Raw Vegetables vrs. Cooked?

Milton

Administrator
Hey you'll I just saw the video Food Inc. where they say that raw veggies are the best as heat kills the nutritional protein value in them. So based on this which do you prefer? Raw vegetables or cooked? and why? View attachment 558457

Raw, all the way, because they do contain more nutrients and honestly taste better to me, especially with a little dip on them!! Raw broccoli can get pretty for having gas though but then again so can cooked broccoli, lol. I don't mind them a little steamed either but not fully cooked and soggy, that grosses me out.

Last edited:
They need to be properly washed as well. Most people just rinse them with water which does absolutely nothing, they need a white vinegar/water soak and wash in order to take all the stuff we don't want on them off.

Actually, some vegetables are better for you cooked, others are better raw. Onions, garlic, and other allium family member vegetables are better for you cooked. Kale is much better for you if you steam it for 5 minutes. Carrots will have a higher bioavailability of beta carotene if you steam it first - but not too much...just a minute or so. The lycopene in tomatoes is the same. Microwaving the foods, wrapped in a wet paper towel, is a good way to do it. You also lose almost no water soluble vitamins and minerals by steaming.

A good, generic statement about raw is better is certainly a good one to follow (and it makes it easy to carry the vegetables with you), but you can definitely get some benefits from steaming the vegetables instead, :)

thats a good one. I have heard that many restaurants wash their veggies with a water with a few drops of bleach. how does this sound?

Ive heard rumors of those little mini carrots you can buy in the bag are soaked or washed in bleach, and maraschino cherries and soaked in formaldehyde, not sure if its true but disgusting either way.

There are some veggies that are pretty hard to eat raw - broccoli, asparagus come to mind.

As far as losing nutrients through cooking - it depends on the cooking method.
Grilling (my fav) & steaming don't cause that much damage compared to boiling, which pretty much takes all the nutrients out of the veggies & puts it into the surrounding water.

For me, 2-3 mins on the grill is the middle ground.

raw means reduced absorption guys... you need to flash steam your veggies.. just enough to make them a little soft..

Back