Overweight ? Why and how to loose weight !

Mrs P

Female Moderator
Ok so you've made a decision to get healthier ! Congratulations !
A healthier lifestyle and Just adding a little movement to your life can:

Reduce the risk of heart disease,
stroke and diabetes
Improve joint stability
Increase and improve range of movement
Help maintain flexibility as you age
Maintain bone mass
Prevent osteoporosis and fractures
Improve mood and reduce symptoms of anxiety and depression
Enhance self esteem
Improve memory in elderly people
Reduce stress

Before setting yourself on an exercise program, you need to address all the reasons that have stopped you from doing it!

I'm too busy - don't have enough time
It's all a matter of priorities really... If something is important enough to you, you will make time for it.

I am embarrassed about the way I look when exercising
Find a friend to do it with you or exercise at home.

I'm afraid of injury

Many people start out and do too much in too little time. Find exercise that suits you -and begin with something gentle (i.e. walking).

I don't have access to any fitness equipment
Walking is something that can be done anywhere, as is home exercise videos.

I'm too overweight to exercise

Over time physical activity will become easier. Some exercises are more suited to larger bodies than others (such as swimming, walking, treadmills, and elliptical trainers).

1. Overcome barriers
Remember the first step is a behavioral change.

2. Make A Plan
If possible, make a plan of exercise goals, a basic timetable of when, where, and how, you will stick to it.

3. Phasing In
Start with whatever you can achieve. Aim for 20 minutes of walking. If you can't achieve this, then stop when you can. Your goal is to walk 20 minutes a day for 5 days a week. Make sure you have good shoes! This can make all the difference. If you are not used to exercising, your joints and muscles will take a short while to get used to it.

4. Mixing It Up

The human body is remarkably adaptable. The best way to keep your exercise efforts functional is to add variety.

Here are some other cardio alternatives

walking

Swiming
This can be a low-impact exercise that has minimal impact upon your joints. Swimming strengthens the upper body as well as involving the lower body.

jogging
Very popular form of exercise, but not particularly well suited to you if you are a larger person. Jogging and running place significant stresses on bones and joints. However, it is one way to fit more exercise in a shorter space of time! Stretching is essential.

Cardio Equipment
One of the most popular methods of exercise today is by using fitness equipment. Treadmills, rowing machines, elliptical trainers, and stationary bicycles are just some of the options available.

Circuit Training

Circuit Training is carried out at a gym or fitness center. It will help you preserve muscle mass while you are trying to lose fat.

Circuit Training involves high repetition resistance exercises with little or no rest breaks in between each exercise. Most gyms have a circuit training room. The weights used are typically low.

Caloric Deficit
In order to lose 1 lb. of body fat, you must burn off 3,500 more calories than you consume. Think of this caloric deficit as an odometer of sorts. Every time it rolls over to the next increment of 3,500, you've lost a pound of weight. If you maintain a steady 500 calorie deficit every day, you should expect to lose about a pound a week.
Keep a log of everything you eat, count calories/ fat/ carbs keep in mind the nutritional value of the foods you eat.

Diet Strategies
There are two basic strategies for creating a caloric deficit. The first is to control your diet. But don't starve yourself--your body needs a certain number of calories to function every day, and if you don't meet that basic need, known as your basal metabolic rate, your health may suffer. As you become more physically active, your body will also need the proper balance of minerals to sustain your increased activity levels.

Remeber Getting a healthy lifestyle is not as daunting as you might think; it just takes some consistent, small efforts to transform your previous habits into ones that well help you maintain your health and wellness for years to come.

Last edited:
Wow this looks well laid out. Sigh does this mean that since your all mod like there will be no more creepy critters?

If you want to loose fat and gain lean muscle, can you do that in a calorie deficit? Im sure you can but is it realistic?

I guess what im asking is would it be better to loose the fat first with a bunch of cardio and diet, then work on bulking up. I dont want to set unrealistic goals.

Thanks

These tips are perfect indeed.
I have a golden chance yo reduce my bulky weight in few days to follow these tips.

i suggest you to do excercise like yoga every day and maintain your diet.the best way to reduce your stomach fat is you have to carefull about your diet.Stomach fat is arguably the biggest reason people work out and try to lose weight. People hate how they look and feel when they're dealing with fat around their bellies, and many strive for "six-pack" abs. reducing stomach fat isn't something that can be done simply with crunches, though. You must work hard in several ways to burn off the fat and keep it off. here you can get the best treatment to reduce stomach fat fast.

Last edited by a moderator:
have you ever heard YOGA?? Now these days its very effective in weight loss. You may join any Yoga center and start burning your fat after some time. All the best!

Last edited by a moderator:
can jogging help to reduce weight?? i am now 55 years old and have little bit heart problem. i have put on some weight which is not good at all. should i start jogging??

missed periods

can jogging help to reduce weight?? i am now 55 years old and have little bit heart problem. i have put on some weight which is not good at all. should i start jogging??

missed periods

Welcome ! :)

Jogging, walking is the best thing you can do for your heart, & will make you loose weight if is combined with a good diet.

If you have a heart condition I would ask your Doctor before staring any training routine.

If your doctor says is ok, then, you can start slowly, begin by taking walks for 10, 20 minutes, within no time you'll feel better & stronger & then can incoporate other types of excercise & cardio.

At your age, most likely the missed periods are casused my menopause.

Are you having any other symptoms ? like :

Hot flashes, night sweats and/or cold flashes.
Irregular heart beat
Irritability
Mood swings, (emotional)
Trouble sleeping through the night (with or without night sweats)
Irregular periods; shorter, lighter periods. heavier periods, flooding; phantom periods, shorter cycles, longer cycles
Loss of libido
Dry vagina
Crashing fatigue
Anxiety

These are jsut a few there are so many other symptoms, it's amazing what hormones do to your body.

Good Luck ! :)

Back