Serious question regarding pizza and protein

http://www.steroidology.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1738678&posted=1#post1738678

Here's another

Research Methods and Procedures: Twenty-four young normal-weight male subjects were recruited, 12 usual four-meal and 12 usual three-meal eaters, differing only in the consumption of an afternoon meal. They omitted or added a fourth meal during a 28-day habituation period and were asked to report their intake on three 3-day occasions. Before and after this habituation period, subjects participated in a session with a time-blinded procedure, and blood was collected continuously from lunch to the spontaneously requested dinner. Body composition, respiratory quotient, and biochemical parameters were measured in the late evening preceding each session.

Results: Omitting a meal was followed by increases in fat mass (360 ± 115 grams, p < 0.05), late evening leptin concentration (20.7 ± 11.0%, p < 0.05), and respiratory quotient (3.7 ± 1.4%, p < 0.05). Increase in the percentage of dietary fat during the habituation period (+4.1 ± 2.0%, p < 0.05) was correlated with fat mass (r = 0.66, p < 0.05). Adding a meal had no effect, but, in both groups, the change in energy content at this fourth eating occasion was correlated with the change in adiposity.

Discussion: Our results suggest that adiposity may increase when young lean male subjects switch from a four- to a three-meal pattern by removing their usual afternoon meal. This effect could be partly mediated by a change in the macronutrient composition of the diet. (PARTLY)

skarhead1 said:
wow you found studies. i can do that too

http://grande.nal.usda.gov/ibids/index.php?mode2=detail&origin=ibids_references&therow=101745

Title: Effects of meal frequency on body composition during weight control in boxers.
Author: Iwao, S : Mori, K : Sato, Y
Citation: Scand-J-Med-Sci-Sports. 1996 Oct; 6(5): 265-72
Abstract: The effects of meal frequency on changes in body composition by food restriction were investigated. Twelve boxers were divided between a two meals day-1 group (the 2M group) and a six meals day-1 group (the 6M group). Both groups ingested 5.02 MJ (1200 kcal) day-1 for 2 weeks. Although there was no difference in change of body weight by food restriction between the two groups, the decrease in lean body mass (LBM) was significantly greater in the 2M group than in the 6M group. The decrease in urinary 3-methylhistidine/creatinine was significantly greater in the 6M group than in the 2M group. These results suggest that the lower frequency of meal intake leads to a greater myoprotein catabolism even if the same diet is consumed.
lyles thoughts on that study

lylemcd said:
I have the full text copy somewhere

piece of shit study, gave the boxers insufficient protein as liquids, no wonder they saw a different with 2 vs 6 meals. with sufficient protein or slower digesting foods, I bet the results would have been completely different

skarhead1 said:
http://www.steroidology.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1738678&posted=1#post1738678

Here's another

Research Methods and Procedures: Twenty-four young normal-weight male subjects were recruited, 12 usual four-meal and 12 usual three-meal eaters, differing only in the consumption of an afternoon meal. They omitted or added a fourth meal during a 28-day habituation period and were asked to report their intake on three 3-day occasions. Before and after this habituation period, subjects participated in a session with a time-blinded procedure, and blood was collected continuously from lunch to the spontaneously requested dinner. Body composition, respiratory quotient, and biochemical parameters were measured in the late evening preceding each session.

Results: Omitting a meal was followed by increases in fat mass (360 ± 115 grams, p < 0.05), late evening leptin concentration (20.7 ± 11.0%, p < 0.05), and respiratory quotient (3.7 ± 1.4%, p < 0.05). Increase in the percentage of dietary fat during the habituation period (+4.1 ± 2.0%, p < 0.05) was correlated with fat mass (r = 0.66, p < 0.05). Adding a meal had no effect, but, in both groups, the change in energy content at this fourth eating occasion was correlated with the change in adiposity.

Discussion: Our results suggest that adiposity may increase when young lean male subjects switch from a four- to a three-meal pattern by removing their usual afternoon meal. This effect could be partly mediated by a change in the macronutrient composition of the diet. (PARTLY)
in this study, food intake was self reported. people are generally idiots and cant judge how much food they are actually eating to save their life, which the researchers mentioned as a possible problem.

Last edited:
and the last study you posted is pretty much irrelevant to our discussion, but basically - once again - shows that there really is no difference between 3 or 6 meals, but that high protein diets (the irrelevant part) are better than low protein diets when restricting calories.
Obesity, a known risk factor for cardiovascular disease (CVD), is rising at an epidemic rate in the United States, accounting more than 44 million obese adults. Diseases related to obesity, such as diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, asthma, arthritis, and poor health status, account for an estimated 300,000 deaths per year. One of the major methods to treat obesity is body weight loss through diet intervention. Macronutrient composition and meal frequency are two popular areas of research in reducing body weight, specifically fat mass. Purpose: To compare the effects of consuming three versus six meals per day, in conjunction with higher versus lower protein, on body composition variables, including body weight, total fat and lean mass, body water, regional fat and lean mass. Methods: Twenty-eight healthy male and female subjects (26-67 years) completed an eight week dietary intervention consisting of two phases: a weight maintenance phase (four weeks; Phase I) followed by a weight loss phase (four weeks; Phase II). There were three diet groups: high-protein (40% protein, 40% carbohydrate, 20% fat) which consumed six meals per day (HP6), Food Guide Pyramid (15% protein, 60% carbohydrate, 25% fat) which consumed three meals per day (FGP) and high-protein (40% protein, 40% carbohydrate, 20% fat) which consumed three meals per day (HP3). Body composition variables measured included body weight, fat mass, lean mass, and body water. Fat and lean mass were measured by a dual energy x-ray absorptiometry (DXA) total body scan. Regional fat and lean mass were analyzed from the total body scan and assessed three regions: abdomen (region 1), pelvis (region 2), and thigh (region 3). Regions 1 and 2 are associated with visceral fat and greater risk for CVD. Total body water was measured by bioelectrical impedance spectroscopy (BIS). Results: All three diet groups, HP6, FGP, and HP3, experienced significant weight loss by the conclusion of the study (2.05kg, 1.4kg, 2.48kg respectively, p<0.05). Lean mass and total body water did not change during the eight week intervention. Body fat significantly decreased in the higher protein groups, HP6 and HP3 (2.70kg, 2.55kg respectively, p<0.05). These higher protein groups, HP6 and HP3, significantly decreased fat mass in region 1 (0.51kg, 0.28kg respectively, p<0.05), as well as in region 2 (0.63kg, 0.42kg respectively, p<0.05). The HP3 and FGP experienced significant decreases in fat mass in region 3 (0.49kg, 0.16kg respectively, p<0.05). Conclusion: All diet interventions experienced significant reductions in body weight due to a caloric restriction. The results indicate that higher protein diets have a beneficial effect on the reduction of total fat mass, and more importantly, reductions in upper body visceral fat that is linked to higher risk for CVD.

Last edited:
Well i dont think the protein study was irrrelevant because my arguement was having two smaller meals in a 4 hour peiod instead of 1 pizza in a 4 hour period. He was going to eat it over 2 hours, and probably wouldnt be hungry for AT LEAST another two. So that study would prove my thoughts on 2 meals in 4 hours would equoate to better body comp.

Either way I think almost all studies are trash. They all have flaws, I like to go with real world experience and I prefer more meals over a spread out period.

skarhead1 said:
Well i dont think the protein study was irrrelevant because my arguement was having two smaller meals in a 4 hour peiod instead of 1 pizza in a 4 hour period. He was going to eat it over 2 hours, and probably wouldnt be hungry for AT LEAST another two. So that study would prove my thoughts on 2 meals in 4 hours would equoate to better body comp.
so drink a protein shake with the pizza. the number of meals meals zero difference.

skarhead said:
Either way I think almost all studies are trash. They all have flaws, I like to go with real world experience and I prefer more meals over a spread out period.
right on bro.

look its up to you what you do, but just because you prefer something doesnt make it fact. I always tell people that if they like eating every 2 hours, then go nuts, but its fucking pointless. If you like real world experience, then drop your meal frequency keeping calories constant and see if it makes a fuck of a difference. it wont.

Last edited:
skarhead1 said:

That's cool. Then why doesn't he have 1/2 a pizza for his first meal in 2 hours and then 1/2 a pizza for his meal the second two hours? It's 2 smaller meals in 4 hours but still is 1 entire pizza in that same time frame....

Hell, he could even make the first half a meat lover's for the extra protein and the second half a veggie to make sure he has a nice balanced meal.

why don't you guys just whip out your dick and see whos bigger? thats what it seems your trying to do

Back