Quick question on first Prop Batch

MCMOW

Im almost ready for my first batch of prop. I just dont have the oil yet.

questions:

Most medsuply sites charge out the ass for oils. It is so much cheaper for me to purchase pure grape seed oil from GNC or wholefoods. As long as it says pure, can I just filter it with the .45 whatman filter? If so how long would this take to filter say 750 ml of grape seed oil?

Last question is:

Do the .45 whatman filters attach to a slip lock or Luer Lock syringe? And how much oil/prop can I filter with 1 whatman?

get safflower/grape seed etc at your local grocery store. No need to buy usp pre filtered as your going to filter anyways. .22um filters are what you want to use as .45um wont sterilize, you may be fine but it's not worth the risk. The filter twist locks onto the syringe and the needle just slips on.

get safflower/grape seed etc at your local grocery store. No need to buy usp pre filtered as your going to filter anyways. .22um filters are what you want to use as .45um wont sterilize, you may be fine but it's not worth the risk. The filter twist locks onto the syringe and the needle just slips on.

Thanks chris. I thought I had to filter the oil first. But what your saying is just mix as is because im going to filter after its mixed, correct? and one last question.

So I will need say a 20-50ml syringe with the twist lock end. And some 18 gauge needles that slip on/not twist on?

I will be sure to get the .22um instead of the .45, I was just reading a 2/18% prop recipe and it stated to use a .45 so I figgured the .22 was to fine to pump the oil through. Thanks for your help man, and if anyone else has some advice please chime in. Thanks!

i usually put my powder in a beaker, then add the BA and BB. Heat on stove until it dissolves all the powder into a clear solution and then add the oil. Then put on low to keep warm while filtering.

With sterile oil, once you dd to the powder it's no longer sterile which is why you might as well get non sterilized oil. For the amount your doing, using the millipore bottle top filtering is the best option and they're cheap. It takes me almost and hour ans 15 min to filter 100ml through a syringe filter so be prepared if you go that route.

If you need a good place to buy lab products pm me. The 2/18% will work fine, I do 2/20% but it's not a big difference. When syringe filtering, use a 10ml syringe as anything bigger is really hard to push out for some reason, I used 20ml syringes and it was a huge pain.

Good luck bro, hope this helps.

Hi chris; i got a few questions from my home-brew prop, didnt want to start a new thread.

1) Does 33.3g of test-prop have a volume of 26.6mls of water?

2) When i ordered the powder above, i asked for it to be made with bb + ba and heated (aussie customs are the strictest in the world, powder=sus), now that i have prop + solvents, how long do i need to heat after adding carrier oil?

3) i've my first batch (2% BA and 20% BB), but the test prop is
a) very cloudy and some stuff is at the bottom of vials (despite following ratios)?

tO0Fv.jpg

b) i left some oil in the stericup receiver bottle but its much more clear in there then vials (aeration in vial) possibly?

1z9Il.jpg

IzEtI.jpg

c) also it corks like hell (is it meant to be cork-less at the ratios)?

4) i blew about 3-4 stericup filter units, i was using 9-10 PSI and it always blew it. What PSI are you using?

5) Also on my brake pump it has it in mmHg not PSI, 1 quick google search got me, 465 mmHg is 9psi but it still blew.

6) is macademia oil ok? grapeseed was out of stock?

Last edited:
Hi chris; i got a few questions from my home-brew prop, didnt want to start a new thread.

1) Does 33.3g of test-prop have a volume of 26.6mls of water?

2) When i ordered the powder above, i asked for it to be made with bb + ba and heated (aussie customs are the strictest in the world, powder=sus), now that i have prop + solvents, how long do i need to heat after adding carrier oil?

3) i've my first batch (2% BA and 20% BB), but the test prop is
a) very cloudy and some stuff is at the bottom of vials (despite following ratios)?

tO0Fv.jpg

b) i left some oil in the stericup receiver bottle but its much more clear in there then vials (aeration in vial) possibly?

1z9Il.jpg

IzEtI.jpg

c) also it corks like hell (is it meant to be cork-less at the ratios)?

4) i blew about 3-4 stericup filter units, i was using 9-10 PSI and it always blew it. What PSI are you using?

5) Also on my brake pump it has it in mmHg not PSI, 1 quick google search got me, 465 mmHg is 9psi but it still blew.

6) is macademia oil ok? grapeseed was out of stock?

1- I'm not sure exactly what you mean by this. You have 33.3grams total in powder ya? if you dose at 100mg/ml that would make you well over 300ml. Let me know exactly what you mean and i'll try and figure it out.

2-well if it's a liquid now with powder disolved in ba/bb then I just warm it to around 100 f and just add oil and stir until it mixes. You don't have to heat long at all, just mainly to keep warm to filter easily.

3-it may not have dissolved totally before filtering. How did it look when everything was mixed before filtering? I've also heard of solvents eating away at the glue for the filtering(havent heard that with using ba/bb though.

c)i'm not sure what you mean by corkless?Prop can sometimes have a bite to it, but your gear may have crashed which is why it probably hurts. If it crashed you can reheat and stir then filter again and it'll probably hold.

4-Your at a good psi, you need a glass media bottle for the bottom as the plastic ones will always crack under that pressure. Should be 45mm neck size.

6-you can use pretty much any oil you want, some are just better/thinner/healthier/etc than others. You can use safflower, grape seed, peanut just to name a few.

Thanks brother; few more questions (some a continuation to previous q).

1) The vial above, i put a 25g needle in it (for pressure reasons), put in boiling water, it turned clear, but after i left it cool again it turned cloudy again. Why?

2)
a) when you mix solvents/carrier oil, do you use any standard beaker?

b) do you run it sub-merged in hot water ONLY or under low heat (with water submerging)

c) how do you reach 100F, do you use a thermometer?

3) when you talked about the pressure and cracking, that was the recommendation by a senior from MD forums, so you 100% sure plastic wont hold even at 5-6 PSI and still filter? is it really recommended for glass; first time hearing about it. Also whats a good pressure at which glass wont break?

4) whats the least viscous(ie thinnest) plant based oil?

thanks alot brother.

I always buy USP grade oil, but may switch in the future.

I would filter with a .45 nalgene bottle top filter. then your going to filter with a .22.

If you straight filter with the .22 it will get clogged a lot faster.

I did this with bacwater the other day and I filtered 500ml with one wattman.
Think that the .45 removes some impurities and larger stuff out before it gets to the .22.

Just my opinion.

Thanks brother; few more questions (some a continuation to previous q).

1) The vial above, i put a 25g needle in it (for pressure reasons), put in boiling water, it turned clear, but after i left it cool again it turned cloudy again. Why?

2)
a) when you mix solvents/carrier oil, do you use any standard beaker?

b) do you run it sub-merged in hot water ONLY or under low heat (with water submerging)

c) how do you reach 100F, do you use a thermometer?

3) when you talked about the pressure and cracking, that was the recommendation by a senior from MD forums, so you 100% sure plastic wont hold even at 5-6 PSI and still filter? is it really recommended for glass; first time hearing about it. Also whats a good pressure at which glass wont break?

4) whats the least viscous(ie thinnest) plant based oil?

thanks alot brother.

I think the issue was in your original cook.

#1 always use a thermometer.
I warm my oil separate from my ba\bb\powder solution

Ba\BB\Powder in beaker, warm till clear, I run my temp about 130-150F
Mix\swirl till its clear, this usually takes about 10-15 minutes.

Oil at this point should be ready to go in as well. Would be about the same temp.

Oil\BA\BB and powder are now all in the same container, keep at about 130F-150F for 5-10 mins, reduce heat to 80-100 and filter it while it is warm.

I then cap my units as needed.
Some people use pre-sterile bottles, but I choose not to.

I run 2% and 18% BA\BB

I think that thinnest\ most viscous would be cotton seed, or Ethil oilate EO its called.

I find the plastic bottles always blow for me at around 8psi.
Glass ones you can run the pressure a bit higher.

If your stuck with plastic for a while, run it at 6 and be patient.

Back