My new Diet - Totally going against the norm

Roush

I am banned!
So I'm 9 or so weeks into a cycle that was to be 22 weeks long. first half was to be a bulk running NPP, Deca, Dbol, Test, Proviron and then transitioning to lowering body fat after the bulk, also running Primo, Mast, and Tbol.

Any how,, 9 weeks in and I put on 30 pounds.. body fat is at 14%,, I have not hit my goal weight and was not planning to cut just yet,, but, feeling like total shit and unhealthy (my bulk was a very clean bulk with only clean foods).. My body is just not liking that I put on 30 pounds that quick,,

I'm lethargic, un-focused, trouble breathing, headaches constantly, high blood pressure (was 186/106 for some time,, then dropped to 150/90,, got it down a bit again, but then went back up).. So decided I'm going to cut back now,, lean out instead of continuing to bulk.

So,, I completely revamped my diet 6 days ago,, to what I will describe below. But, thus far in only 6 days of this diet I have lowered my blood pressure to 113/59 this morning.. lowest its ever been,, headaches are gone, lost 5 pounds (prob all water weight)..

Here is the diet

- 70-80 % fat
- 20-25% protein
- NO carbs (except what carbs show up in a few vegetables)

instead of eating lean cuts of white meat, lean beef, egg whites, etc.. I will be eating

- Bacon
- the fattiest cuts of steak I can get
- fattiest cuts of ground beef
- dark meat chicken and turkey dosed with a bunch of fatty gravy
- salmon
- whole eggs
- real raw BUTTER, lots of it on everything
- coconut oil

veggies -- green leafy veggies with the fattiest salad dressing I can get and plenty of fatty avocados and olives in there with it

again,, CARBS,, none whatsoever

here are my reasons for going with this diet..

- first off its not a bodybuilding diet per se,, I'm going with total body HEALTH first and foremost and the body building aspect is secondary

- the body only needs FAT and PROTEIN to survive,, carbohydrates are non essential.. why does the body store fat ? Because fat is needed for the body to function in all aspects (brain, hormones, energy, etc etc).. the body itself is made up of FAT and proteins, NOT carbohydrates (the brain itself is all fat),, carbs/sugars are essentially a drug thats taken into the body.. that drug converts to glucose and we then use that for energy (the body and the brain both),, instead of the natural way (using fat).. so I've eliminated carbs because I do not want to depend on glucose for energy and have up and down spikes in insulin levels all day.

- so having NO CARBS -- I need to replace those calories,, so its being replaced with FAT.. the essential food the body depends on the most (no fat, and you die) but isn't a high fat diet bad and unhealthy ? no,, but fats with carbs is unhealthy.. consuming fat does NOT make fat go into your fat cells,, consuming carbs is what does that. . Carbs, which are all just sugar, convert to glucose and insulin is raised and insulin is the ONLY hormone in the body that has the ability to drive this glucose to store fat into fat tissues for storage and to create more fat tissues.. take away the glucose and the insulin (i.e. take away the carb), and the fat that is consumed is used for body functions and energy,, NOT fat storage.

SO.. yes I'm eating a shit ton of FAT to get lean and begin to cut

- energy source for my body -- If I cut carbs out completely then I will not be having glucose in my system, which the brain and body use for energy,, and eventually all my glycogen stores will be depleted (glycogen is glucose stored in muscle cells).. so how will I have or get any energy.. ?

well with the absence of glucose and depleted glycogen stores my body will begin using my body fat for energy, and then when that process begins the body will produce its own natural source of energy to feed the body and brain.. Ketones -- the body will produce Ketone bodies which are natural (unlike sugars).. no more glucose,, the brain will rely completely on ketones,, and this comes from the fat burring process in the absence of glucose.. so, when my body is completely depleted of glycogen stores and has turned fully to fat burring mode,, I will then be producing ketones for energy and be in a state of "Ketosis"… Its been 6 days,, I'll probabley get there in about another week.

- Medium to LOW protein intake -- why ? Won't you loose muscle because of low protein while cutting ?

first off, I'm NOT going into a calorie deficit,, I'm going into ketosis,, turning my body into a fat burning machine where I use only fat for energy and thus don't need to be in a calorie deficit to burn fat.

second,, I will NOT be catabolic - I won't be in a calorie deficit and being my body is producing ketones and ketones will be in the blood stream available 24/7,, my muscles and body will ALWAYS use those for energy and NEVER use its own 'muscle' for energy (unless there is an absence of ketones).. ketones are the brain and bodies preferred energy source and as long as its there it will use it,, so no catabolism

third,, low protein because the body has the ability, with high doses of protein, to convert the extra amino acids into glucose.. I do not want that,, I want to stay in ketosis and use only ketones for energy,, which means I'm ONLY ever using fat for fuel.

fourth,, I think the masteron, primoboaln, proviron, and test will help me stay quite anabolic

there is more to all this,, but this post is long enough.. I'll be consuming a high FAT diet for awhile and keep this thread updated.

blood work will come at some point to check cholesterol, but from all the things I've read,, this type of diet will better my cholesterol, not worsen it. fat does not make you fat nor worsen your cholesterol , but fat with carbs can.. carbs, glucose,, thats the ingredient that gives fat a bad rap

Let us know how it goes for you brother. I really wanted to try bulking in ketosis, but chickened out when I started planning out the grocery bill. If you've never gone into ketosis, be warned - the first two weeks before your liver starts producing the ketones in great numbers is a doozy! :)

And keep in mind that your energy levels are going to be lower which will affect your training. You know the old expression about marathoners hitting the wall? Well that is you permanently on ketosis.

How many grams of protein are you going to get daily? You have to make sure you get enough to preserve muscle.

And I recommend supllementing psyllium or some other type of soluble fiber in addition to your avocados. Otherwise you are going to be constipated.

Good luck! I have been doing keto for about 6 months with a few breaks here and there.

I have not sat down and calculated my macros yet,, was bulking at 3200 calories,, will prob jump down to 2500 for this and tweak from there ,, that will prob put protien around 150 grams per day.

First things first will just be trying to get used to eating a high fat diet.. Been eating very low fat and lean for 10 or so years,, so getting used to high fat foods may take a bit before I know really what foods are best for me and then from there can really dial in the diet and macros .

I will be taking in plenty of kale, leafy greens, etc for fiber and vitamin and minerals.

I'm hoping to make it past the initial wall with not too much trouble,, I know here soon im gonna be out of it though.. Weird thing is I never crave sweets, I don't like sweets much at all,, But I've suddenly started craving cookies and ice cream.. Withdrawl from the drug I suppose (drug being the carbs)

Mega -- with your breaks from keto are you dropping your fat way down and then loading up on carbs to replenish glycogen ? Or are yiur just 'resetting' yiur system,, just curious about the breaks and how you use them

My thought was maybe 6 weeks from now,, having dropped to single digit bf %,, To drop fat for two days and load up on clean carbs to get "swole" and replenish glycogen (was thinking that dropping the fat means when the insulin spike occurs the insulin will be driving glucose into muscles but have no fat available for fat cells )

Keto seems like it's getting more and more popular, I'm also starting keto with the exact some ratios as you. Will be running a test e and eq cycle with an anadrol kickstart starting this Monday.

I am not doing refeeds. I took one break when my hockey season started up and then got back on Keto after about 4 weeks. And then I took another break after I was on for a really long time and needed to get my metabolism going again. I also of course cheated on Turkey Day, Xmas and family birthdays. A few work dinners too. But I knew I was doing this for the long haul so a few set backs wasn't the end of the world.

I do eat some carbs before/during my hockey games though. Say 40g to get me through the game. It doesn't get me back to 100% but it definitely helps.

When I first started keto I had a different craving every day for the first two weeks. One day all I wanted was pancakes and I only eat pancakes maybe once a year. :)

Pretty Much the diet im on.... im opposite i Bulked a long time on tren now im cutting on NPP lol

Are any of u guys doing refeeds? ? I'm hearing so many mixed reviews, I was planning on incorporating one once a week.

Are any of u guys doing refeeds? ? I'm hearing so many mixed reviews, I was planning on incorporating one once a week.

Personally - I wouldn't do a re-feed until after being in ketosis for quite some time,, then incorporating re feeds if desired.. Not speaking from experience here. Just saying I think getting yiur body accustomed to something so you know how you feel and what's going on in your body..

If yiur just getting into ketosis and you do weekly re feeds, you'll be to up and down to really know what it's like being fully keto .. I'd say get fully keto first , and adapt from there .

Note : a weekly carb re feed once a week is essentially the same thing as Kiefers "carb night" philosophy

Personally - I wouldn't do a re-feed until after being in ketosis for quite some time,, then incorporating re feeds if desired.. Not speaking from experience here. Just saying I think getting yiur body accustomed to something so you know how you feel and what's going on in your body..

If yiur just getting into ketosis and you do weekly re feeds, you'll be to up and down to really know what it's like being fully keto .. I'd say get fully keto first , and adapt from there .

Note : a weekly carb re feed once a week is essentially the same thing as Kiefers "carb night" philosophy

Fuck i was already looking forward for Sunday

Let me put it this way; a refeed with carbs will kick you out of ketosis, which requires another week minimum to get back into. You gain around 4-9lbs almost over night as you start retaining water again, which can really mess with your head.

I'd do them ONLY if the cravings got to me, and it was a special occasion. Of course the "hangover" the next morning (you do get kind of high from the surge of sugars) reminds you that you may have made a mistake.

At least that's my take on it. :)

I wont comment too much on this since responses to keto diets are very individual - some people do great on them (me included) but others suffer dramatically (horrible psychological effects, training is poor, muscle loss, etc).

I just want to say that things like refeeds depend on context - if your doing it for health benefits like Roush then I see no need since you should be eating at maintenance.
If your dieting then the rules change dramatically.

Also, for those who get cravings even after being in keto for a while - that's leptin resistance and ignoring it is only going to lead to a bigger binge in the end.
Listen to your body and react appropriately.

Last edited:
Positives and negatives thus far -- 7 days in,, no carbs.. I'll be buying a ketone meter to test my blood ketone levels soon so I'll know when I'm in full ketosis .. Doubt I'm there yet,, but here's things of note so far

Positives
- daily headaches I've had are gone
- blood pressure is down
- resting heart rate is no longer too high
- water retention down
- stomach ache issues are subsiding
- sleep apnea symptoms totally gone (this was one main concern that led to me quitting the bulk)
- breathing is better,, I'm not reaching for the oxygen after a 25 min banging session w the wifey
- sleeping better and through the night

Negatives
- I'm no longer as swole, full and vascular
- thirsty all the time
- appetite is way low and suppressed (this could be a good thing for someone in a calorie deficit diet, but I'm not wanting to be in a deficit,, and I enjoy having a hearty appetite)
- appetite is down for real food, yet I'm craving sugar and sweets (which I've never liked anyways)
- brain fog,, Feel slightly out of it
- lifting endurance is down .. I feel as strong as usual on the first couple sets,, but when I get to sets 4-5 I'm struggling to hit my target rep range ,, where as before I would push through to get there

It will get better in a week or so. The "flatness" and vascularity however are going to be that way for the duration unfortunately. I'm not saying that you won't still look big and be veiny, but it is going to be drastically reduced.

Roush, let me ask you how do you think you would do if you had to perform under heavy aerobic conditions like a HIIT workout and have to carry weight and do work? Would you get tired quickly? Would you find yourself gasping for air?

My bp is perfect already i do feel weaker in the gym mood is getting better as well as sleep. My cravings arent as bad im adapting pretty good and lost like 5lbs of water

Roush, let me ask you how do you think you would do if you had to perform under heavy aerobic conditions like a HIIT workout and have to carry weight and do work? Would you get tired quickly? Would you find yourself gasping for air?

Right now I would not do well at all,, my glycogen stores are low and I have no glucose coming in for energy .. BUT once my glycogen stores are fully depleted and my body makes a metabolism switch as well as goes into ketosis and my liver begins producing ketones for energy .. Then I will have an unlimited supply of energy , sort of speak,, being fat will be my source of energy now,, I won't have to depend on an outside source to get energy, ie carbs..

Plenty of world class athletes have went into full ketosis and done marathons and triathlons with great success using fat and ketones for fuel,, where the other athletes are dependent on glucose,, which during a triathlon glucose can run out (ketones do not) and that athlete is screwed and has to stop and consume carbs to continue on

I'll keep you updated,, right now I'm only doing 30 mins of moderate cardio a day.. Once I'm in ketosis I will then be doing high intensity as well as HIIT

Back