Learn chemistry at home?

GymLift

Is it resonable to learn basic and basic organic chemistry at home? Not sure if the lack of having a lab available is a big problem when learning the basics.

My experience is limited to a basic college chemistry course; very easy. I don't even remember much of that, but I'm sure I could pick that up again pretty easily.

If I can get through the basics, then perhaps I could take a college course that is a bit more difficult?

Thoughts? Book recommendations?

Thanks.

Chemistry for Anabolic Androgenic Steroids (AAS) production, or just basic organic chemistry?

If its the former, its soooo easy even YOU can do it. Seriously, most people make it out to be harder than it is.

Possible yes, but Ill warn you. I tried to teach myself organic chemistry out of the textbook alone, I had no professor because I took the class online instead of on campus (lighter schedule load) anyways, I found that I thought I was doing well before every exam, and to my dismay I failed 3 of 6 exams. Why? I had no face to face instruction. The last 3 exams which I passed, I contribute to scheduling office hours with the prof and getting 1 on 1 instruction. Basically you can gain a general understanding with a textbook, but Id tend to think that most would missing a lot of valuable insight without a professor/ta or instruction in general.

If your an inquisitive mind and really enjoy learning things, Id suggest picking up a college text- they offer online guides and tests that really do help with understanding the material.

I'll do that, thank you.

I did about half of my undergrad online, so I understand about many of the complications of not being in a classroom. I've never done well with intructor-led training anyway; have a hard time paying attention.

Just use the library man, buying college level textbooks is insanity... my A&P II books just cost $160...

or go for the older textbooks, not so far back that they are obsolete, but within a few years so they are cheap(er).

I had my wife did up her college chemistry book from just a few years back.

But yeah, "new" college textbooks are a scam. I spent something like $600 on my wife's college books at the beginning of last year. When they sell so many textbooks, shouldn't the per book cost go down, not up?

I took a year of inorganic chem and one semester of organic chem before switching to engineering. There is no need to learn college level chem to do what is taught here. Yeah, all that stuff is fun for some of us but I wouldn't recommend it to most. Some knowledge of basic math so that you can calculate ratios is a big help. Read the instruction here, its pretty self explanatory.
Good luck
Trav

I have a degree in chemisty. Gen chem, IMO, if youve taken a class before, or did well in HS, you can learn alot on your own at home by reading a good book.

Id go at it, its not going to hurt anything. The problem is without a professor, you dont know what "bullshit" to skip and what are the key things to be learning ;)

O chem, I woudlnt try it on your own.

Last edited:
mranak said:
I had my wife did up her college chemistry book from just a few years back.

But yeah, "new" college textbooks are a scam. I spent something like $600 on my wife's college books at the beginning of last year. When they sell so many textbooks, shouldn't the per book cost go down, not up?

the real scam is when it comes time to trade them back in... my biology book cost me 130 and when i tried to return it before the end of the semester they wanted to give me 14 dollars for it.

As soon as a new edition comes out, the older volumes depreciate by 90-95%... even though nothing from the older book is obsolete, its basically the same book with a different cover

Back