Help. Syringe Filter Question

Lorja

Hey guys, got a quick question that I was hoping some one could answer.
I just got done brewing my first batch. It was 45 ml of EQ at 200mg. Everything with the conversion went well. My problem came when filtering, I was using .45 whatmans. So the first 10cc took a really long time..40ish minutes of just a slow drip. The next 10cc's I really cranked down on the syringe. I went from having a slow drip to an actual stream going into the vial. 10 cc in under 5 minutes. So My question is, did I use to much force and not let the whatman do it's job? Everywhere I've read of people using syringe filters they only have a slow drip. So when I saw a stream of EQ coming out..it made me a little worried that my gear is no longer sterile. Appreciate any help

Edit: I was using safflower oil as my carrier and the solution was kept very warm

Last edited:
Yeah that's not normal. Your filter failed it sounds like. You need to re filter imo.

Agreed. Sounds like you blew the diaphragm in the filter. At least the housing didn't let go and you lost all your hard work. Re-filter with much less pressure. What size syringe are you using?

Back