Never Judge a Book by it's Cover....

meathead704

I went to the gym this morning, planning on doing my Chest/Shoulders/Tri workout. Now since I been on the gear, about 4 wks now, my workouts have been getting longer and longer. I just couldn't get the pumps I wanted without doing more and more sets.

When I got there, I saw some friends of mine, a husband and wife, that I haven't seen in a while. She is a school teacher, He is a Pastor. Both in their late 40's or so.

Neither have ever struck me as being all that fit or into building muscle or anything.

So the lady says "hey, are you lifting today?" I say yes and she says "Can I be your trainer?" I say "what do you mean?" and she explains that for the past several months, she has been training under this guy who use to be on that show American Gladiators and now he trains personal trainers and blah....blah...blah... and anyway she says "I am going to test for my first certification today and I would love to practice on you!" I said "Ok sure...I guess"

So she asked to see my workout and after looking at it she says "Well you have a lot of junk in here that I can cut out, if you want, I can just do the upper body and have you out of here in 45 minutes or so. At this point I am wishing I would have just said "No Thanks" and done my workout, but too late, I didn't want to be an asshole and back out at this point.
I figured "what the hell, this morning is probably shot anyway" so I said "lets just do what you are trained for."

DAMN!!!!!!!!

I was done in 45 minutes and I have not had pumps like that, EVER, since I was a teenager and first started. She did what she called "melting the muscle" where you go to failure and beyond. That was at 7:00 this morning and I am still feeling it!! On top of that, for the most part, I was using lighter weight than I had been using, because I couldn't use the heavy weight and get the technique right - It's all about TECHNIQUE!!

So anyway, I am meeting them again tommorrow to do lower body, and I can't wait, although I am dreading the pain!

Honestly,I have never given much thought to hiring a personal trainer, I always thought I was doing good enough on my own.

I was WRONG!!!!!!

If you are new to lifting, or even if you've been doing it for years, but have never had any formal training, it might pay to hire a trainer, even for just a few sessions, it can make all the difference.

Last edited:
hahaha well good for you man. may work outs at always 30-45min and only 1-2parts that day (eg.chest or delts/tris) and only work otu eod. more then 1hr in gym is counter productive in my eyes. (unless cutting)

since i tore my shoulder the physical therapists recommended me doin lighter weights and flexing when your outstretched and also trying to keep the muscle flexed on your way down...ex. when your doing bench you flex when your arms are fully extended and try to the hold the squeeze slowly until your down. I dont use heavy weights but i dont need to the workouts feel great and i feel like im not gonna hurt myself. its all Technique brotha.

You have to find what works for you bro! I have been training for 35 years now and I use to be in the gym for 2 hours when I was dumb....thought I was smart. Now I'm out in 45 minutes MAX! My pumps come after 2 sets...thats right , 2 sets and I'm smoking them muscles. Trainers are a dime a dozen and don't know me from a can of paint! Trainers are for people who don't have a clue what to do. I tell people to can there trainer after 1 month tops! Then you have an idea and can start to experiment on your body and what does and doesn't work.
Peace Oz
Good Luck

You have to find what works for you bro! I have been training for 35 years now and I use to be in the gym for 2 hours when I was dumb....thought I was smart. Now I'm out in 45 minutes MAX! My pumps come after 2 sets...thats right , 2 sets and I'm smoking them muscles. Trainers are a dime a dozen and don't know me from a can of paint! Trainers are for people who don't have a clue what to do. I tell people to can there trainer after 1 month tops! Then you have an idea and can start to experiment on your body and what does and doesn't work.
Peace Oz
Good Luck

Did they even have gyms 35 yrs ago????LOL

Good for you. Always try different things. Changing is good. Don't be afraid of overtraining. It's not that easy to overtrain. At least, that's my opinion. I used to train low volume and heavy. Never changing. About a year ago I started to join some friends for training who are competitive bodybuilders. I learnd that other stuff work too. Good luck.

Back