Supplies for first time home brewer

Hey mate, it looks like you have all the equipments needed. If your budget is tight, I think you can do without some of them.

Based on my experience, I have been able to brew without some of these items (highlighted in red):

-Sterile sealed vials (50ml jugs and smaller 10ml vials)
-sterile syringes (3cc, 20cc, and 50cc)
-sterile needles (18-23g 1/2in-1in)
-coffee filters (for pre-filtering)

-Whattman Zapcap or Nalgene Bottle Top Filter
-hand vacuum pump with pressure gauge
-nylon or rubber tubing for vacuum pump

* I use syringe filters instead of Bottle Top filters. It's a less expensive alternative.
Syringe filter is tough to use, so some people came up with the idea of using a caulking gun with a large syringe, that looks something like this:

6343d1130091713-homebrew-vs-pre-made-gear-savings-cgunfilter.jpg

-glass media jar (250ml or 500ml)

-funnel - Optional.

--glass beakers (250ml and 500ml)
-Graduated cylinders (10ml, 50ml, and 100ml)

-glass stirring rod
-hot plate
-liquid dropper
-scale

* Instead of using a stirring rod, I just swirl my vial. Instead of a hot plate, I use boiling water or sometimes a microwave oven. The liquid dropper can be substituted with a syringe. As for the digital scale, I use a spoon to measure and estimate the volume of 1g of a compound. Of course, this method is not as accurate as using a digital scale, but it's good enough when a digital scale is expensive.

-gloves and mask

-thermometer - Optional, unless you're doing the melting test. For brewing purposes, it's not needed in my experience.

-spray bottle
-Isopropyl Alcohol
-Benzyl Benzonate
-Benzyl Alcohol
-Grapeseed Oil

-Ethyl Oleate - from my understanding, this solvent is used for (1) compounds that crash easily, or (2) brewing compounds at a high dosage.

I have seen brew that did not need Ethyl Oleate, such as Tren A/E @100, Test P/E @100/200, Nandrolone (Deca) @200, Boldenone (EQ) @600, Drostanolone P (Mast P) @100, Stanozolol (Winstrol) @50.

One thing I think you might want to look into is that Ethyl Oleate (EO) can cause allergic reaction for people. I have also read cases where people said the EO melted the rubber stopper or rubber plunger of their syringe.

I'm trying to figure out; whats that blue thing on that caulking gun?

no worries mate. let me know how it all works out for you. as i said i havent used the bottle top filter units but my next brew will be bottle top units and ill be getting the screw caps with septas. nothing is 100% sterile in homebrew but in my opinion i think the caps are the best way to do it and keep the filtered gear as sterile as possible.

what are you planning on brewing if you dont mind me asking? are you gonna go the test e for the first time or are you going all out with other exotic compounds

I will def keep an updated thread with my experience and probably take pictures of the setup and process for my own records and to help others in the future. I've been studying this for a while and it seems like Buttman is a great asset to this forum but more of us should get in on it too. I understand the issue of sterility before filtering since not many use an autoclave or pressure cooker to sterilize glassware and no one works with a vented hood to maintain sterility but filtering should ensure sterility and the BA maintains sterility. Or do I have that wrong?

I'm probably going to brew some test e and tren a, cap my own Nolva and Clomid and make my is liquidex. Maybe do some. Anavar (var) while I'm at it. Not sure yet what I want for my next cycle but always open to opinions :D. I'll also be brewing for my cousin (his first cycle) so basic test e also for him.

sounds good mate. looks like you've done more then enough research about the homebrew process and you know how it all goes together so youl enjoy some good quallity gear once you brew it. if you run into trouble im sure buttman or some of the other members on here will be able to help out.

sounds good mate. looks like you've done more then enough research about the homebrew process and you know how it all goes together so youl enjoy some good quallity gear once you brew it. if you run into trouble im sure buttman or some of the other members on here will be able to help out.

I have OCD tendencies and they're manifesting here in my attempts to homebrew lol. Learning is a never ending process for me so I will keep researching until I've exhausted everything I possibly can haha. Thanks for your help brother and I look forward to the joys of being a kitchen chemist :D

Damn brother, that's more help than I expected, want to source the rest of the stuff for me :p hahaha. I'll be checking those scales out when I get home tonight. They're definitely cheaper than the one I had my eye on

LOL, glad I could help. By the way, I didn't expect to find digital scales with 0.001g accurate at these kind of prices :D. I was very shocked to see $15 ones LOL! As you can see from my first reply, I never bought a digital scale because they're usually very expensive. Now that I know these are out there, I might get them when I can save up some money.

SamSport said:
I'm trying to figure out; whats that blue thing on that caulking gun?

I'm not sure, mate. Perhaps someone who has used this device can answer this. I know one of the members on here named Ligand who uses it, but I don't remember if it has that blue thing or not. Some caulking guns don't have it.

kataklysum said:

I'm sure we all would be glad to help each other out :D.

Cheers.

LOL, glad I could help. By the way, I didn't expect to find digital scales with 0.001g accurate at these kind of prices :D. I was very shocked to see $15 ones LOL! As you can see from my first reply, I never bought a digital scale because they're usually very expensive. Now that I know these are out there, I might get them when I can save up some money.

I'm not sure, mate. Perhaps someone who has used this device can answer this. I know one of the members on here named Ligand who uses it, but I don't remember if it has that blue thing or not. Some caulking guns don't have it.

I'm sure we all would be glad to help each other out :D.

Cheers.

Those prices were pretty amazing. We have some nice scales at my job with the "cage" around them. They're accurate to the 6th decimal point but $2500+ for one of those bad boys :(

Buttman is ALWAYS on the money!

P.S Dre, you're not a real home brewer till you get excited and blow a filter off somewhere and spill freshly brewed gear all over your kitchen bench. Oh, the tears.

Buttman is ALWAYS on the money!

P.S Dre, you're not a real home brewer till you get excited and blow a filter off somewhere and spill freshly brewed gear all over your kitchen bench. Oh, the tears.

Lmao, if that's the case I hope I never become a real home brewer :p. I'm sure your tears were short lived though with the next batch you made haha

Hey mate, it looks like you have all the equipments needed. If your budget is tight, I think you can do without some of them.

Based on my experience, I have been able to brew without some of these items (highlighted in red):

-Sterile sealed vials (50ml jugs and smaller 10ml vials)
-sterile syringes (3cc, 20cc, and 50cc)
-sterile needles (18-23g 1/2in-1in)
-coffee filters (for pre-filtering)

-Whattman Zapcap or Nalgene Bottle Top Filter
-hand vacuum pump with pressure gauge
-nylon or rubber tubing for vacuum pump

* I use syringe filters instead of Bottle Top filters. It's a less expensive alternative.
Syringe filter is tough to use, so some people came up with the idea of using a caulking gun with a large syringe, that looks something like this:

6343d1130091713-homebrew-vs-pre-made-gear-savings-cgunfilter.jpg

-glass media jar (250ml or 500ml)

-funnel - Optional.

--glass beakers (250ml and 500ml)
-Graduated cylinders (10ml, 50ml, and 100ml)

-glass stirring rod
-hot plate
-liquid dropper
-scale

* Instead of using a stirring rod, I just swirl my vial. Instead of a hot plate, I use boiling water or sometimes a microwave oven. The liquid dropper can be substituted with a syringe. As for the digital scale, I use a spoon to measure and estimate the volume of 1g of a compound. Of course, this method is not as accurate as using a digital scale, but it's good enough when a digital scale is expensive.

-gloves and mask

-thermometer - Optional, unless you're doing the melting test. For brewing purposes, it's not needed in my experience.

-spray bottle
-Isopropyl Alcohol
-Benzyl Benzonate
-Benzyl Alcohol
-Grapeseed Oil

-Ethyl Oleate - from my understanding, this solvent is used for (1) compounds that crash easily, or (2) brewing compounds at a high dosage.

I have seen brew that did not need Ethyl Oleate, such as Tren A/E @100, Test P/E @100/200, Nandrolone (Deca) @200, Boldenone (EQ) @600, Drostanolone P (Mast P) @100, Stanozolol (Winstrol) @50.

One thing I think you might want to look into is that Ethyl Oleate (EO) can cause allergic reaction for people. I have also read cases where people said the EO melted the rubber stopper or rubber plunger of their syringe.

so what are those blue things?

I would like to make that set up.

looks like a 10ml syringe and i know there is a filter and standard caulking gun. What else?

Thanks.

so what are those blue things?

I would like to make that set up.

looks like a 10ml syringe and i know there is a filter and standard caulking gun. What else?

Thanks.

Hey mate,

I have no idea what the blue thing is. Sorry. This device wasn't designed by me :D.

With that said, the blue thing looks like it was used to stabilize the syringe. I have seen similar caulking gun filters that don't use the blue thing, so I think you would be ok without it:

24g37o5.jpg

Last edited:
Back