New Here But Not New To Weight Training

Brawn

Hello everyone. I am 45 years old. I have trained most of my life. I even competed in a couple local shows and didn't do to bad. The first show I came in 2nd and the next show I did, I won my weight class but not the overall. I am coming back to the gym after a 5 year layoff from left elbow problems. I have been working out for 3 weeks now. I was doing the push/pull/legs routine lightly to get my body acclimated to weight training again. Boy, was I sore...LOL

Tomorrow I am starting a 5x5 routine. I have combined both StrongLift's and MadCow's versions. I am using the bulk of Stronglift's routine but adding MadCow's assistance work. I feel that is the only thing missing from Stronglift's routine is no assistance work. I will be working out 3 times a week, Mon, Wed, and Fri. The routine is set up like this...

Monday (Workout A)

Squat - 5x5
Bench Press - 5x5
Barbell Row - 5x5

Assistance Work
2 sets of hyperextensions
3 sets of crunches

Wednesday (Workout B)

Squat - 5x5
Military Press - 5x5
Deadlift - 2x5

Assistance Work
4 sets of weighted crunches
3 sets of dips

Friday - (Workout A)

Squat- 5x5
Bench Press - 5x5
Barbell Row - 5x5

Assistance Work
3 sets of Barbell Curls
3 sets of Tricep Extensions

The Next week will look like this... Monday - Workout B, Wednesday, A, Friday- B. And so on for the following week. This will give me 4 days of rest which I need due to my age. I will most likely start a log here to show my progression.

Back