TNE experiment question

corndawg12

Ok....this is my first go around using sodium hydroxide to make the estradiol water soluable...when I add the NaOH solution to methanol solution I get an almost immediate precipitation...the solution turned yellow and precip was formed...I dont' think I was supposed to get a precip...any ideas on what I did wrong....

Last edited:
The test will immediately start to precipitate out, because you are diluting the methanol with water.....and test is not soluble in water. That is normal.

I have never had it turn yellow, how much sodium hydroxide did you put in your solution?

OK, same thing happened to me and I was very confused. The prcecip you got wan a combo of TNE and TP. It is notmal for it to turn yellow. If you do it this way you will need a paint strainer from homedepot (net) it will filter perfectly. Just wash it A LOT with distilled water to get the NaOH off of there.

If you dont want a precip then melt your NaOH in HEET (about 1/4 cup) and just add a LITTLE (2-3%) water just for solubility. You only need about 2 tsp of NaOH per bottle of HEET (355ml) to get the job done, you can use more but it will be very slick and soapy and take forever to wash it out with distilled water.

Dump in the NaOH+HEET (which is actually called sodium methoxide at this point) swirl it around and let it sit overnight (or about an hour if your in a hurry). Then do the dripping distilled water thing to crystalize.

Make sure you wash it good with distilled water!

P.S. I could be completely wrong about anything - chemists please correct me, I have of course only done this as experiment and then destroyed the product.

anunknownuser said:
OK, same thing happened to me and I was very confused. The prcecip you got wan a combo of TNE and TP. It is notmal for it to turn yellow. If you do it this way you will need a paint strainer from homedepot (net) it will filter perfectly. Just wash it A LOT with distilled water to get the NaOH off of there.

If you dont want a precip then melt your NaOH in HEET (about 1/4 cup) and just add a LITTLE (2-3%) water just for solubility. You only need about 2 tsp of NaOH per bottle of HEET (355ml) to get the job done, you can use more but it will be very slick and soapy and take forever to wash it out with distilled water.

Dump in the NaOH+HEET (which is actually called sodium methoxide at this point) swirl it around and let it sit overnight (or about an hour if your in a hurry). Then do the dripping distilled water thing to crystalize.

Make sure you wash it good with distilled water!

P.S. I could be completely wrong about anything - chemists please correct me, I have of course only done this as experiment and then destroyed the product.

WOW..that is a relief...I thought I had crashed the whole mess...thanks for the insight...you have been a big help!!!

Your welcome, the first time I tried this I used probably 4-5 TBSP NaOH in water also. When I added it to the mixture it started bubbling and turned piss yellow.

I then began experimenting using only one cart at a time (2G) you only need about 70ml HEET and about 1/4 teaspoon of NaOH. I experimented with small amounts until I got it right. Your final product will have a yellow tint to it, according to another board this is because of the deprotonization of the estradiol, but I don't know enough to confirm this. Time to take more chemistry lessons.

I have consistently yielded about 75% product with this method which is about right after you loose the esters etc I guess...

I suspended mine in grape seed oil 100mg/ml (very thin) with some BA and BB. It gives you a KICK really fast. I mix it with tren 50mg for ED injections. It will aromatize FAST, so make sure you have some nolva/arimadex on hand.

anunknownuser said:
Your welcome, the first time I tried this I used probably 4-5 TBSP NaOH in water also. When I added it to the mixture it started bubbling and turned piss yellow.

I then began experimenting using only one cart at a time (2G) you only need about 70ml HEET and about 1/4 teaspoon of NaOH. I experimented with small amounts until I got it right. Your final product will have a yellow tint to it, according to another board this is because of the deprotonization of the estradiol, but I don't know enough to confirm this. Time to take more chemistry lessons.

I have consistently yielded about 75% product with this method which is about right after you loose the esters etc I guess...

I suspended mine in grape seed oil 100mg/ml (very thin) with some BA and BB. It gives you a KICK really fast. I mix it with tren 50mg for ED injections. It will aromatize FAST, so make sure you have some nolva/arimadex on hand.

Yielded exactly 75% out of 3 carts...Next time I will certainly try doing one cart at a time....just for informational purposes, a large, glass "iced tea" pitcher from you local multi-purpose store works great to hold the solution during the crystallization stage....

Back