Supplies for first time home brewer

DreDay187

Beast666 FanClub Pres
Hello Chemical Study, I'm a new student/chemist and will be looking to brew my own gear for the future. I've been studying and researching methods, supplies, recipes, etc and believe I have a fundamental understanding of the process. I would like to create a list of supplies needed and get feedback as to if I'm missing anything, if I've included something not necessary, etc, so here goes:

-Sterile sealed vials (50ml jugs and smaller 10ml vials)
-sterile syringes (3cc, 20cc, and 50cc)
-sterile needles (18-23g 1/2in-1in)
-coffee filters (for pre-filtering)
-Whattman Zapcap or Nalgene Bottle Top Filter
-glass media jar (250ml or 500ml)
-hand vacuum pump with pressure gauge
-nylon or rubber tubing for vacuum pump
-funnel
-glass beakers (250ml and 500ml)
-Graduated cylinders (10ml, 50ml, and 100ml)
-glass stirring rod
-hot plate
-liquid dropper
-scale
-gloves and mask
-thermometer
-spray bottle
-Isopropyl Alcohol
-Benzyl Benzonate
-Benzyl Alcohol
-Grapeseed Oil
-Ethyl Oleate

I'm in the process of pricing everything out from some lab supply stores so if there's anything I missed that's recommended or something I've included that's completely unnecessary I would greatly appreciate the feedback. Thank you in advance for your help!

grapeseed oil can be bought at your local supermarket... when it goes through the syringe filter it gets sterile... usp gso is pricy. other than that, you got a lot of stuff on that list I don't see what you could need else

Looks good bro. If ur using raw powders I wouldn't bother prefiltering it. It seams like it would b more of a mess and hassle.

Hey mate, it looks like you have all the equipments needed. If your budget is tight, I think you can do without some of them.

Based on my experience, I have been able to brew without some of these items (highlighted in red):

* I use syringe filters instead of Bottle Top filters. It's a less expensive alternative.
Syringe filter is tough to use, so some people came up with the idea of using a caulking gun with a large syringe, that looks something like this:

6343d1130091713-homebrew-vs-pre-made-gear-savings-cgunfilter.jpg

-funnel - Optional.

--glass beakers (250ml and 500ml)

-glass stirring rod
-hot plate
-liquid dropper
-scale

* Instead of using a stirring rod, I just swirl my vial. Instead of a hot plate, I use boiling water or sometimes a microwave oven. The liquid dropper can be substituted with a syringe. As for the digital scale, I use a spoon to measure and estimate the volume of 1g of a compound. Of course, this method is not as accurate as using a digital scale, but it's good enough when a digital scale is expensive.

-gloves and mask

-thermometer - Optional, unless you're doing the melting test. For brewing purposes, it's not needed in my experience.

-spray bottle
-Isopropyl Alcohol
-Benzyl Benzonate
-Benzyl Alcohol
-Grapeseed Oil

-Ethyl Oleate - from my understanding, this solvent is used for (1) compounds that crash easily, or (2) brewing compounds at a high dosage.

I have seen brew that did not need Ethyl Oleate, such as Tren A/E @100, Test P/E @100/200, Nandrolone (Deca) @200, Boldenone (EQ) @600, Drostanolone P (Mast P) @100, Stanozolol (Winstrol) @50.

One thing I think you might want to look into is that Ethyl Oleate (EO) can cause allergic reaction for people. I have also read cases where people said the EO melted the rubber stopper or rubber plunger of their syringe.

Last edited:
Looks good bro. If ur using raw powders I wouldn't bother prefiltering it. It seams like it would b more of a mess and hassle.

Gotcha!

grapeseed oil can be bought at your local supermarket... when it goes through the syringe filter it gets sterile... usp gso is pricy. other than that, you got a lot of stuff on that list I don't see what you could need else

Thanks brother. I was definitely planning on getting my carrier oil from the supermarket. Don't want to pay inflated prices for USP grade when it's not needed.

Hey mate, it looks like you have all the equipments needed. If your budget is tight, I think you can do without some of them.

Based on my experience, I have been able to brew without some of these items (highlighted in red):

* I use syringe filters instead of Bottle Top filters. It's a less expensive alternative.
Syringe filter is tough to use, so some people came up with the idea of using a caulking gun with a large syringe, that looks something like this:

309d1255562537-how-use-caulking-gun-filtering-calk-20gun.jpg

-funnel - Optional.

--glass beakers (250ml and 500ml)

-glass stirring rod
-hot plate
-liquid dropper
-scale

* Instead of using a stirring rod, I just swirl my vial. Instead of a hot plate, I use boiling water or sometimes a microwave oven. The liquid dropper can be substituted with a syringe. As for the digital scale, I use a spoon to measure and estimate the volume of 1g of a compound. Of course, this method is not as accurate as using a digital scale, but it's good enough when a digital scale is expensive.

-gloves and mask

-thermometer - Optional, unless you're doing the melting test. For brewing purposes, it's not needed in my experience.

-spray bottle
-Isopropyl Alcohol
-Benzyl Benzonate
-Benzyl Alcohol
-Grapeseed Oil

-Ethyl Oleate - from my understanding, this solvent is used for (1) compounds that crash easily, or (2) brewing compounds at a high dosage.

I have seen brew that did not need Ethyl Oleate, such as Tren A/E @100, Test P/E @100/200, Nandrolone (Deca) @200, Boldenone (EQ) @600, Drostanolone P (Mast P) @100, Stanozolol (Winstrol) @50.

One thing I think you might want to look into is that Ethyl Oleate (EO) can cause allergic reaction for people. I have also read cases where people said the EO melted the rubber stopper or rubber plunger of their syringe.

Thanks Buttman3! Budget isn't necessarily tight, I will spend what's needed, but of course if something's are a complete waste, I'd rather not waste my money on things I won't use.

I went with Zapcap or Bottle top filters bc I'll be doing a small test run batch but after that am looking to make a decent sized batch and I just don't want to spend the time nor effort on syringe filters when I can put 15psi on a hand pump and step away.

Can definitely drop the funnel, dropper, and glass stirring rod. I wanted a scale bc I'm also looking into getting ancillaries and PCT compounds which are typically dosed by the milligram. Hot plate would save a lot of money if I didn't need one. Looked at it since it could double as a magnetic stirrer also but if I find a cheap one I may just keep it lol. Will also drop the thermometer.

I've read about ethylene Oleate messing with certain rubber stoppers and allergic reactions to it but also read it can improve PIP and make for extremely smooth gear. Opinions on this?

Thanks again for such a detailed response brother :)

looks like you got all the bases covered. i normally only make small batches around 50ml. so i uses syringe filters and the caulking gun method but even then its still a pain in the a$$. next batch i make will be with a bottle top filter unit.

ive read the stories of ethyl oleate dissolving the rubber plunger on syringes that have been pre-loaded. ive never used EO but im tempted to add it into my next batch but only a small amount say around 10 - 15% and the rest GSO (and ba and bb).

also i buy my GSO from the supermarket and pre filter it also but this is just a personal choice.

Thanks Buttman3! Budget isn't necessarily tight, I will spend what's needed, but of course if something's are a complete waste, I'd rather not waste my money on things I won't use.

I went with Zapcap or Bottle top filters bc I'll be doing a small test run batch but after that am looking to make a decent sized batch and I just don't want to spend the time nor effort on syringe filters when I can put 15psi on a hand pump and step away.

You're welcome mate. Yeah, about the bottle top filters, if it's within your budget, it will be worth it especially if you're brewing a good sized batch. Syringe filter takes a lot of time and can get very annoying :D.

Can definitely drop the funnel, dropper, and glass stirring rod. I wanted a scale bc I'm also looking into getting ancillaries and PCT compounds which are typically dosed by the milligram. Hot plate would save a lot of money if I didn't need one. Looked at it since it could double as a magnetic stirrer also but if I find a cheap one I may just keep it lol. Will also drop the thermometer.

If you can afford a scale, you should definitely go for it. By the way, you can find a lot of lab supplies on Amazon or Ebay for lower prices. You can also get the supplies from websites from China for much cheaper, although I'm not sure if you have ever bought stuffs from China before.

I've read about ethylene Oleate messing with certain rubber stoppers and allergic reactions to it but also read it can improve PIP and make for extremely smooth gear. Opinions on this?

Thanks again for such a detailed response brother :)

From what I have read, EO is simply a solvent to help dissolve more powder per ml (higher dose), and thinning out the oil, making it go through a small pin easier. I don't really know if it reduces PIP or not, because I have never used it. But based on what I have read, the views on this are mixed. Some people say it reduces PIP, some say it increases PIP.

From my experience (using UGL, and using my own brew), as well as from reading people's posts on various forums, one of the reason for PIP is caused by high concentration of BA. I have had an actual experience with this about 5 weeks ago. I accidentally used 5% (or more) in my brew, and I had very bad PIP, followed by redness and swelling, which didn't go away after 2-3 days until I took an anti-inflammatory. I have never had PIP with my brew when I used around 1-2% or less.

Another reason for PIP is somewhat unknown, and it's related specifically to Test E. I have heard people theorized that it could be due to carbolic (?) acid being present in the Test E powder as the result of the production process. As far as my own experience with Test E is concerned, I have had moderate PIP and swelling at around 200mg/ml.

I suppose on this one, you'd have to do more research and make a judgement call on whether or not you should use EO.

Cheers mate :D.

Last edited:
looks like you got all the bases covered. i normally only make small batches around 50ml. so i uses syringe filters and the caulking gun method but even then its still a pain in the a$$. next batch i make will be with a bottle top filter unit.

ive read the stories of ethyl oleate dissolving the rubber plunger on syringes that have been pre-loaded. ive never used EO but im tempted to add it into my next batch but only a small amount say around 10 - 15% and the rest GSO (and ba and bb).

also i buy my GSO from the supermarket and pre filter it also but this is just a personal choice.

Thanks for he input brother! I'm definitely going bottle top filter setup. The trial run will only be for a few ml's of gear but the first real batch will probably be 50-100ml (it's for myself and a select group of close friends.

I'm not worried about the ethyl pleats dissolving rubber since I won't use that high a concentration of it and I heard its only a real concern if you're pre-loading syringes. Appreciate the help :)

You're welcome mate. Yeah, about the bottle top filters, if it's within your budget, it will be worth it especially if you're brewing a good sized batch. Syringe filter takes a lot of time and can get very annoying :D.

If you can afford a scale, you should definitely go for it. By the way, you can find a lot of lab supplies on Amazon or Ebay for lower prices. You can also get the supplies from websites from China for much cheaper, although I'm not sure if you have ever bought stuffs from China before.

From what I have read, EO is simply a solvent to help dissolve more powder per ml (higher dose), and thinning out the oil, making it go through a small pin easier. I don't really know if it reduces PIP or not, because I have never used it. But based on what I have read, the views on this are mixed. Some people say it reduces PIP, some say it increases PIP.

From my experience (using UGL, and using my own brew), as well as from reading people's posts on various forums, one of the reason for PIP is caused by high concentration of BA. I have had an actual experience with this about 5 weeks ago. I accidentally used 5% (or more) in my brew, and I had very bad PIP, followed by redness and swelling, which didn't go away after 2-3 days until I took an anti-inflammatory. I have never had PIP with my brew when I used around 1-2% or less.

Another reason for PIP is somewhat unknown, and it's related specifically to Test E. I have heard people theorized that it could be due to carbolic (?) acid being present in the Test E powder as the result of the production process. As far as my own experience with Test E is concerned, I have had moderate PIP and swelling at around 200mg/ml.

I suppose on this one, you'd have to do more research and make a judgement call on whether or not you should use EO.

Cheers mate :D.

Looking at the Nalgene or Zapcap setup and buying a separate glass media jar (read reports of the plastic one breaking at around 13psi). Only thing that confuses me is how to draw the gear from the media jar after filtering? Do you just remove the upper portion, expose it to air and draw it up in a sterile syringe or is there a better method?

I only did a quick cursory search on prices and whatnot but most of the stuff I found on Amazon, eBay, and google shopping. Very few things I found from an actual lab supply store bc of the price as mentioned. I've found scales for under $75 that are accurate to the mg and just for accuracy and peace of mind will more than likely get one. Will look into the china angle, thanks for that tip.

I've heard about EO being used to make higher concentrations too. I saw in Dialtone's recipes his comments on EO and those from other forums on the topic. Main concern is the allergen factor. Research is definitely needed lol. I greatly appreciate your response my friend. It's been a big help so far.

when i make my next batch ill be using the millipore stericups. once the gear is filtered take the top filter unit off and replace it with a screw cap with silicone septa. ive herd of these leaking so i might try putting 2 septas so when you screw the cap down it creates a tighter seal. then ill just use a 19guage pin to draw out the gear and put into separate vials.

when i make my next batch ill be using the millipore stericups. once the gear is filtered take the top filter unit off and replace it with a screw cap with silicone septa. ive herd of these leaking so i might try putting 2 septas so when you screw the cap down it creates a tighter seal. then ill just use a 19guage pin to draw out the gear and put into separate vials.

Thank you so much. That was something I was worried about with bottle top filters, how to draw liquid out after filtering. Do you know if the whatman Zapcap or Nalgene setup shave something similar?

Do you know if the whatman Zapcap or Nalgene setup shave something similar?

im not sure what size screw cap fits those units. i know some units are 45mm and some are 35mm. the whatmans or nalgene might not even be either one of them so im not to sure. id say there would definitely be a cap to fit then youl just have to search for the right size septa

im not sure what size screw cap fits those units. i know some units are 45mm and some are 35mm. the whatmans or nalgene might not even be either one of them so im not to sure. id say there would definitely be a cap to fit then youl just have to search for the right size septa

Thanks again Kataklysum, you've been extremely helpful :)

no worries mate. let me know how it all works out for you. as i said i havent used the bottle top filter units but my next brew will be bottle top units and ill be getting the screw caps with septas. nothing is 100% sterile in homebrew but in my opinion i think the caps are the best way to do it and keep the filtered gear as sterile as possible.

what are you planning on brewing if you dont mind me asking? are you gonna go the test e for the first time or are you going all out with other exotic compounds

I only did a quick cursory search on prices and whatnot but most of the stuff I found on Amazon, eBay, and google shopping. Very few things I found from an actual lab supply store bc of the price as mentioned. I've found scales for under $75 that are accurate to the mg and just for accuracy and peace of mind will more than likely get one. Will look into the china angle, thanks for that tip.

I've heard about EO being used to make higher concentrations too. I saw in Dialtone's recipes his comments on EO and those from other forums on the topic. Main concern is the allergen factor. Research is definitely needed lol. I greatly appreciate your response my friend. It's been a big help so far.

Not sure if you have been to this site, but they have a few scales under $60 that are accurate to 0.1g (100mg).

Scales - Weigh Supplies | Med Lab Supply

cheers.

Edit:

Found a scale on Amazon that is accurate to 0.001g (1mg) for $23 :D.

American Weigh Scales GEMINI-20 Portable MilliGram Scale, 20 by 0.001 G: Kitchen & Dining: Amazon.com

Here is another one for $15!

Amazon.com - Weigh Masters Precision+ ProDigital Portable Gem Scale 20g x 0.001g (Black)

And another for $15:

BestDealUSA 0.001g 20g Digital Jewelry Diamond Pocket 0.001 g Scale With Backlit LCD Screen: Kitchen & Dining: Amazon.com

Also found a bunch more on Ebay for as low as $12!

digital scale 0.001g in Pocket Digital Scales | eBay

Last edited:
Not sure if you have been to this site, but they have a few scales under $60 that are accurate to 0.1g (100mg).

Scales - Weigh Supplies | Med Lab Supply

cheers.

Edit:

Found a scale on Amazon that is accurate to 0.001g (1mg) for $23 :D.

American Weigh Scales GEMINI-20 Portable MilliGram Scale, 20 by 0.001 G: Kitchen & Dining: Amazon.com

Here is another one for $15!

Amazon.com - Weigh Masters Precision+ ProDigital Portable Gem Scale 20g x 0.001g (Black)

And another for $15:

BestDealUSA 0.001g 20g Digital Jewelry Diamond Pocket 0.001 g Scale With Backlit LCD Screen: Kitchen & Dining: Amazon.com

Also found a bunch more on Ebay for as low as $12!

digital scale 0.001g in Pocket Digital Scales | eBay

Damn brother, that's more help than I expected, want to source the rest of the stuff for me :p hahaha. I'll be checking those scales out when I get home tonight. They're definitely cheaper than the one I had my eye on

buttmans on the money. i bought a Gemini PRO Milligram Scale 20g x 0.001. cost me 100$ tho but its super accurate to the point if i slowly move my hand over the top of it the scale goes up and down.

good for weighing out stuff that needs to be pretty spot on. methyltrienolone :dunno:

buttmans on the money. i bought a Gemini PRO Milligram Scale 20g x 0.001. cost me 100$ tho but its super accurate to the point if i slowly move my hand over the top of it the scale goes up and down.

good for weighing out stuff that needs to be pretty spot on. methyltrienolone :dunno:

Thanks again Kataklysum. Can't wait to start ordering my supplies. I'm excited lol :)

Back