MCT Oil: Benefits and Protocol for Weight Loss by 3J

3J

Super Moderator
MCT Oil: Benefits and Protocol for Weight Loss
By: 3J
3J's Nutrition | Diet and fitness consulting to get you to the next level.

There has been a recent craze going on about MCT oil and its benefits to the human body. Medium-chain triglycerides (MCT) are an interesting subcategory of dietary fats due to its unique properties. Unlike long-chain triglycerides (LCT), MCTs are composed of a shorter chain of carbon atoms (6-12 vs 12-18). If you understand the difference between a complex carbohydrate and a semi-simple/simple carbohydrate you can also understand the difference between a MCT and a LCT. Yet the effects of LCT and MCT are drastically different in the body vs complex and simple carbs. With carbohydrates the longer the chain is the better it is for you due to its ability to curve insulin response, a very important factor in weight loss. In retrospect, research has found that MCT oil is much more beneficial for weight loss than LCT. MCTs are naturally occurring and can be found in whole foods like cheese, coconut oil, and butter.

MCTs actually have a lower caloric value than LCTs. LCTs are about 9 calories per gram while MCTs are about 8 (1). That’s roughly a 10% reduction in caloric intake. Fats are usually known to reduce the digestive timeline; anything you eat with fats will slow down digestion. LCTs are known to have a slow digestion rate and increase the risk of the energy being converted into fat. Due to the reduced complexity of chain length, MCTs are actually digested at an accelerated rate allowing for conversion into fuel for immediate use by organs and muscles, greatly reducing the risk of fat conversion.

There is a complex process to the ********* conversion of MCTs. Usually, LCTs need the presence of carnitine (a derivative of the amino acid, lysine. Used in the body for the conversion of fat into energy) to be metabolized for energy. MCTs are exempt from this step in the ********* process. More importantly, the ********* conversion of MCTs results in the production of ketones (one of two energy sources the body can use for fuel). Now I am sure this makes a lot of keto dieters out there interested in MCT oil. The quicker you get into keto the better. There a controversial study that states the production of ketones by MCTs allow the body to bypass the use of carbohydrate for energy when consumed in the diet with the oil, but more research needs to be done on the matter to be conclusive. If true, it does hold a great benefit for bodybuilding. There are just too many variable that have not been accounted for in research at this time to make a conclusive statement on the matter. Though research studies have shown a moderate significant difference in the use of MCTs for accelerated weight loss over a 16 week period in humans (-1.67 +/- 0.67 kg) (2), a promising study done on lab rats showed an increase in energy levels and endurance during high endurance physical activity. Using a swimming test, mice fed MCT oil showed both superior endurance and fat burning capabilities to those fed LCTs (3). Research has also shown that rats fed MCT oils vs those fed lard at the same caloric intake resulted in weight loss for the MCT group (4), Further validating the ability of MCTs as a more rapidly available energy source. Another study on MCTs and coconut oil show strong anti-fungal properties when orally ingested (5). The anti-fungal properties of MCTs should reduce yeast in the intestinal tract. There is a very particular balance of flora in the gut that helps digestion. Sometimes that balance is thrown off and yeast starts to dominate the gut. Doctors call this candida. A minimal amount of fungus from yeast in the mouth and digestive tract is actually beneficial for digestion. When there is an overgrowth it breaks down the walls of the intestine and enters the bloodstream. Chronic fatigue, loss of energy, decreased libido, inability to concentrate, and irritability have all been linked to increased yeast in the gut. The use of MCT has proven to reduce yeast in the gut and return balance to the flora.

MCT for Weight Loss

Proper use of MCT oils in weight loss should help the user increase the capacity of reducing body fat while keeping proper energy levels and reducing the likeliness of psychological diet failure. Adding a mixture of caffeine and pure MCT oil to your daily consumption may very well increase the chances of accelerated fat loss and satiety in the process. Based on my experiences with my clients when using an MCT protocol, I believe it does. Below I am going to give a beginners, intermediate, and advanced MCT oil protocol for those looking lose weight.

The blend you are looking for to make this protocol effective is a mixture of 2 cups hot black coffee and a variable amount of MCT oil blended in a blender based on how advanced a protocol you choose to do. Using coffee with your MCT will boost energy levels, increase metabolism, and better curb your appetite. The diet you follow with this MCT protocol should be a low carb (roughly 100-150g carb intake) to ketogenic diet (no carb diet) with an emphasis on high protein.

Beginners MCT Oil Protocol

With the beginners MCT protocol, I would keep the routine simple. If you are on a 2000 calorie restricted diet, I would reduce your intake from food by 200 calories (rougly 25g MCT oil) and use MCT oil to replace that caloric intake, taken first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. I would wait 30 min before eating breakfast also.

Intermediate MCT Oil Protocol

With the intermediate MCT oil protocol, I would follow the same guidelines as the beginners protocol, but replace a meal in the afternoon with another 25g MCT oil and 2 cups coffee. Having said that, if youre at 2000 calories and you are to eat rougly 333 calories per meal in a 6 meal day, you should make sure the other 133 calories come from protein 30 min later.

Advanced MCT Oil Protocol

Disclaimer: This protocol really goes against the grain in terms of philosophies I follow in nutrition. This is for rapid weight loss and should not be used unless rapid weight loss is truly necessary. Since MCTs have been proven to reduce yeast in the gut, your energy levels should stay pretty solid. Also, please consult a physician before starting any new dietary routine.

With the advanced MCT protocol the caloric intake is reduced very low. Usually at about 50-55% below your TDEE. 20-25% of the allowable caloric intake should come specifically from MCT oil and should be split between a morning and afternoon dose with 2 cups coffee. No whole foods are eaten until the evening, where two high protein/fat meals are eaten 3 hours apart from each other that will fill the rest of the caloric requirements up.

Sample Day (roughly 1500 Calorie Diet)

9am
2 cups black coffee
30g MCT oil

2-3pm
2 cups black coffee
30g MCT oil

6pm
13oz Chicken breast (boneless skinless)

9-10pm
10oz 93/7 Ground Beef

I have also seen more extreme measures taken with such a protocol like 14g MCT oil twice a day and only one meal in the evening. Though its very effective at weight loss im sure it would also be very taxing on the body and muscle.

I hope you enjoyed this article on MCT oil

If interested in professional nutrition and training coaching please contact me at 3jdiet@gmail.com

References

1. Kaunitz, H. Dietary use of MCT in “Bilanzierte Ernaehrung in der Therapie,” K. Lang, W. Fekl, and G. Berg, eds. George Thieme Verlag, Stuttgart, 1971.
2. Weight-loss diet that includes consumption of medium-chain triacylglycerol oil leads to a greater rate of weight and fat mass loss than does olive oil.
St-Onge MP1, Bosarge A.
3. Fushiki T, Matsumoto K, Inoue K, Kawada T, Sugimoto E. Swimming endurance capacity of mice is increased by chronic consumption of medium-chain triglycerides. J Nutr 1995 Mar;125(3):531-9
4. Kaunitz, H., Slanetz, C.A., Johnson, R.E., Babayan, V.K., Garsky, G. Nutritional properties of the triglycerides of medium chain-length. J Am Oil Chem Soc, 1958, 35: 10-13
5. Development and characterization of oral lipid-based amphotericin B formulations with enhanced drug solubility, stability and antifungal activity in rats infected with Aspergillus fumigatus or Candida albicans.
Wasan EK1, Bartlett K, Gershkovich P, Sivak O, Banno B, Wong Z, Gagnon J, Gates B, Leon CG, Wasan KM.

Mmmmm, mushrooms in the intestines...

Great writeup 3J! I'm actually going to be trying to use more coconut oil this time, and DEFINITELY NOT on eggs. *shudder* Do you know the difference between the "MCT oil" that's sold, which claims to be coconut oil that has been processed to remove the C-12 (I think that's what it was, lauronic acid (sp?))?

I have been busy with school lately, so I haven't yet really investigated.

Mmmmm, mushrooms in the intestines...

Great writeup 3J! I'm actually going to be trying to use more coconut oil this time, and DEFINITELY NOT on eggs. *shudder* Do you know the difference between the "MCT oil" that's sold, which claims to be coconut oil that has been processed to remove the C-12 (I think that's what it was, lauronic acid (sp?))?

I have been busy with school lately, so I haven't yet really investigated.

i believe its palmitic acid, linoleic acid, and stearic acid that are removed from coconut oil to make mct oil.. since only 10% of coconut oil is mct oil

Last edited by a moderator:
i believe its palmitic acid, linoleic acid, and stearic acid that are remvoed from coconut oil to make mct oil.. since only 10% of coconut oil is mct oil

So, in your professional opinion, do you feel the added expense of picking up "MCT oil" over coconut oil is justified? I really have done little reading into this, so I still need to figure out if it really bypasses the liver for conversion to ketones - or whatever the actual mechanism is.

Well it's the antifungal properties of the coconut oil that make it so appealing.. So i would have to ask the question, how's your gut?

Well it's the antifungal properties of the coconut oil that make it so appealing.. So i would have to ask the question, how's your gut?

Gosh, I haven't had a candida test in ages, and while I do get some interesting potty issues - it's likely due to my missing gallbladder; making fat consumption fun. I do take a probiotic with my fiber every day, and don't suffer any other ill effects that I associate with poor gut health.

On a side note, apparently bile has something to do with sugar alcohol consumption too. I used to plow through these zero calorie cinnamon candies, now I get insane gas!

MCT Oil: Benefits and Protocol for Weight Loss
By: 3J
3J's Nutrition | Diet and fitness consulting to get you to the next level.

There has been a recent craze going on about MCT oil and its benefits to the human body. Medium-chain triglycerides (MCT) are an interesting subcategory of dietary fats due to its unique properties. Unlike long-chain triglycerides (LCT), MCTs are composed of a shorter chain of carbon atoms (6-12 vs 12-18). If you understand the difference between a complex carbohydrate and a semi-simple/simple carbohydrate you can also understand the difference between a MCT and a LCT. Yet the effects of LCT and MCT are drastically different in the body vs complex and simple carbs. With carbohydrates the longer the chain is the better it is for you due to its ability to curve insulin response, a very important factor in weight loss. In retrospect, research has found that MCT oil is much more beneficial for weight loss than LCT. MCTs are naturally occurring and can be found in whole foods like cheese, coconut oil, and butter.

MCTs actually have a lower caloric value than LCTs. LCTs are about 9 calories per gram while MCTs are about 8 (1). That***8217;s roughly a 10% reduction in caloric intake. Fats are usually known to reduce the digestive timeline; anything you eat with fats will slow down digestion. LCTs are known to have a slow digestion rate and increase the risk of the energy being converted into fat. Due to the reduced complexity of chain length, MCTs are actually digested at an accelerated rate allowing for conversion into fuel for immediate use by organs and muscles, greatly reducing the risk of fat conversion.

There is a complex process to the ********* conversion of MCTs. Usually, LCTs need the presence of carnitine (a derivative of the amino acid, lysine. Used in the body for the conversion of fat into energy) to be metabolized for energy. MCTs are exempt from this step in the ********* process. More importantly, the ********* conversion of MCTs results in the production of ketones (one of two energy sources the body can use for fuel). Now I am sure this makes a lot of keto dieters out there interested in MCT oil. The quicker you get into keto the better. There a controversial study that states the production of ketones by MCTs allow the body to bypass the use of carbohydrate for energy when consumed in the diet with the oil, but more research needs to be done on the matter to be conclusive. If true, it does hold a great benefit for bodybuilding. There are just too many variable that have not been accounted for in research at this time to make a conclusive statement on the matter. Though research studies have shown a moderate significant difference in the use of MCTs for accelerated weight loss over a 16 week period in humans (-1.67 +/- 0.67 kg) (2), a promising study done on lab rats showed an increase in energy levels and endurance during high endurance physical activity. Using a swimming test, mice fed MCT oil showed both superior endurance and fat burning capabilities to those fed LCTs (3). Research has also shown that rats fed MCT oils vs those fed lard at the same caloric intake resulted in weight loss for the MCT group (4), Further validating the ability of MCTs as a more rapidly available energy source. Another study on MCTs and coconut oil show strong anti-fungal properties when orally ingested (5). The anti-fungal properties of MCTs should reduce yeast in the intestinal tract. There is a very particular balance of flora in the gut that helps digestion. Sometimes that balance is thrown off and yeast starts to dominate the gut. Doctors call this candida. A minimal amount of fungus from yeast in the mouth and digestive tract is actually beneficial for digestion. When there is an overgrowth it breaks down the walls of the intestine and enters the bloodstream. Chronic fatigue, loss of energy, decreased libido, inability to concentrate, and irritability have all been linked to increased yeast in the gut. The use of MCT has proven to reduce yeast in the gut and return balance to the flora.

MCT for Weight Loss

Proper use of MCT oils in weight loss should help the user increase the capacity of reducing body fat while keeping proper energy levels and reducing the likeliness of psychological diet failure. Adding a mixture of caffeine and pure MCT oil to your daily consumption may very well increase the chances of accelerated fat loss and satiety in the process. Based on my experiences with my clients when using an MCT protocol, I believe it does. Below I am going to give a beginners, intermediate, and advanced MCT oil protocol for those looking lose weight.

The blend you are looking for to make this protocol effective is a mixture of 2 cups hot black coffee and a variable amount of MCT oil blended in a blender based on how advanced a protocol you choose to do. Using coffee with your MCT will boost energy levels, increase metabolism, and better curb your appetite. The diet you follow with this MCT protocol should be a low carb (roughly 100-150g carb intake) to ketogenic diet (no carb diet) with an emphasis on high protein.

Beginners MCT Oil Protocol

With the beginners MCT protocol, I would keep the routine simple. If you are on a 2000 calorie restricted diet, I would reduce your intake from food by 200 calories (rougly 25g MCT oil) and use MCT oil to replace that caloric intake, taken first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. I would wait 30 min before eating breakfast also.

Intermediate MCT Oil Protocol

With the intermediate MCT oil protocol, I would follow the same guidelines as the beginners protocol, but replace a meal in the afternoon with another 25g MCT oil and 2 cups coffee. Having said that, if youre at 2000 calories and you are to eat rougly 333 calories per meal in a 6 meal day, you should make sure the other 133 calories come from protein 30 min later.

Advanced MCT Oil Protocol

Disclaimer: This protocol really goes against the grain in terms of philosophies I follow in nutrition. This is for rapid weight loss and should not be used unless rapid weight loss is truly necessary. Since MCTs have been proven to reduce yeast in the gut, your energy levels should stay pretty solid. Also, please consult a physician before starting any new dietary routine.

With the advanced MCT protocol the caloric intake is reduced very low. Usually at about 50-55% below your TDEE. 20-25% of the allowable caloric intake should come specifically from MCT oil and should be split between a morning and afternoon dose with 2 cups coffee. No whole foods are eaten until the evening, where two high protein/fat meals are eaten 3 hours apart from each other that will fill the rest of the caloric requirements up.

Sample Day (roughly 1500 Calorie Diet)

9am
2 cups black coffee
30g MCT oil

2-3pm
2 cups black coffee
30g MCT oil

6pm
13oz Chicken breast (boneless skinless)

9-10pm
10oz 93/7 Ground Beef

I have also seen more extreme measures taken with such a protocol like 14g MCT oil twice a day and only one meal in the evening. Though its very effective at weight loss im sure it would also be very taxing on the body and muscle.

I hope you enjoyed this article on MCT oil

If interested in professional nutrition and training coaching please contact me at 3jdiet@gmail.com

References

1. Kaunitz, H. Dietary use of MCT in ***8220;Bilanzierte Ernaehrung in der Therapie,***8221; K. Lang, W. Fekl, and G. Berg, eds. George Thieme Verlag, Stuttgart, 1971.
2. Weight-loss diet that includes consumption of medium-chain triacylglycerol oil leads to a greater rate of weight and fat mass loss than does olive oil.
St-Onge MP1, Bosarge A.
3. Fushiki T, Matsumoto K, Inoue K, Kawada T, Sugimoto E. Swimming endurance capacity of mice is increased by chronic consumption of medium-chain triglycerides. J Nutr 1995 Mar;125(3):531-9
4. Kaunitz, H., Slanetz, C.A., Johnson, R.E., Babayan, V.K., Garsky, G. Nutritional properties of the triglycerides of medium chain-length. J Am Oil Chem Soc, 1958, 35: 10-13
5. Development and characterization of oral lipid-based amphotericin B formulations with enhanced drug solubility, stability and antifungal activity in rats infected with Aspergillus fumigatus or Candida albicans.
Wasan EK1, Bartlett K, Gershkovich P, Sivak O, Banno B, Wong Z, Gagnon J, Gates B, Leon CG, Wasan KM.

This is a good write up 3J! I asked about this last month in fact. I always knew of using MCT to add in calories on a bulk. For sure since one measured TBL spoon adds 100 cal if you need to add say 200 cal to a bulk diet its a quick and easy measure to do so.

But I always stopped the MCT once the spring and summer came and started watching my calories. Now I will keep it in and just cut the carbs back, once I stall I will then cut the MCT back.

dont weigh it like that ben.. use a scale..

I have 2 mugs of coffee as soon as I wake....

I'd put the equivalent of the 2 mugs in a blender, add 25mg of MCT oil and then separate into the mugs to drink.

I usually have my eggs/oats pancake 45 mins later.

Sound good?

I had read that coconut oil isn't pure MCT oil like I thought, the article I read suggests that C8 or C10 are the best of the MCT's in coconut oil..... so my question is what "pure" MCT oil do you guys use? I had bought some coconut oil that claims high MCT's but I'd like to get full MCT oil and follow the protocols above... suggestions on brand?

I had read that coconut oil isn't pure MCT oil like I thought, the article I read suggests that C8 or C10 are the best of the MCT's in coconut oil..... so my question is what "pure" MCT oil do you guys use? I had bought some coconut oil that claims high MCT's but I'd like to get full MCT oil and follow the protocols above... suggestions on brand?

2/3s of the fat in coconut is a medium chain triglyceride (mct) . The other fat in it is called "Lauric Acid", a rare and very 'healthy' beneficial fat. so with coconut you get both, if you go with pure mct oil you do not.

2/3s of the fat in coconut is a medium chain triglyceride (mct) . The other fat in it is called "Lauric Acid", a rare and very 'healthy' beneficial fat. so with coconut you get both, if you go with pure mct oil you do not.

Okay thanks I was just reading on that more actually, apparently caprylic acid is the best, then capric. The article I was reading suggests that lauric acid is sometimes marketed as a MCT because it has the make up of one but the body actually breaks it down like a LCT, so from a biological perspective it's not a MCT.

My coconut oil has a high content of caprylic and capric acid according to the label, but obviously the coconut oil is 130 cal per serving because of the lauric acid. So maybe I will get MCT oil and use both.... do the intermediate plan outlined above and use coconut oil for the afternoon dose.

Trying to change my diet up a bit to drop some more BF before I start that test cycle, and also keep perfecting my diet to run the same way well on cycle. I have been doing 40/40/20 of 2,000 calories which gets me 2 pounds a week but I feel like I could make better progress by going higher fat and dropping carbs to 100-150 like stated above.

just wanted to share that I tried the coconut oil prior to breakfast, I had 1&1/2 a tablespoon with two black coffees. I know it's not pure MCT so maybe not as good for weight loss or energy, however I did notice a significant boost in energy and mental focus well waking up about 15 minutes after taking the oil with coffee. I know all the energy wasn't coffee as I am a regular coffee drinker. I waited 30 minutes then had my normal breakfast... hopefully it helps keep my energy up for the early morning gym visit.

Back