Shakes vs Real Food

panteracfh

Knows whats up
I searched some threads and this one in particular had a number of replies suggesting the inferiority of calorie intake from shakes vs real food.

http://www.steroidology.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99621&highlight=shakes

The only explanation that i have seen someone give for this is because actual food has more vitamines and nutrients in it.

How relevant are these vitamines and nutrients anyway if your already taking a multi vitamine and the fact that most shakes have many vitamines and minerals in them?

Most responses in the threads ive looked through usually consist of replys just stating that REAL food is better but i cant find many that explain why in much detail. Can i get some help on this?

For example, if one were to supplement 75% of their diet through powder/liquid sources rather than say 25%, yet have the same protein/carb/fat ratios, how significant would the differences be between the effects of each diet and why?

The proof is in the pudding. I could go into a ten page position paper on why whole foods are better than shakes, but you probably wouldn't listen anyway. Look at every enormous bodybuilder on the face of the planet. I guarantee that he didn't get that way on a liquid diet. In order to grow you must transform your body into a food processing furnace. If you don't eat real food that ain't gonna happen.

GonnaBeAGearHead said:
The proof is in the pudding. I could go into a ten page position paper on why whole foods are better than shakes, but you probably wouldn't listen anyway. Look at every enormous bodybuilder on the face of the planet. I guarantee that he didn't get that way on a liquid diet. In order to grow you must transform your body into a food processing furnace. If you don't eat real food that ain't gonna happen.

To begin, i very well would listen, as the point of my post was to understand the differences between a diet weighted towards liquid/powder supplements rather than food. So, any information geared toward that would be much appreciated.

Next, my question was not: Which is superior to maximum bodybuilding gains, whole food sources or liquid/powder supplements. Rather, my question restated is: How significant would one's results be when replacing 75% of their calorie intake with supplements as opposed to 25%.

In theory if your consistantly providing your body with a source of protein and carbs throughout the day, how significant can the source of these calories be? There's a big difference between saying "Whole food sources are optimul in comparison to liquid supplements" and saying "You will not grow on a diet containing a large % of your calories in liquid/supplement form."

Whole food = difficult to digest

Liquid Food = easy to digest

Food digestion ESPECIALLY the digestion of protein creates a thermogenic effect in the body. It will help you supercharge your metabolism. This will not only help you stay leaner, but it will also help you more efficiently use the protein that you need to build muscle.

If you drank four shakes every day and only ate two real meals your gains would probably suck. I have never been willing to take the risk to find out, but our bodies are made to operate on whole foods. This is what we are made to do. Why go against that?

I think he wants some sort of scientific answer as to why whole food is a superior protein source to shakes. Unfortunately I don't have that exact answer, but like many others I have experience when I was relying on shakes as my main protein source to the tune of a 75%-25% ratio. I wasn't growing at all and didn't have the energy to do damage in the gym. I'm sure some nutrition expert like Dirkmoneyshot will chime in soon enough so you can get your answer.

I've asked this question before...and still didn't really have an answer. If protein is protein and cals are cals than why does it matter? And if they aren't the same, why bother taking any food-replacement in the first place?

Anyways, I just learned to shut up and do what has been proven to work, cuz it works for a lot of people. Results are really the only explanation I require

outlawtas2 said:
I've asked this question before...and still didn't really have an answer. If protein is protein and cals are cals than why does it matter? And if they aren't the same, why bother taking any food-replacement in the first place?

Anyways, I just learned to shut up and do what has been proven to work, cuz it works for a lot of people. Results are really the only explanation I require

I agree.......we still don't know the real answer. But what about those people who see great results with shakes?

outlawtas2 said:

really its quit simple protien is not protien and cals are not cals.

if you would like me to aloborate i can.
other wise i woul think some educated thought and a little common sence would tell what that means.

adidamps2 said:
really its quit simple protien is not protien and cals are not cals.

if you would like me to aloborate i can.
other wise i woul think some educated thought and a little common sence would tell what that means.
I want you to elaborate.

Miss Muscle said:
I want you to elaborate.
protien much like every other macro is not the same from food to food and type to type. the absorbtion rates and amino acid profiles are a good starting point. also take into concideration BV of protien. these 3 variables place differnt protiens at differnt values and worth for you to choose from. much like one chooses which Fats or Carbs to consume one needs to be just as picky when it comes to protien consumption. this is not even taking into consideration micro nutrients of the protien source. which also varies from food source to food source.

and secondly if a cal were a cal i would say fuck it and eat fried twinkies all day. i mean if a cal is a cal i should end up with the same results right?

adidamps2 said:
protien much like every other macro is not the same from food to food and type to type. the absorbtion rates and amino acid profiles are a good starting point. also take into concideration BV of protien. these 3 variables place differnt protiens at differnt values and worth for you to choose from. much like one chooses which Fats or Carbs to consume one needs to be just as picky when it comes to protien consumption. this is not even taking into consideration micro nutrients of the protien source. which also varies from food source to food source.

and secondly if a cal were a cal i would say fuck it and eat fried twinkies all day. i mean if a cal is a cal i should end up with the same results right?
Excellent.

But wasn't there a guy who got cut on a McDonalds diet? He used the proper macros. I'll try and find the link.

Miss Muscle said:
Excellent.

But wasn't there a guy who got cut on a McDonalds diet? He used the proper macros. I'll try and find the link.
that there in itslef tells you he can cut on McDonalds.

adidamps2 said:
that there in itslef tells you he can cut on McDonalds.

But then that would be saying you could eat junk and get cut. Protein is protein, carbs are carbs, etc. Am I going crazy here?

1st good question. This gets asked often gets sidelined by many with the thought that what has worked in the past is the only answer. However, the gentlemen makes a valid point, scientifically there is no distintion between how your body gets the amino acids and other nutrients that it need to grow more muscle. Personally I, find that the answer is in making sure that you do not over compensate in the direction of liquid foods least your body forget how to process solid foods. This is something that can be seen in people that are constantly on slimfast and other 3 x day liquid meal plans. If you decide to supplement your soild meals then you should make use of as many whole foods as posible in the shake. Peanut butter, Milk, Fruit,Nuts etc. This will not only act as a calorie booster but, will also make sure that your system is working to process the other additives in the shake. Just my op.

Miss Muscle said:
But then that would be saying you could eat junk and get cut. Protein is protein, carbs are carbs, etc. Am I going crazy here?
yes and no
what ALL was he eating from there?
and was he runing any type of "gear"?

McDonalds does have some nutritional value to it.
plus all that beef is a good source of protien (aside form the high sodium content).

I live off protein shakes and yogurt.
When I'm on gear its the only thing that taste so damn good.

The more protein shakes I eat the better I feel and look. I use whole milk. I go through a gallon of whole milk at least every three days and about twenty yogurts a week.
And yes, I eat chicken breast, turkey, eggs and green veggies.
My diet is more about what I don't eat than what I do eat. No fries, McyDees or potato chips.
Snacks are protein shakes and yogurt.
Well, thats just me, take it or leave it.

mustanged77 said:
I live off protein shakes and yogurt.
When I'm on gear its the only thing that taste so damn good.

The more protein shakes I eat the better I feel and look. I use whole milk. I go through a gallon of whole milk at least every three days and about twenty yogurts a week.
And yes, I eat chicken breast, turkey, eggs and green veggies.
My diet is more about what I don't eat than what I do eat. No fries, McyDees or potato chips.
Snacks are protein shakes and yogurt.
Well, thats just me, take it or leave it.
Pics!!!!!! This is encouraging.

nutritional supplement not nutritional base i wish it was the same probally more economical

Back