My lil puppy is sick

supergirl

so this past 3 weeks, i have been in and out of the vet with my 5 month old pitt... i can NOT believe the attachment i already have with him... he is like my kid lol.. i could not imagine having a real kid...
anyway.. my puppy has a genetic severe case of demedex (a skin disorder).. well this has escalated and has gone into his kidneys.. his can not concentrate his urine.. if anyone is familiar with low specific gravity of urine it means 2 things.. either diabetes insipidus or renal failure which could be terminal...

now on monday we are doing a urine culture as his white blood cell count is high.. this means he has an infection somewhere..

i am praying he has an infection in his kidney thus causing his low specific gravity.. that would be the EASY answer which can be fixed with antibiotics and he will be fine... if he does not have an infection there, then we start a slew of tests to find the problem (either of the 2 possibilities which are both rare)

i can NOT imagine having a real sick child... the amount of stress and heartache i am going through over a dog is crazy... it is crazy the attachment and love you can have for an animal... i luv this dog like he is my kid.. it is so funny because i never imagined i could get so attached..

OK.. well has anyone experienced this low specific gravity of urine with their pet??? I am sure some of you can relate!!

The thing is that dogs love you unconditionally.. it is almost impossible not to return that love. My personal life has been a mess lately and this dog has been with me through it all, weird as it sounds and i can not imagine losing him now...

ok.. just had to vent.. sorry for the rant :)

although I cant ofer any advice on his condition, you have my best wishes for that lil pup!!! Its true we do get so attached to them.. "mans best friend" is normaly true! Hope everything goes alright! :)

Awwwwwww............SG. I feel for ya. I had a very sick cat who passed away after I'd had her about 5 years. I was devasted. She was like my child.

I'm not familiar with the conditions you describe but send my best wishes for you AND the puppy. Hope everything turns out okay. :)

Awww supergirl that sucks..

When I had putbulls- they always had various skin conditions, I remember there was 2 types of mange they always used to get that they had to be dipped at the vets and we used creams, its too bad your babys escalated like that.. I hope he gets well soon!!

sorry supergirl , my rat terrier is about 10-11 and i dread it when his time comes , i wish you luck

I'm sorry to hear about your puppy. I can't offer any adivice either but I know I would be devastated if anything ever happened to either of my babies. I have a Rotti, and a Shepherd. Harley, my shepherd has really bad arthritis in one of his hips and sometimes he can't even put his leg down all the way when he walks. It makes me really sad. I give him Joint Relief and I'm sure it helps a bit but I wish there was something else I could do for him. Good luck sweetie!

thanks for all the replies!!! It is nice to have the support!! i can not believe how much his health is affecting me.. i am such a sap lol

Hey Nicole.. they "think" but of course don't want to take full blame that all the insecticids and antibiotics they used for his skin (demedex) might be the root of the infection or kidney failure.

His specific gravity is only 1005.. way below normal and his white blood cell count is high still. SO now on tuesday we are testing the urine for an infection and they are doing an ultrasound as well...

wish him luck :)

supergirl said:
thanks for all the replies!!! It is nice to have the support!! i can not believe how much his health is affecting me.. i am such a sap lol

There's nothing sappy about caring for a 4-legged pal.

His specific gravity is only 1005.. way below normal and his white blood cell count is high still. SO now on tuesday we are testing the urine for an infection and they are doing an ultrasound as well...

wish him luck :)

Tuesday? Why the long wait?

Sure hope the little pup pulls through.

--dave

Mr. dB said:
There's nothing sappy about caring for a 4-legged pal.

Tuesday? Why the long wait?

Sure hope the little pup pulls through.

--dave

the doctor needs his body to clear out the antibiotics he was on for a minimum of 5 days in order to get an accurate urine culture...

sucks too because he is in pain and suffering until tues...

thanks DB :)

ah.. hey SG.. thanks for asking...

well we had 7 days off the antibiotics and wouldn't ya know it.. today when he gets his urine test, his specific gravity is back to normal..

i swear it was the antibiotics that were making him sick, but god only knows..

i get the results of both the urine culture and the skin culture in 3-5 days..

she prescribed another antibiotic for his skin, but in all honesty, i really feel that i want to keep him off everything and give his own immune system a chance to strengthen up on it's own...

i am calling another vet for a second opinion tomorrow :)

ok.. so now how do i house break him LOL.. he is just not getting it and the wee wee pads don;t work either !!! He pees in the house on the hard wood floors about 2-3 times a day.. plus i take him outside about 5 times a day.. WTF!!! talk about an overactive bladder.. or is it just a disipline thing??

supergirl said:
ok.. so now how do i house break him LOL.. he is just not getting it and the wee wee pads don;t work either !!! He pees in the house on the hard wood floors about 2-3 times a day.. plus i take him outside about 5 times a day.. WTF!!! talk about an overactive bladder.. or is it just a disipline thing??

I always crate trained my puppies... have you tried that?

Nicole said:
I always crate trained my puppies... have you tried that?

yes he has a crate..

Honestly Nic.. i think what the problem is, is that he does not know how to let me know that he has to pee.. so he just pees when he needs to..

so how do i train him to let me know he needs to go out??? that is the million dollar question lol

I am now a certified peepee cleaner hehhee

supergirl said:
yes he has a crate..

Honestly Nic.. i think what the problem is, is that he does not know how to let me know that he has to pee.. so he just pees when he needs to..

so how do i train him to let me know he needs to go out??? that is the million dollar question lol

I am now a certified peepee cleaner hehhee

hahaha!!! The poor little guy!!

See we always had the dog sleep in his crate at night... most of the time they wouldnt want to pee in the crate- so as soon as we heard him awake in the am.. we would take him out until he pee'd outside, then he would have full run of the house for a while... we would go towork and crate him again... come home take him out until he pee'd then give he treats and full run of the house...
after a few hours if he had water availible we would take him out again.. and reward him if he took care of things outside and play with him.. eventually they would get in the habit of peeing outside and rewards.. it takes time.. and disapline if there was accidents....

I wish you luck- because you need TONS of patience and time and papertowels!!

ok Nic.. HELP!!!
i took Rex outside.. he peed and pooped.. we were out for like 10mins.. then we come inside and i put him back in the crate, i close the door and go in the other room..
I come back in the room where he is and there he is lying in a pool of piss in his crate!! Eyes shut, sleeping in his piss!! So so much for that idea.. I guess my dog did not get the memo not to pee in his crate LOL..

what do i do?? He is just not getting this whole not allowed to pee inside whenever he damn well feels like it idea!!!

anyone... HELP!!! thanks

supergirl said:
ok Nic.. HELP!!!
i took Rex outside.. he peed and pooped.. we were out for like 10mins.. then we come inside and i put him back in the crate, i close the door and go in the other room..
I come back in the room where he is and there he is lying in a pool of piss in his crate!! Eyes shut, sleeping in his piss!! So so much for that idea.. I guess my dog did not get the memo not to pee in his crate LOL..

what do i do?? He is just not getting this whole not allowed to pee inside whenever he damn well feels like it idea!!!

anyone... HELP!!! thanks

hahhahaa!! OMG!!

Maybe we could start a thread in chat.. hahaha Im sure someones got to have some advice!!

My boyfriend and I are going through the same damn thing! I bought him a chocolate lab for his birthday and she is now 5 months old. Apparently she didn't get that memo either! We did however read in a book that if you hang a parrot bell right by the door you usually take him out to go pee, and you hit his nose on it every time he goes outside, eventually he will learn to ring the bell when he needs to go. I know this sounds like a stretch, but it is really beginning to work for our little mut. Just a thought.

Dtownchick57 said:
My boyfriend and I are going through the same damn thing! I bought him a chocolate lab for his birthday and she is now 5 months old. Apparently she didn't get that memo either! We did however read in a book that if you hang a parrot bell right by the door you usually take him out to go pee, and you hit his nose on it every time he goes outside, eventually he will learn to ring the bell when he needs to go. I know this sounds like a stretch, but it is really beginning to work for our little mut. Just a thought.

knowing me, i will strangle him with that damn bell LOL...

the peeing is subsiding a bit,.. but i am trying to take him outside every 2 hours.. and as soon as he wakes up.. as soon as i get home etc..
he pees when i yell at him for chasing the cat lol.. and he pees if he gets nervous.. plus if i ignore him, he pees.. down right spiteful if ya ask me..

but thank you for the suggestion.. can't hurt right :)

Back