Roids, HRT, HGH...and cops. More proof that the news is sensationalized bullsh*t!!

BimmerDude

Came across the following series of recent articles (links below) from the New Jersey Star-Ledger, and it appears that hundreds of cops and firefighters in that state are about to get shook down and possibly canned for using gear and HGH.

What really disappointed me about these articles is the disingenuous air of the whole thing. From the beginning of the first article, the reader is being mislead. A 45-year old doctor collapsed and died from heart failure 3 years ago. The heart failure was related to his history of chronic heart disease but they slanted the article to make it seem as though his death was caused by his use of HGH and anabolic steroids.

N.J. doctor supplied steroids to hundreds of law enforcement officers, firefighters | NJ.com

This story is interesting because the doctor involved was a one time overweight geek with a flailing pain management practice turned muscular jock-stud playboy who would later earn millions as a successful Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) practitioner and anabolics source.

The pandora's box was opened after the doctor's death and other LE went in to investigate. They became suspicious about the large number of LE and firefighter patients frequenting his practice and asking about him after he had died. This led to more investigations and the discovery that many of them had used their government-provided health care benefits to get treatments from him with HGH and anabolic steroids for conditions that were fraudulently diagnosed by the doctor.

This poor guy got in over his head. From what I've read about him I think he genuinely believed in the potential of HGH and anabolics, especially since he had successfully used both to dramatically improve the quality of his own life. He knew what he was doing. And his practice grew from a few guys a HUGE number of area BBs and hundreds of cops and firefighters.

The article would have been a good synopsis of his story---if the journalists didn't ruin it with that judgmental crap and so many inaccurate statements about steroids and HGH, and if they didn't make such a deliberate effort to publicly drag the cops and firefighters into it. They make it sound as though anabolic steroids are the worst things, but I can think of a number of drugs being legally marketed by the big pharmaceutical companies that are far more dangerous. They also make it seem as though guys who're into serious training and who use anabolics are all vain, freakish, unstable, and always on the verge of a violent explosion with 'roid rage'. I know quite a few bros, and none of them are like that. Isn't it also interesting that many of these people who criticize guys who train with gear aren't among the most attractive or in-shape people you've ever met?

In one case mentioned in the article, another doctor claimed that one of the guys who was taking HGH had a stroke because of it. But this same doctor also admitted that this guy also had a history of very high blood pressure---which is a primary risk factor for stroke. I'm wondering how he arrived at the conclusion that the HGH caused the stroke. Research that I've seen about HGH shows that it might actually benefit stroke victims, not cause strokes. Seems to me that he said this to the patient only because the patient told him he'd been taking HGH. I know from first-hand experience that many who have a medical license don't know jack about HGH, steroids, or steroid cycles. All they will tell you is that its bad, and once you tell them you've used gear , in most cases, whatever medical issues they diagnose you with, they're going to try to tell you that the gear is somehow responsible for it. I've seen and heard it many times.

In the related story in the link below

Strong at Any Cost: Five deaths in 19 months linked to steroids, Lowen's pharmacy | NJ.com

several assumptions are made (though the evidence is largely circumstantial) that the deaths of several people in the NJ area were directly related to their involvement with steroids. This article was obviously intended to paint steroids with the same brush of seediness, sleaze, and darkness as the hardcore street stuff that people smoke and snort to get high. Notice that in all of the mentioned cases, the people who died had serious and chronic health issues including heart problems, cancer, and depression, and two of them committed suicide. The two guys who committed suicide evidently were under a lot of stress. One of them was a pharmacy owner who got caught supplying stuff. He knew he had an upcoming date with the feds and that that encounter would end with him going to prison. He decided he couldn't live with that eventuality so he wrote a letter of apology to his family and then killed himself. Of course, the blogs and newspapers were abuzz with ridiculous stories about it being a mob hit.

And finally, in the article below the politicians are now calling for more investigations and testing.

N.J. lawmaker calls on attorney general to investigate steroids, HGH use among law enforcement | NJ.com

This ugly bitch, Paula Dow, is suggesting that people be tested and fired and jailed if they test positive.
It gets worse. Later today, they will be publishing another series of exposes that attack the Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) industry. In it they plan to talk about safety issues and lack of regulatory oversight. If the feds and other state governments pick up on this expect a crackdown on Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) clinics all over the place not too long from now. You'd think these people have better things to do with their time...like looking into the myriad of pain clinics everywhere handing out scripts for oxycontin pills as if they were M&Ms.

A sh*tstorm is brewing all across the Garden State so if you're a bro in that neck of the woods, and this looks like it might involve you, watch out.

Pretty crazy articles. I agree with you, most docs are BS and don't have half as much knowledge as they think they do. A long time ago, I went to the doc, have my cholesterol a little high, first thing he suggested was to get on medication. I told him it was my fault. I was drinking alcohol and eating like shit. I stopped drinking and ate a lot more healthy and magically my cholesterol was in check. However, he was real quick to hand out a prescription that who knows what it could have done down the road.

Besides that, there are always idiots taking gear and going overboard and giving everyone a bad rap.

As long as steroids are illegal this will always be the way it is.

I always hate to sound like devil's advocate, because it is bullshit, but its the law, and if you work in a job that regards steroid use as against policy... you need to not do it. Or at least get a script. lol

The part that disgusts me the most about all of this is how these chicken neck, dipshit, news casters on ESPN and all media vehicles for that matter are even ALLOWED to broadcast on the topic when it is evident that they don't possess practical knowledge of the drugs they are reporting about. It's all about "getting the story". Furthermore, it still has and always will blow my mind how professional athletes are punished if they have anything in their system regardless of the fact that they may have Low T. Manny Ramirez gets suspended for 4 games cause HCG was detected in his system? The media is allowed to try and sensationalize the story and turn him into a "roider".....? Ok... Then where the F**K WAS HIS BLOOD WORK DOCUMENTING HIS "T" LEVELS FOR THE WORLD TO SEE!!!!! THESE MOTHERF***ING, COC*****ERS ARE ALLOWED TO TRY AND DESTROY A MANS CAREER AND REPUTATION, BUT AREN'T REQUIRED TO SUPPLY PROOF PERTAINING TO THE SITUATION??? YEAH, I KNOW... I KNOW... THE RELEASE OF MEDICAL RECORDS IS ILLEGAL, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH... THEN THE FUC***G STORY SHOULD BE ILLEGAL TOO!!!!

It's even worse in academia and the various research fields.

As a student I have access to a huge database of journals and research articles. I've literally spent hours sorting through the results to find something even remotely related to a positive aspect of steroids. Just about every study has a hypothesis that steroids are going to have a negative effect on xxxx.

The worst part is all of my professors preach that we should make sure we aren't biased when conducting research or formulating hypotheses.

Back