Needed tools to do homebrew at home

Giru

Hi guys!, i am new in this forum but i was keeping a eye on it. i read a lot of here since i got registered. I wanna do my own homebrew at home and i was thinking about syringe filters, but after read a lot of experiencies of the people, i don't mind to invest a little bit more and get a bottle top filter. My dudes are that i don't know exactly what to buy. i think i will buy a 150ml Nalgene MF75 Bottle Top Filter with a 33mm neck but after that i need a glass to connect to it right? And also i need to buy the filter separatly right? which one do you recommend? and of course i know i need a vacuum pump, hehehehe.

Am i going by the correct way?

Thnaks!

Hi guys!, i am new in this forum but i was keeping a eye on it. i read a lot of here since i got registered. I wanna do my own homebrew at home and i was thinking about syringe filters, but after read a lot of experiencies of the people, i don't mind to invest a little bit more and get a bottle top filter. My dudes are that i don't know exactly what to buy. i think i will buy a 150ml Nalgene MF75 Bottle Top Filter with a 33mm neck but after that i need a glass to connect to it right? And also i need to buy the filter separatly right? which one do you recommend? and of course i know i need a vacuum pump, hehehehe.

Am i going by the correct way?

Thnaks!

Look for complete filtration systems on Ebay and Amazon. There are some really affordable ones.

For example, if you go to this page, you can find several complete filtration systems for around $60.

items in store on eBay!

Be sure to buy the 0.20 um (micron) membrane filters that are sold separately. 50 pieces for under $20.

Good luck and cheers!

Last edited:
ey Buttman thank you so much for your info, it really helped me a lot, but those are generic filter systems right? Doesn't really matter for filter? what about the millipore stericups PVDF .22 bottle top filters like kataklysum said? As i see the are made of plastic, so they are made to use sometimes en throw them away, also I saw in the forum a lot of people use those one or the Nalgene 150ml, are all of them the same or where is exactly the difference? I think is better get ones mad eof glass so you can clean them for the next batch, right?

Thanks again guys!!!

Ansous to choose a filtration system and do my first batch!

ey Buttman thank you so much for your info, it really helped me a lot, but those are generic filter systems right? Doesn't really matter for filter? what about the millipore stericups PVDF .22 bottle top filters like kataklysum said? As i see the are made of plastic, so they are made to use sometimes en throw them away, also I saw in the forum a lot of people use those one or the Nalgene 150ml, are all of them the same or where is exactly the difference? I think is better get ones mad eof glass so you can clean them for the next batch, right?

Thanks again guys!!!

Ansous to choose a filtration system and do my first batch!

You're welcome mate.

About your question, yeah, it's a generic filter system, and the parts are glass (the funnel and the receiving bottle/flask). You can message the eBay merchant to verify the info.

As to the filter, the one that you see in the first picture, the white filter in the glass funnel - that one is a "coarse filter." The eBay description says its around 2 um (micro meter) or less. So it is good to use as a pre filter to remove large particles.

But to filter out small bacteria (1 um or smaller), you would need the fine filters (0.2 um) seen in the second picture.

As far as which filter system to use - Millipore, Nalgene, or generic glass filter... I suppose it comes down to personal preference and budget.

The Millipore and Nalgene are simple to use and are disposable. I have seen these disposable filters used in my biology class, but I don't have first hand experience with them, so you might want to ask the other members here for their inputs.

If budget is a concern, then the generic glass filter is cheaper in the long run, because all you need is to buy the replacement filter papers, which are inexpensive.

Hope that answers your questions. Cheers.

Thanks a lot Buttman3. This give me a better idea whit what to do. I am only going to brew for me and maybe 1 friend more. So i think the best option will be a glass system filtration, so i can apply more pressure with the vacuum pump and no risk to crack the glass like to some people happened with millipore o nalgene, and i will have only to buy the filters for next batches. Also i saw millipore it comes in packs of 10 or 12 and i think i am not gonna use them right now,hahahah, maybe in 1 year if i only brew for me and a friend!heheh. Luckily the budget is not a problem for me nowadays. So, can i ask you for curiosity which system do you use? The same you posted to me?

Thanks a lot bro!

Thanks a lot Buttman3. This give me a better idea whit what to do. I am only going to brew for me and maybe 1 friend more. So i think the best option will be a glass system filtration, so i can apply more pressure with the vacuum pump and no risk to crack the glass like to some people happened with millipore o nalgene, and i will have only to buy the filters for next batches. Also i saw millipore it comes in packs of 10 or 12 and i think i am not gonna use them right now,hahahah, maybe in 1 year if i only brew for me and a friend!heheh. Luckily the budget is not a problem for me nowadays. So, can i ask you for curiosity which system do you use? The same you posted to me?

Thanks a lot bro!

Glad to help, mate :).

About your question: I use syringe filters. Much cheaper but they take longer to filter. But this isn't a problem for me, because I only brew around 20ml which can last me for a few months.

If / when I have the extra money, I would definitely get the glass filtration system.

thanks for your answer again Buttman3. I was thinking about the syringe filter, but i can spend now in the filtration system and i think, even brewin only for me, it will be more easy and comfortable to filter. I think i am gonna give a try to that staff, looks enough and really i don't find more info about if is enough or if is better to use maybe a better filter from other brand.

thanks!

Do you have a way to properly sterilize the glass filters, beakers, etc... every time you brew? If not, stick with syringe or disposable filter units.

thanks for your answer ADenver. is true that i don't have nothing to sterilize the system after used to brew. i think i will go with disposable filter units.

Thanks!

Back