Newb on the forum , with Questions about TRT and IGF-1

handlebar

I joined this great forum today, seeking information from those who know and can surely help. My background and goals...

• I am 54. I want to improve my overall health & get fit and more muscular. I am 150 lbs, 5' - 7" and my bodyfat according to my Withings scale (I know it's not super-accurate) varies between 12% - 15% which seems sort of close just upon visual inspection.
  • I started TRT about 4 years ago when my cardiologist notice very low T levels. He told me that low T levels were associated (maybe causal, but I cannot remember) with cardiac problems. He recommended an endocrinologist, who started me on 200 mg injections every other week.
  • Fast forward to last few months when I switched to a doctor who specializes in "anti-aging" protocols - he deals quite a bit with TRT, HGH testing and treatment, Sermorelin, etc. He said that once every two weeks was too seldom to inject, and told me to stay on 200 mg/inject, but to change the frequency to one time per week. I have been doing that for about 6 months now.
  • I got my bloodwork back today, which was measured one week after my last injection - so it should be at the low. It was 867 ng/ml. The Nurse Practitioner said that was fine for the low.
  • My estradiol level was 48.0 pg/ml, so she is starting me on something to lower my estrogen (cannot recall the name and I am waiting on the prescription.)

My question at this point (but also I would be glad for any comments based on the above numbers) stems from the fact that my IGF-1 number was 222 ng/ml, which according to the lab, is higher than the "normal" range of 61 - 200. She said that the clinic gives Sermorelin to keep patients in the 200 - 400 range, so I am already in the range that they keep their patients in.

I have looked on the forum for posts that would mention what IGF-1 levels would be desirable for someone who is (only) on TRT for an extra boost losing those last few pounds of fat, and chiseling in some of muscle. I don't want to take anything other than maybe peptides to boost my IGF-1 levels if that would help me toward some muscle gains that would be worth the cost/effort of supplementing with this.

What are "effective" levels of IGF-1 to add muscle, and would would you recommend regarding supplementing with sermorelin (or another product) in my case for a little something extra that the testosterone may not be giving me?

Thanks for any and all help,
Kevin

Last edited:
If you want to reduce body fat, spend more time worrying about your diet than your IGF-1 levels. Your IGF-1 is perfectly fine for accomplishing your goals.

Back