Sterilize glass media bottle

SamSport

Title says it all, I'm tired of these syringe filter; switching to bottle top filters. You have to put the bottle top filter on a media bottle; and I have no idea how to sterilize it.... Some people do it in the oven... like 400 for 1h. I'm wondering if it does the trick. I don't have acces to an autoclave... might be able to use a pressure cooker if any1 has an idea

I'm in the process of getting my stuff together so I can do bottle top filtering too and I was wondering about this. I was thinking about boiling the media flask then baking in the oven to dry it. That would work. Either way there's BA in your brew (my brews anyway) so I'm sure everything would be sweet. Nothing's going to grow in there.

I wash and rinse my glass very well. Then bake at 400. Not saying its perfect but its done the trick so far.

I wash and rinse my glass very well. Then bake at 400. Not saying its perfect but its done the trick so far.

I think that's all you need. I boil my beakers that I brew in and i've never had any inconsistencies or floaties.

Just clean it out with isopropyl aclohol and rinse with distilled water or you can put it in an autoclave/pressure cooker at ~15psi for 20-30min

Edit* but if you go the pressure cooker route you need to fabricate a stand so the media had sits ABOVE and OUTSIDE the water. It cant be touching the water. Sterilize the stand or platform than pressure cook

i got some bottle top filters coming. i hear heaps of people busting up the plastic receiver bottle. im going to take my time and use low pressure and see how i go. if i bust the plastic receiver ill be pissed and most definitely switching to glass. im only using the plastic one because its already 100% sterile. ill keep everyone posted.

Last edited:
Yea the plastic ones can break at around 10-12psi but by keeping the pressure low it also takes more time. I'd suggest getting a glass media jar instead and running at at the higher ~15psi range

Good info in there, I think ill try alcohol + distilled water + oven at 400 for 30mins to be extra safe. Would like to get my hand on an autoclave but its too expensive for me to buy right now.. I'll stick with good ol' oven

Good info in there, I think ill try alcohol + distilled water + oven at 400 for 30mins to be extra safe. Would like to get my hand on an autoclave but its too expensive for me to buy right now.. I'll stick with good ol' oven

To get true sterility with just heat you'd need over 600degress for longer than 1.5hrs I believe or somethig like that. That's why autoclaves/pressure cookers are more efficient. With the in erased pressure you need less temperature and time. Get or borrow a pressure cooker instead of the autoclave. Works just as good.

I have just washed it up in alcohol (isopropyl for an example) and than I put it in the oven for a while. You really just need to go above 100°Celcius for a few minutes and your safe.

I have just washed it up in alcohol (isopropyl for an example) and than I put it in the oven for a while. You really just need to go above 100°Celcius for a few minutes and your safe.

100deg Celsius will certainly evaporate the isopropyl but it will NOT make the glass sterile by any means.

I have ruined the media bottle seal by putting it in the oven at too high of a temp for too long. Stupid rookie mistake not taking the seal off... Just something to keep an eye out for. I wash really well, then alcohol, then in oven for a while... seems to do the trick.

This, I wash and rinse in very hot water, rinse out with iso alcohol, let air dry then bake at 350 for 30 mins with something covering the top. Don't forget to remove the plastic ring on the throat of the media bottle.

I have always took the plastic seal off before cleaning and place my bottles upside down on a piece of aluminum foil that I wipe with a few alc prep pads that's laying across a cookie sheet( that's used just for my bottles if course) on 400 degrees for an hour. Sounds gangsta but it's worked with no problem for few years.

Back