protein shakes vs solid food

ira580

would there be a big difference in gains if I took say 200 grams of protein in shakes as opposed to same amount of grams in solid food proteins?

Most people cant process more than 25g of protein every 3 hours. If you are taking large amounts you might be addin unwanted stress on your kidneys which might ultimately lead to gout and not to mention a complete waste of protein .do a simple urinalysis to test for high protein levels and keep them in check.

so basically what ur telling me over an 18 hour period u should only be takin in 150 g of protein?25g every 3 hours comes out to 150

There in only a number of protein shakes that you can drink before your body starts to demand real food.
I love my shakes and have an awesome bar blender in my kitchen (2 actually, got them on sale) and shake the heck out of it but when im in training and looking towards a cycle goal I lower the shakes and up my real protein intake.
Finding the balance is the key.
The powder has a higher concentration of protein but sadly has a lack of other nutrients that naturally accompany proteins found in beef, pork, chicken, fish, dairy products, whole grains.
Real protein foods will offer fresh vitamins, minerals, carbohydrates and healthy fats unavailable in protein powder.

Last edited:
Hey by the way if you scroll down vvvvv you will see 5 other sugggested Similar Threads.

There is no substitute for real food. Once you get a pretty large frame of muscle you will need to supplement SOME protein shakes......but too many guys rely on them to early in development. The number of grams of protein you're talking about getting is a very serious amount. As you stated.....would have to eat a ton of protein and have a shake or two every day.
150g protein can grow an impressive physique. At a point you're right....would take much more than that. Lots of pros have videos out on this exact topic.

Bottom line.....eat all your protein until you get enough mass to make shakes necessary. And maybe use shakes as a treat here and there while you're on your way :)

I would highly advise everyone to get as much of his/her intake from whole-food sources as possible. There is absolutely no benefit to taking in liquid meals over whole-food meals (outside of during and immediately post-training).

I know guys at the gym who add just the right amount of supps and shakes to their diets annd look and feel great. Its all about finding the balance between real food and supps etc.

would there be a big difference in gains if I took say 200 grams of protein in shakes as opposed to same amount of grams in solid food proteins?

Yes there would be.

Protein Shakes are a Supplement ~ made to Supplement a Good Diet ~ Not to Replace it !

There is No Replacement for a Good Diet ~ Shakes don't even come close to the Health Benefits of Real Food.................... JP

Yes there would be.

Protein Shakes are a Supplement ~ made to Supplement a Good Diet ~ Not to Replace it !

There is No Replacement for a Good Diet ~ Shakes don't even come close to the Health Benefits of Real Food.................... JP
good point there, they are called supplements, not replacements. but so many people out there just want to take the easy way out.

I personally got better results with real food and using "complete amino acid" tabs (containing all 20 something) as a supplement compared to most whey shakes.

Others caused issues in digestion. Casein protein? "Slow release". I think it probably has to do with "gut biome" or whatever the fancy word is for but bacteria and such.

Many thing depend on many thing so a diet with lots of things helps with everything. Unless you have an intolerance or allergy to something.

When I eat processed food compared to whole food I swear I gain an extra 2lbs on weight and visually 5 lbs. I am definitely "fuller" muscle wise on whole foods.

Most of my daily meals consist of shakes; however, they are real food shakes. More specifically, several of them consist of brown rice, chicken, olive oil, and water. I've been getting good results with them and they are convenient, as I have a lot to do and my time is spread so thin. I just drink them as I'm working. The only shakes that I drink that are not natural are a Post workout shake that is whey isolate and a bedtime shake that is casein.

Based off my time here reading threads about gains it is diet and not enough carbs. A well balanced and nutritious diet with calories being just high enough to be more than we used in the day. Constant adjustments in calories.

3J has and excellent right up on finding calorie need in the stickies. You could eat a kilogram of protein and not gain any muscle if you dont take in enough nutrients and carbs. Actualy die if you didnt have enough carbs or fat. Enough carbs and protein but lacking nutrients will also result in low gains.

For a short period I basically focused on getting in my carbs and ate less than a gram of protein per lb of body weight and had good gains in weight, minimal loss of definition/fat gained and either got more reps or a higher weight almost every workout. One more rep on bench a workout one day. Adding 10 lbs and only losing 2 reps another workout.

Low T and onto 200 mg wk test so not even cycling. Busting my ass with proper form and eating enough calories but not to much.

Now at 100mg wk test I maintain my avi doing little more than house work due to epilepsy.

5' 10" and about 162lbs naked, first thing in the morning, empty stomach after a crap. I always poo first thing in the morning.

Whey is pretty much useless ( scam ) , its residuals from cheese processing.
Egg Albumin protein is all I use .
I do 3 meals & 2 shakes daily

I solved this problems. Like example first off, 1.5g protein per pound of lean body mass seems to be a good starting place for calculating you***8217;re protein intake (even for cutting let alone bulking). Therefore, at 180lbs and 9% your LBM is approx 164lbs. 164 x 1.5 = 246, so aim for 246g of per day.

Back