syringe filters....

which brand is best and what size?

Depends on what you are trying to do with them. The make syringe filters that just have a small piece of cotton built into the needle. These are mostly used for drawing sterile gear out of an ampule. Sometimes when breaking the top off of an amp, small pieces of glass will fall into the oil. This small piece of cotton is enough to catch these pieces of glass. I think BD makes the best of this type.
Then there are. 20 micron filter and. 45 micron filters that will filter out the smallest of impurities. They are much more expensive. I think whatman makes the best of this type. I use. 20 whatman filters for making water based compounds like BA. I use. 45 whatman filters for making oil based gear. Keep in mind, it takes heat and a whatman filter to sterilize gear.

Depends on what you are trying to do with them. The make syringe filters that just have a small piece of cotton built into the needle. These are mostly used for drawing sterile gear out of an ampule. Sometimes when breaking the top off of an amp, small pieces of glass will fall into the oil. This small piece of cotton is enough to catch these pieces of glass. I think BD makes the best of this type.
Then there are. 20 micron filter and. 45 micron filters that will filter out the smallest of impurities. They are much more expensive. I think whatman makes the best of this type. I use. 20 whatman filters for making water based compounds like BA. I use. 45 whatman filters for making oil based gear. Keep in mind, it takes heat and a whatman filter to sterilize gear.

yea this will be for Test E. i understand the sterilization process takes heat and then the final step will be to filter so to be more specific in my question which filter brand/size will work best to filter the hot gear? at what temp is a safe temp to run the gear through the filter? ive read that really hot gear will blow through some filters and i definitely dont want to do that.

also have you or anyone heard of or used the Whatman Autovial syringless filter?

yea this will be for Test E. i understand the sterilization process takes heat and then the final step will be to filter so to be more specific in my question which filter brand/size will work best to filter the hot gear? at what temp is a safe temp to run the gear through the filter? ive read that really hot gear will blow through some filters and i definitely dont want to do that.

also have you or anyone heard of or used the Whatman Autovial syringless filter?
Buddy all I can say is I hope you'rre not gonna be filtering too much of that test e cause your thumbs and fingers gonna be hurting!

never used whatman autovial.... I have used millipore, nalgene, and sigma-aldrich (the best in my opinion) bottle top filters. As for filter media, I prefer pvdf .22 microns but some like nylon bc its faster. I have used whatman and corning syringe filters. You need to filter >150F but I like mine around 100F. If you are going to use syringe filters then put the syringe in a caulk gun but don't put too much pressure because it can rupture the filter. You know the filter is bad when the brew no longer drips out and instead runs out like a faucet.
Hope this helps

never used whatman autovial.... I have used millipore, nalgene, and sigma-aldrich (the best in my opinion) bottle top filters. As for filter media, I prefer pvdf .22 microns but some like nylon bc its faster. I have used whatman and corning syringe filters. You need to filter >150F but I like mine around 100F. If you are going to use syringe filters then put the syringe in a caulk gun but don't put too much pressure because it can rupture the filter. You know the filter is bad when the brew no longer drips out and instead runs out like a faucet.
Hope this helps

when i brew my test .. i use a whatman syringe filter .. pours pretty quick, not just "drips" but a steady stream .. never had one go bad .. and use them for about 100ml each..

Syringe filter - GD/X™ - Whatman - Videos

check that out

when i brew my test .. i use a whatman syringe filter .. pours pretty quick, not just "drips" but a steady stream .. never had one go bad .. and use them for about 100ml each..

Syringe filter - GD/X***8482; - Whatman - Videos

check that out

The videos are really not relevant as they are not using anything oil based and the filter is .45 microns not .22 microns (what we should be using). Really, If you are putting enough pressure on a syringe to cause a brew at the correct temp to pour out of a .22 micron pvdf filter then you are in too big of a hurry and asking for trouble....slow your roll be patient. Not saying it can't be done nor that it can't be done safely but I don't want any medicine in me that was made by someone in a hurry much less a med that I'm injecting in my body.

Syringe filters are good and fine for making small batches (100ml or less) and not to mention cheap, but there are much better methods of filtration if you have the $.... like this
Sigma-Aldrich® vacuum filtration assembly for 47 mm filters with glass support, #8 stopper, 1 L flask | Sigma-Aldrich

I can run 1/2L (500ml) about as fast as 50ml thru a syringe filter unless you have super hero hands and can push 300mg/ml brew thru your .22micron PVDF as fast as that pink water in the video but hell if that was possible then I'm guessing there would be no need for vacuum filters at all.

Last edited:

0.2o por filter here: Whatman Sterile Syringe Filter .20u - Accessories

and get a few 20+ ML syringes

Back