Losing or Gaining too quickly? WTF

bronx_brawla

People do...I don't.
I've always heard that losing weight or gaining weight too quickly is bad for you.
Can anybody with knowledge of nutrition and or physiology explain why?

The thing that sparked this question was that i was watching Jay Cutler's - "New, Improved and Beyond" video...and he said in one segmant that he gained like 3 pounds in 2 days. And then i was like...hhmmm...somethins' not right...or is that ok?

whats up?...

Last edited:
In the world of BBing:

Gaining too quickly = too much water or too much fat

Losing too quickly = too much muslce loss

People really don't realize that bodybuilding isn't like everything else out there. More work does not equal more results. You have a certain pace that you can genetically not exceed. If this weren't the case, you could work out 10 hours a day, everyday, and make gains - but you don't see anybody doing this!

So when a Pro BBer is on his off season diet...is he out to gain overall weight?...or strictly lean muscle mass..?

bronx_brawla said:
So when a Pro BBer is on his off season diet...is he out to gain overall weight?...or strictly lean muscle mass..?
Overall weight, but they try to keep the fat down to a minimum. When pro BBers are zoned in for a contest, they can go as low as 3-5% BF but on their off season, they can go up to 10%, but usually not anymore. As you can see, they are leaning more to the overall weight gain, but most definitely try to keep fat at a minimum.

Obviously any pro bb'ers goal is to put on lean muscle only - hey, if they could gain 20lbs of pure muscle in a year that would be amazing. However, it's not realistic and they except a certain amount of fat gain. I also hear that they do no surpass 10%.

If they compete @ 4% bf, they have to drop 6%. Assuming a 300lb pro that's 18lbs of boy fat to lose, and probably anther 10-15 of water...

Back