sport. I can't wait to jump back in there and fight for your amusement!

Kalib Starnes: Go Fuck Yourself

By Michael Rome
Posted on Mon Apr 21, 2008 at 06:07:42 PM EDT
There's a gigantic thread on Sherdog with a report on why Kalib Starnes did what he did. This of course could be be bullshit, but it is from a senior poster there and I believe it, and will of course take this down if it turns out it isn't true. I won't apologize though because no matter what his explanation I still hate him:

Basically he sets the record straight and backs it up with proof. As many of you know this was his last fight of the UFC contract and he has always voiced his dissatisfaction with his salary. Basically after the Kendall Grove fight where his rib was broken, UFC did NOT cover any medical bills even though it happened on the "work site".
He said that he is one of the many fighters who get injured and never compensated by the UFC. He was well aware that he was on the main card because it was Canada, and this being his last fight he decided to protest in the names of all underpaid fighters and screw over the UFC.
This is NO joke because he claimed that the only reason Dana White officially released the fight bonuses was in order to counter-act the public statement that Starnes is about to make or would have made. However, since the 75k fight bonuses were disclosed Kalib's martyr actions may not be as significant.

Nevertheless, expect an official statement later this week as his gym is holding a official press conference on Wednesday. We all know that the "real" Kalib Starnes would have never fought the way he did and luckily there IS an explanation.

I can think of FIFTY BILLION better ways to make this point. What a cocksucker. How about try to win and then get on the microphone and point it out to everyone. I hope this is true because I want to hate him even more. According to SDS on Sherdog, he is retiring, which I guess is decent news.

But how can you claim to be a professional fighter, then be afraid to fight someone in your weight class.

Maybe Starnes isn't good enough to be in the UFC then and should stick to the low level shows, but he can't expect to make a career out of fighting that way.

He wants more money, but you also have to show that you deserve it.

After the first round Bocek could have done that same thing as Starnes. He didn't have an answer for Danzig, so should he have ran away for the rest of the fight?

Every fighters has a strikers chance to land a heavy hand. You might not get the KO, but if the guy goes down it is your chance to get better positioning on him

Back