Please help with my hormone results, do I have cancer???

equel

Alright I need some help regarding my hormone test, I figured people on this very subreddit probably know alot about this and might help me out.

June this year I went to my doctor wanting to check my T levels cause of the usual symptoms: Low/non existent libido, very low motivation, low confidence, very low energy. And as a dude in his late 20s this was very concerning.

I got lab test back, reading:

Testosterone: 9.1nmol (ref 8.6-35)
SHGB: 20nmol (ref 10-80)
LH: 5.5 (ref 1.0 - 10.0)

Doc told me testosterone was within range hence shouldnt cause any problems, but he told me he could send me to a endocronolist if I wanted to talk more about it.
So he did.

I waited 4 months before I got an appointment, they also told me to take another blood test before the meeting, so I did.
Today I met the endocrinologist, she started asking me why I had wanted to check my levels so I explained to her all my symptoms, that I was slow in my head these days, very low energy, no/low libido, and all that.

She told me 9.1 testosterone was not good but still within range so it shouldnt cause any problems.
I asked her to see the result from my latest test, and I did, showing this:

Testosterone: 5.0nmol (ref 8.6-35nmol)
SHGB: 20nmol (ref 10-80)
LH: 6.6 (ref 1.0-10)
FSH: 2.0 (ref 1.0-10)
IGF-1: 228 (ref 90-280)
Also prolactin, which I cannot remember but it was little bit over the top, something similar to:
80-280 and I had like 290 or 300.

Anyway, she wanted me to take off my shirt, I did and she said: "alot of musculature, that doesnt happen with low testosterone" (I have been working out for like 8 years and I built the vaste majority in my teen years, nowadays I dont build nothing). She also listened to my heart and took my blood pressure, all was great.

Anyway, she told me: "I wont put you on TRT now, first I want to scan your brain, do a MRI (or something like that), she told me my low (but in range) FSH and somewhat high prolactin could mean I had a tumour in my brain.
Then she said bye and told me I will get an appointment for MRI scan within a couple of months.

So now Im home .. feeling like a shit at the moment, so I can cancer in my brain then? Feels very bad, cried a little afterwards but I guess its good to know why Ive felt so shitty for the last couple of years, I have almost no life what so ever no more cause I dont have the motivation for girls, for success or nothing at all, working a very low quality job and dont wanna do nothing with my life, VERY low drive.

Sos could anyone here maybe help me out? Is this stuff she said correct you think? What shall I do now ... just wait for my MRI I guess?

I was planning on going back to college in january but I seriously cant do it feeling like this, I was hoping I could get help with my testosterone til then but it doesnt look like that right now.

All help appreciated, thankyou all!

Normally if you had a pituitary tumor your Prolactin would be much higher. Yours is pretty close to normal. But it is good that your doc is covering all the bases and having you get an MRI. Also keep in mind that a lot of pituitary tumors are non-cancerous. And they can often be removed through your nose if there is a tumor. Odds are that you do not have a pituitary tumor.

Given how high your LH is and how low your total testosterone is, I would guess that it is more likely an issue with your testicles. Any physical trauma to your testicles in the past? Any history of steroid or prohormone use?

What time of the day was your blood work drawn?

What did your estradiol come in at? How about free testosterone?

Last edited:
I suspect that your entirely normal IGF-1 level also contraindicates pituitary tumor.

9.1nmol/L is GREAT testosterone!

... If you're a 90 year old man. :p

Good that she's proactive, bad that she's looking at the pituitary when you look primary (as Tron mentioned) hypogonadal to me.

Been on pain killers for an extended period of time, or any other prescription drugs? Odds are you DON'T have a tumor, but it's good to check just in case. :)

Keep the plans for school, once you get things squared away, you'll want an output for that intellectual flow and libido. ;)

My .02c :)

Normally if you had a pituitary tumor your Prolactin would be much higher. Yours is pretty close to normal. But it is good that your doc is covering all the bases and having you get an MRI. Also keep in mind that a lot of pituitary tumors are non-cancerous. And they can often be removed through your nose if there is a tumor. Odds are that you do not have a pituitary tumor.

Given how high your LH is and how low your total testosterone is, I would guess that it is more likely an issue with your testicles. Any physical trauma to your testicles in the past? Any history of steroid or prohormone use?

What time of the day was your blood work drawn?

What did your estradiol come in at? How about free testosterone?

Hi there and thansk for your response.

Yeah I was thinking that aswell - if the problem is in my hypofys, why is my LH pretty good? But then again, FSH is only 2.0 (range 1.0-10.0) so even if thats within the range its still pretty low I guess, but why is LH decent/good and FSH pretty low? Seems a bit weird.

No steroids or prohormones. Im not sure IF ive had trauma to testicles, I guess Ive been kicked in the ballz by girls in my teens, and Ive also had situations where guys have grabbed the ballz and hurt them, also in teens, a thing a couple of guys used to do to weaker younger dudes where I went to school. But I dont know if that could be the issue.

Time was like 07.00 morning.

She didnt check estrogen, nor free testosterone, but my shgb was 20 in a range of 10-80 so she said my free test probably was fine :S

9.1nmol/L is GREAT testosterone!

... If you're a 90 year old man. :p

Good that she's proactive, bad that she's looking at the pituitary when you look primary (as Tron mentioned) hypogonadal to me.

Been on pain killers for an extended period of time, or any other prescription drugs? Odds are you DON'T have a tumor, but it's good to check just in case. :)

Keep the plans for school, once you get things squared away, you'll want an output for that intellectual flow and libido. ;)

My .02c :)

Hey man, nope no medications or pain killers, nothing like that at all. Hell, I almost dont even drink alcohol or smoke!

Another guy with highish prolactin highish igf low t like me. I'd almost bet money your hypothyroid and adrenal fatigue to some degree or another. Need guinea pigs to try 2 months of natural desiccated thyroid and low dose naltrexone and check t levels.

Another guy with highish prolactin highish igf low t like me. I'd almost bet money your hypothyroid and adrenal fatigue to some degree or another. Need guinea pigs to try 2 months of natural desiccated thyroid and low dose naltrexone and check t levels.

Your LH wasn't that high, was it Daleb? I ask as I seldom see secondary with such a high LH signal. :doh:

Hey man, nope no medications or pain killers, nothing like that at all. Hell, I almost dont even drink alcohol or smoke!

Stick with it, and let your doc rule things out so there's less of a battle when she finally does start to realize that you need treatment.

Have you ever had your testes checked for varicoceles? If your endo is hot, could be a great way to impress her regardless of results. ;)

Stick with it, and let your doc rule things out so there's less of a battle when she finally does start to realize that you need treatment.

Have you ever had your testes checked for varicoceles? If your endo is hot, could be a great way to impress her regardless of results. ;)

impress her if the size is right, if the size aint right, think it through. :)

I found a sizeable lump in the right side of my abdomen about a year back. I was freaking out as both my uncles have had bowel cancer - one at 25yo and the other fatally at 51yo, both otherwise healthy non smokers. Turns out it was just a benign tumour.

My most recent test level before starting TRT was also 9 nmol/L and my doc also said it was within range. The NHS refused to address it and I had to go private.

I think you're probs just worrying but fingers crossed for you anyway mate.

Back