The myth of 'bro-splits' for muscle size

Roush

I am banned!
As most of you guys know I'm NOT an advocate of 'bro-splits' (one body part per week training) for most people (ie., for 90% of people that workout , there is that genetic blessed 10% that bro splits actually work for though).

I advocate higher frequency training and design most my programming around frequency. at least for hypertrophy (muscle growth). for strength phases and for maintenance phases i use less frequency (and I've even used bro-splits myself, but again only for maintenance, not growth).

found this short little video by Dr. Mike Israetel (one of the foremost best guys in the business , imo)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7b5hOWfwdc

watch it , let me know what you think. could you benefit from higher frequency and dropping your bro split program?

I like the high frequency. Just like I have said about training a lagging body part, what do I do is I increase the frequency but when do so I change the intensity.

Good video thanks

Good video but I'm still not doing legs twice/week

do you do a full leg day ? meaning the whole workout is just leg day and you do that once per week ? if so, try taking that same volume and breaking it down into more frequency . so on a day you do arms, you also do 10x10 squats. a day you do chest, you do 10x15 leg extension etc..

bet your legs would respond without having to add in a whole other grueling leg day session per week. cause i guarantee you that your legs probably don't need a whole week to rest. so your missing out on a lot of potential leg growth by resting them a whole week

Good video but I'm still not doing legs twice/week

WHY
Gib IMOP it doesn't make sense. If you believe in working a muscle twice a week , which has always been the norm, then why not legs.

MY best routine and really the only routine for me ( not now at 65) was 3 on with one off and begin again. Depending on your own personal muscle genetics why. I know there are some guys that grow legs like no tomorrow, just fvckin grow.

For the average , I don 't believe one a week is enough stimulation.

Last edited:
I've argued this here more than once. Training muscles once per week is leaving gains on the table....period.

^ exactly . the muscle you trained is responding to that stimulus for about 2 days (depending on muscle group and homeostatic stress to that group), after that 2 days then its on its way back to homeostasis. if muscle is not trained again, then there is no need for that muscle to continue to grow , no need for the body to carry the extra muscle mass.

the whole "you grow when you rest" idea is true for only a couple days, after that you stop growing , and depending on your metabolism may start to go backwards.

Back