Subway Warning

CowboyMouth

I loved Subway for a long time. I use to go five times a week or more. But recently I've realized the importance of cutting out non-100% whole wheat bread. Why in the world does Subway not offer whole wheat bread? The entire company thrives on its status as the 'healthy' fast food choice. But yet they are missing such an important part.

I wondered how many people were upset about this so I did a google search on 'Whole Wheat Bread Subway'. I found on a few forums, such as Yahoo Answers people asking the question 'Is Subway's bread 100% Whole Wheat?' The answers that were given were 'Yes, if you order the Wheat, its 100% Whole Wheat'. Well, this is wrong. On that particular subject that question was closed, so I couldn't even inform anyone else reading that site, that is not the case. In fact, my friend who worked at subway says that their "wheat" bread is basically their white bread with caramel coloring.

This is why I think Subway isn't offering a whole wheat bread. Why do they need to? Nobody seems to even realize its not whole wheat and Subway isn't informing its customers about how much better 100% whole wheat bread is. Their wheat, by the way, is easily their most popular bread. I can only assume this is because the average customer thinks they are choosing the healthiest bread this way, most likely assuming its whole wheat.

I probablly seem a little overly sensitive about this, but I enjoyed eating subway up to 5 times a week. I've decided to cut out bread that is not 100% whole wheat which means no more Subway. And it seems like such a waste, because otherwise its a great option to get protein, vegetables and a starchy carb all in one easy, tasty package.

I asked my friend who worked at Subway what sub was the most popular at his location. The answer: "Easily Tuna on Wheat". I would guess its another thing people are ordering assuming they are making a healthy decision.

Footlong Tuna Sub on "Wheat"

Calories: 1,060
Fat: 62.0g
Protein: 44g
Carbs: 88g

McDonald's Big Mac

Calories: 540
Fat: 29g
Protein: 25g
Carbs: 45g

And also on my nutrition facts for the tuna remember this is without cheese or sauce. Add cheese it becomes:

Calories: 1,180
Fat: 72.0g
Protein: 52.0g
Carbs: 88.0g

Just a heads up. There are lower fat choices at Subway. Just remember to order off the low fat sub list and leave the cheese off. Still, low fat doesn't mean its good for you, a sandwhich with whole wheat bread would always be better.

Here are the ingredient in Subways wheat bread. Taken from their own website.

WHEAT BREAD- Enriched flour (flour, malted barley flour, niacin, iron, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), water, whole wheat flour, high fructose corn syrup, wheat gluten, contains less than 2% of the following: wheat bran, yeast, salt, soybean oil, dough conditioner (acetylated tartaric acid esters of mono-and diglycerides, ammonium sulfate, calcium sulfate, ascorbic acid, azodicarbonamide, potassium iodate, amylase (enzymes)], cracked wheat, sodium stearoyl-2-lactylate, caramel color (contains sulfites), dried honey preparation (honey powder, invert sugar, wheat starch, soy bran flour, silicon dioxide [anti-caking]), mineral oil. Contains soy and wheat.

And a link to the nutritional information on all their subs.

http://www.subway.com/applications/NutritionInfo/nutritionlist.aspx?id=sandwich

Last edited:
If you are basing your nutritional choices on subways lineup, well you have some thinking to do my friend. The ONLY thing on that menu that I consider healthy is the chicken. You think the tuna is good for you? You think processed meat, salami, that ham they use, or the shitty goverment cheese is good?

Dont get me wrong, I eat like shit more often than not. But you really shouldnt be suprised by this. People are stupid, let them think that they are going the healthy route at a fucking fast food joint. Buy yourself some true 12 grain bread, some chicken or tuna, and make real subs for yourself.

I know some people that go to subway thinking...healthy alternative...then they throw on the cheese and mayo and some other sauce and the fat is through the roof.

I get the subway club which only has 6grams of fat...no cheese, no fatty sauces. It may not be the best quality, but its good reliable pick when you're on the go.

Yeah but the BigMac is very very puny compared to a footlong tuna sub. The two little meat patties in a regular big mac could not feed a fish. The tuna sub must weigh a lot more and will fill you a lot more. You would need two big macs to equal a sub.
And I thought the subway whole wheat had like 4grams more fibre in it then the white.

CowboyMouth said:
I loved Subway for a long time. I use to go five times a week or more. But recently I've realized the importance of cutting out non-100% whole wheat bread. Why in the world does Subway not offer whole wheat bread? The entire company thrives on its status as the 'healthy' fast food choice. But yet they are missing such an important part.

I wondered how many people were upset about this so I did a google search on 'Whole Wheat Bread Subway'. I found on a few forums, such as Yahoo Answers people asking the question 'Is Subway's bread 100% Whole Wheat?' The answers that were given were 'Yes, if you order the Wheat, its 100% Whole Wheat'. Well, this is wrong. On that particular subject that question was closed, so I couldn't even inform anyone else reading that site, that is not the case. In fact, my friend who worked at subway says that their "wheat" bread is basically their white bread with caramel coloring.

This is why I think Subway isn't offering a whole wheat bread. Why do they need to? Nobody seems to even realize its not whole wheat and Subway isn't informing its customers about how much better 100% whole wheat bread is. Their wheat, by the way, is easily their most popular bread. I can only assume this is because the average customer thinks they are choosing the healthiest bread this way, most likely assuming its whole wheat.

I probablly seem a little overly sensitive about this, but I enjoyed eating subway up to 5 times a week. I've decided to cut out bread that is not 100% whole wheat which means no more Subway. And it seems like such a waste, because otherwise its a great option to get protein, vegetables and a starchy carb all in one easy, tasty package.

I asked my friend who worked at Subway what sub was the most popular at his location. The answer: "Easily Tuna on Wheat". I would guess its another thing people are ordering assuming they are making a healthy decision.

Footlong Tuna Sub on "Wheat"

Calories: 1,060
Fat: 62.0g
Protein: 44g
Carbs: 88g

McDonald's Big Mac

Calories: 540
Fat: 29g
Protein: 25g
Carbs: 45g

And also on my nutrition facts for the tuna remember this is without cheese or sauce. Add cheese it becomes:

Calories: 1,180
Fat: 72.0g
Protein: 52.0g
Carbs: 88.0g

Just a heads up. There are lower fat choices at Subway. Just remember to order off the low fat sub list and leave the cheese off. Still, low fat doesn't mean its good for you, a sandwhich with whole wheat bread would always be better.

Anyone who can eat a footlong tuna sub isn't going to be satisfied with just one Big Mac, which more bread than beef.

Quizno's has whole weat bread, and they really toast their subs, instead of subways zapping or whatever they do. When it comes to the money though, you can't beat subway.

Back