Newbie Questions: 1) Mg vs ml 2) syringe reuse

Pi1

1. Trying to read as much as possible and learn from the other posters. Im a data person and love numbers but having a hard time relating since i am prescribed 1ml/mth and everything i see and read is in mg.
2. I think i know the response to this will be negative and i know the answer, but need the reinforcement. I received a script for a box of syringes, but the pharmacist tried to do me a favor and only gave me three. Logical since the test script was 1ml/mth and a three mth supply. What they didnt know was the Dr suggested AFTER he wrote the script to try weekly shots. In my nervous excitment, i didnt notice until i got home. I called the Dr to get his advice and he indictated i could clean the syringe and reuse it. Yeah! This cant be good.

Thanks in advance.

Re-using the syringe is definitely not good practice and I'm surprised a real physician would recommend it in a non-emergency situation.

If you haven't started yet, make sure you have read the TRT stickies and maybe run your planned complete protocol by this group.

Certainly monthly shot of Cypionate is not a good idea, and even with weekly 50mg shots that is not a good place to start. Your doc is not inspiring much confidence so far.

Don't want to post an outside link, but check out the "One and Only Campaign" for safe injection practices and maybe share it with your doctor.

If you haven't started yet, make sure you have read the TRT stickies and maybe run your planned complete protocol by this group.

Certainly monthly shot of Cypionate is not a good idea, and even with weekly 50mg shots that is not a good place to start. Your doc is not inspiring much confidence so far

Thanks for the reply. Ive read the stickies tho i do want to reread again. Im not going to lie, your reply does have me concerned. Few more facts...

1) he prescribed 1ml/mth but as we talked further he did suggest breaking it down in 4 equal portions
2) i am injecting .25 ml once per week
3) comparing my protocol to the stickies, it seems inline albeit lower then the recommded dose there
4) i do have an appt to check my levels in 5 weeks and assume dose could be altered depending on the levels
5) my test was monitored over 9 mths before going on TRT and varied from 260 - 295.

Your feedback is appreciated while I continue to read further.

Thx again

Paul

I'm curious how on earth one is supposed to clean a syringe..?

Data guy? OK:

Your script should be in a dose (milligrams), your testosterone in concentration (mg/ml), and syringes measure in volume (milliliters/cubic centimeters/iu).

Dose = concentration divided by volume.

Example: if the intended dose is 200mg per month (WAY too low), and the testosterone is 200mg/ml, and the volume is 1ml..

We get 200mg dose = 200mg/ml divided by 1ml.

As Mprtz stated, it sounds like you're dealing with someone that has ZERO clue when it comes to hormone therapy. Time to read the TRT sticky and look for a new doctor.

My .02c :)

I'm curious how on earth one is supposed to clean a syringe..?

Data guy? OK:

Your script should be in a dose (milligrams), your testosterone in concentration (mg/ml), and syringes measure in volume (milliliters/cubic centimeters/iu).

Dose = concentration divided by volume.

Example: if the intended dose is 200mg per month (WAY too low), and the testosterone is 200mg/ml, and the volume is 1ml..

We get 200mg dose = 200mg/ml divided by 1ml.

As Mprtz stated, it sounds like you're dealing with someone that has ZERO clue when it comes to hormone therapy. Time to read the TRT sticky and look for a new doctor.

My .02c :)
Perfect! That is exactly what I needed. Sure that info is in another thread but damned if i could find it. BTW-your example is exactly what he has me on. It seems a prudent approach to start low and tweak up based on future numbers and blood work. Ive waited so long to be diagnosed and improve the quality of my life, im not ready to critize or wslk away when it would seem (to me) i am on the right road.
Thanks for your help.

Minor correction to the above: I'm sure you meant dose = concentration multiplied by volume

Bahaha, yes indeed. Multiplied is what I meant. Thanks Mprtz! :)

Edit: Pi1, just be sure to arm yourself with as much information as possible. As the half-life of testosterone cypionate is about 7 days, you can explain to him how this is going to be as bad - if not worse, than where you started. Offer information from pubmed or other credible sources (the TRT sticky has a great deal) to help guide him in the right direction.

However, don't be afraid of firing him if he lets ego dictate his response. Doctors are educated folks, but that doesn't mean they're incapable of being incorrect.

Last edited:
BD has a guide to reusing needles. Id avoid it at all costs. But if you have to, use 70% rubbing alcohol, draw up a few syringe full of alcohol and clean it out really good. each time u use it you have to inspect the edge of the needle to make sure the point is not breaking loose or is bent. Pull the syringe apart and allow it to dry. Each time it is used it further dulls it. Id look on ebay for people who ship syringes internationally. If you are getting 1ml glass ampules that you have to snap the glass top off you will need filtered draw needles BD #305200 otherwise you will be injecting glass particles. Good luck.

BD has a guide to reusing needles. Id avoid it at all costs. But if you have to, use 70% rubbing alcohol, draw up a few syringe full of alcohol and clean it out really good. each time u use it you have to inspect the edge of the needle to make sure the point is not breaking loose or is bent. Pull the syringe apart and allow it to dry. Each time it is used it further dulls it. Id look on ebay for people who ship syringes internationally. If you are getting 1ml glass ampules that you have to snap the glass top off you will need filtered draw needles BD #305200 otherwise you will be injecting glass particles. Good luck.

Consider me educated. I had no idea that they would even have a reuse protocol for disposable syringes. Learn something new every day! :D

I didn't know they had filtered draw needles. I just always tried to stay away from the glass ampules myself. Good to know there is such a thing.

I did just that a few years back when I got in a bind. Doc said if you can't get back in here just clean it with alcohol. I sharpened the needle on a diamond hone as well, because I am a pussy.

I really didn't like doing it but at least it had only been stuck in me.

Now days I keep about a 5 year supply of needles around and carry extras when I travel.

I think the biggest use of the bd filter needles would be for UG gear, but some pharmacies are shipping stuff out in glass vials. The main use of the filter needles are at hospitals. Keep in mind, that the filter needle is only for drawing, if you draw the medication from the glass vial and inject it into a rubberstopped vial you will be recontaminating the medication and contaminating the vial. So before dispensing the filtered medication put on another needle.

I got some stuff that came in glass vials and i didnt wanna buy another box of draw needles so i went down to the hospital and sweet talked the staff into getting some filtered needles. They wouldnt let me have them until i inspected my arms and legs for track marks. I told them no self respecting junky would ever use BD needles to inject. Losing .1ml of magic is just unnacceptable. heh. I wouldnt shy away from glass ampules. If a supplier is willing to go though that pain in the butt they wont be fake.

I think the biggest use of the bd filter needles would be for UG gear, but some pharmacies are shipping stuff out in glass vials. The main use of the filter needles are at hospitals. Keep in mind, that the filter needle is only for drawing, if you draw the medication from the glass vial and inject it into a rubberstopped vial you will be recontaminating the medication and contaminating the vial. So before dispensing the filtered medication put on another needle.

I got some stuff that came in glass vials and i didnt wanna buy another box of draw needles so i went down to the hospital and sweet talked the staff into getting some filtered needles. They wouldnt let me have them until i inspected my arms and legs for track marks. I told them no self respecting junky would ever use BD needles to inject. Losing .1ml of magic is just unnacceptable. heh. I wouldnt shy away from glass ampules. If a supplier is willing to go though that pain in the butt they wont be fake.

Hahahaha. Now I feel like a junkie because I'm always trying to save that drop! LOL.

I do miss my terumo's, sharp as hell, and the ferrule didn't trap nearly as much oil. :(

I use some Ulticare 1ml 25g 1". no waste with them. Well marked syringe. Being schedule 3, and sometimes schedule 2, a person definitely should make every drop matter. I was talking more for street recreational use not test use. A lot of people use the BD's for injecting test though.

The ulti's arent as sharp as the bd 25g's but they get the job done, they really dull after 1 use, hurt going all the way in next use when i experimented with them.

I use some Ulticare 1ml 25g 1". no waste with them. Well marked syringe. Being schedule 3, and sometimes schedule 2, a person definitely should make every drop matter. I was talking more for street recreational use not test use. A lot of people use the BD's for injecting test though.

The ulti's arent as sharp as the bd 25g's but they get the job done, they really dull after 1 use, hurt going all the way in next use when i experimented with them.

I don't know if I got a bad batch or what, but this box of BD's have to be twisted to puncture the skin and fascia. I normally just bear through it, but sometimes that shit just hurts! I use air recovery to try to get all of it, but may look into a different brand. (mine are new for every inject too, which makes me puzzled)

I go through 2 amps of hcg/wk. Never used a filtered needle. As far as I know there isn't any glass in my stomach. They usually break clean, but every so often there are pieces that break off- usually outside of the amp. Japanese pharmacy grade meds.

I mix two amps of 3000iu, draw into one syringe and inject the total 6000iu @2000iu 3/wk using the same needle/syringe. Never had an issue. I do this because I save the other syringes I get from the doc for blasts. Syringes are tightly controlled here so I have to resuse.

No excuse to resuse if you've got access, but it can be done. Been reusing with hcg and hgh for over 5 months. 3 uses each, but only a single draw each time. So far no issues.

In one study I read when using glass ampules, every sample they tested no matter 30g-18g needle there was glass in the corresponding microscope slide. The only samples that did not contain glass were those that were drawn using filter needles. So no matter how clean the top breaks it is contaminating the medication with glass. It is not really debatable. Im not trying to be argumentative, its settled science. There is literature from nurse societies all the way to anesthesia societies saying to use filter needles. If a person doesnt want to use filter needles its their choice. I dont really care. More power to ya.

Good to know. I'll ask about filtered needles.

Glass in the gut builds character. That's what I'll go with for now:p

Back