my melt point protocol!!!

Read these instructions and then associate them with the pics.

1st you want to take your foil and put thermo half way across it as shown, then roll the foil like rolling a joint a bit, then fold the top over the thermo and roll it a bit more, tear off some and don't roll too thick. Now form that excess at tip of thermo (may have to pull thermo out a tad) and form a little cup, or trough, and set on your heating stir plate at medium or so heat. Put the thermo propped up at end on the EDGE of plate and push closer to center for faster heating and toward the edge for more slow heating and then consistant heating. Watch temp and when its close take the tip of a knife and drop a tad of powder onto the trough part of your foil (trying to get the powder to sit on the top of the round hump in that trough and not in the edges and not at the very tip of your trough as this is closer to the center of the heat and not as accurate) Pay close attention to your temp before you dump your powder on, if it is souring this will skew your results. When the temp is about 118 C (the beginning melt point of Pop) as you see, the prop just simply melts and is melted within 2 degree to 120 but this happens so fast I could not get all the pics in at this quickness. I could slow down the melt by having pulled it farther away from the center of heat but I have done this so many times that I don't do it that slow anymore..... time is money!!!

Hope this helps some of you bros out!!!
Sorry my stirplate is messy, this is the one I use for melt tests and I occasionally spill hormone on it and that shit stains!!! LOL

Awesome, really appreciate the time you put into this starks. I'll be sure to be giving this a try..... Thanks bud!!

Just make sure you guys have a really good thermometer. This one reads up to 260 degree C and is a Fischer brand. It is the easiest accurate method I have tried.

Thanks for the pics and info bro.
Going to try this with my powder.
But this is something you should do everytime you get new powder or just when you are getting a new powder source?

1st you want to take your foil and put thermo half way across it as shown, then roll the foil like rolling a joint a bit, then fold the top over the thermo and roll it a bit more, tear off some and don't roll too thick. Now form that excess at tip of thermo (may have to pull thermo out a tad) and form a little cup, or trough, and set on your heating stir plate at medium or so heat. Put the thermo propped up at end on the EDGE of plate and push closer to center for faster heating and toward the edge for more slow heating and then consistant heating. Watch temp and when its close take the tip of a knife and drop a tad of powder onto the trough part of your foil (trying to get the powder to sit on the top of the round hump in that trough and not in the edges and not at the very tip of your trough as this is closer to the center of the heat and not as accurate) Pay close attention to your temp before you dump your powder on, if it is souring this will skew your results. When the temp is about 118 C (the beginning melt point of Pop) as you see, the prop just simply melts and is melted within 2 degree to 120 but this happens so fast I could not get all the pics in at this quickness. I could slow down the melt by having pulled it farther away from the center of heat but I have done this so many times that I don't do it that slow anymore..... time is money!!!

Sorry my stirplate is messy, this is the one I use for melt tests and I occasionally spill hormone on it and that shit stains!!! LOL

I dont want to hijack your thread, but i just came up with a super easy way to do melting point tests myself. I use an infrared temperature gun with the laser pointer built in. They used to be expensive, but they a quite inexpensive these days. You can order them online, and they just need a nine volt battery. I have a steel plate that a lay on my hot plate for doing these testst. I put a pinch of powder on the plate and aim the gun at the powder (thats very important, i will explain in a minute). With this temp gun, it has a digital readout, you can watch the temp of the powder climb, when it melts, note the reading on the gun, and there you go. I think this is a very easy way to do it, and quite accurate. Luckily, ive never had bad powder, so when doing these tests, my gun is accurate within a few degrees. Much easier than trying to read a thermometer.
Note! These guns are only accurate when aimed at things that are not reflective, and you must hold the gun the correct distance from the object you are measuring. So, thats why i put the powder on a flat black metal plate. Foil is too reflective and can skew your readings. If you keep it aimed right on the powder, you will be amazed by its accuracy.
They range from $30 - $170. You dont need the $170 model for accurate readings. Mine was $50.
Just my .02 cents

I dont want to hijack your thread, but i just came up with a super easy way to do melting point tests myself. I use an infrared temperature gun with the laser pointer built in. They used to be expensive, but they a quite inexpensive these days. You can order them online, and they just need a nine volt battery. I have a steel plate that a lay on my hot plate for doing these testst. I put a pinch of powder on the plate and aim the gun at the powder (thats very important, i will explain in a minute). With this temp gun, it has a digital readout, you can watch the temp of the powder climb, when it melts, note the reading on the gun, and there you go. I think this is a very easy way to do it, and quite accurate. Luckily, ive never had bad powder, so when doing these tests, my gun is accurate within a few degrees. Much easier than trying to read a thermometer.
Note! These guns are only accurate when aimed at things that are not reflective, and you must hold the gun the correct distance from the object you are measuring. So, thats why i put the powder on a flat black metal plate. Foil is too reflective and can skew your readings. If you keep it aimed right on the powder, you will be amazed by its accuracy.
They range from $30 - $170. You dont need the $170 model for accurate readings. Mine was $50.
Just my .02 cents

Back