My new Diet - Totally going against the norm

Love high fat diets. Always feel better on them. Does anyone know, when you get that "flat" look, approximately how many carbs it would take to get the "full" look back?

Yeah just looking for an estimate though. One or two grams per lb of LBM? Or perhaps more than that.

Sometimes I go to heavy on the carbs I think.

I don't know the exact numbers, but let's says you have 3 pounds of glycogen stored up in you (which among other things depends on muscle mass). Glycogen also binds to water at something like 2:1 or 3:1 ratio (can't recall exactly). So you are looking at something like 6 to 9 pounds total between the glycogen and water weight that needs to be put back on.

This is why guys that binge on carbs while on a keto diet see the scale go up 4-5 pounds the next day. But you need to eat enough of a surplus in carbs to replenish the lost glycogen.

Zilla or 3J or lots of other guys probably know the exact numbers and mechanism for how it works.

Yeah just looking for an estimate though. One or two grams per lb of LBM? Or perhaps more than that.

Sometimes I go to heavy on the carbs I think.

If your consuming say 3000 calories per day and your macros are such
2000 calories from fat
950 calories from protein
50 calories from carbs

when you go to carb load up,, simply drop the 2000 calories of fat and replace it with carbs,, that will keep your macros exactly the same without going into a big calorie surplus during a carb load.

also, by removing that fat at that time the body will not have dietary fat available at the time of the insulin spike (Carbs + dietary fat = stored body fat)

Day 9 without carbs and consuming high FAT- Finally feeling really good now, energy is up compared to last several days.
Yesterday had energy to do 40 mins cardio on the bike, a 20 minute run, 25 mins high intensity with the wifey, and a 50 minute leg day workout (strength was just fine)

Additional benefits noticed thus far-
- I'm off of my acid reflux / GIRD medicine ,, been off it since starting the diet,, had problems without the medication at first, but I've been pain free the last 24 hours
- brain fog is now gone
- mental anxiety and frustration , gone
- BP is lower as I stated before, but now my skin is no longer as red and flushed as it had been
- sleep has been really good
- inflammation is down, headaches are gone as well as body aches

Negatives -- I'm not as swole,, That's about it at this point

Ketone meter should be here soon,, Im guessing that with the mood change to positive I may just be getting into ketosis ,, Doing cardio sessions along with high intensity lifting probably depleted my glycogen stores rather quickly

Last edited:
That makes sense. Carb up once a week or so?

That would basically be a CKD diet .. Works well for some guys,, others don't like the up and down of being in ketosis, then throwing yourself out with carbs then having to go through the depletion process again .. But you'll have a day or two per week where u get that swole pump

Me personally -- I'm thinking of going without carbs indefinitely ,, lots of medical research going on right now that is tying our consumption of carbohydrates to all of our modern diseases - heart disease , diabetes, Alzheimer's, auto immune diseases, cancer (cancer cells thrive on glucose)

couple weeks into the diet now.. ketone sticks that you piss on indicate that I am in ketosis , still waiting for ketone meter to monitor my blood ketone levels..

anyhow,, an update --

- Energy levels and focus are very good right now,, I have energy to do an hour of cardio mid day, and to spend an hour in the gym at the end of the day
- my strength has not really gone down, but I do seem to not hit my rep range when I'm in my 4th or 5th set

feel all around pretty good on this diet thus far,, and as i had listed before a lot of health issues have seemed to resolve themselves.. I've been on medication for acid reflux for the last 5 years,, I'm completely off that medication now.

one big negative.. I occasionally suffer from gallbladder attacks,, comes and goes here and there,, but, now on this diet, starting a few days ago,, I've had slight constant gallbladder pain,, from what I've read, a high fat diet makes the gallbladder constrict more, and work more essentially creating more bile.. some people say that they get over this after a few weeks.

but anyway,, that is the only one big negative with this diet thus far. oh yeah, and the not being as 'swole' as I was with all the glycogen and water stores in the muscle

Back