TRT: Review Finds No Evidence of Cardiovascular Risk - Jan 30, 2015

IMT staff

Official Sponsor
Great article and video with one of the foremost experts on TRT in the world.

Thank you to our NY network Physician for sharing this with us.

A review of literature published online in Mayo Clinic Proceedings (Jan. 26, 2015) has found no evidence that testosterone therapy increases cardiovascular risk, although one mens health expert cautions that thorough patient counseling is necessary and that only a well-controlled prospective study will definitively answer questions surrounding testosterone and cardiovascular risk.

The reviews lead author, Abraham Morgentaler, MD, of Mens Health Boston and Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, called it the most comprehensive and definitive review to date.

TRT: Review finds no evidence of cardiovascular risk | Urology Times

He points out that the actual numbers of the literature published on recent articles claiming cardio vascular risk with TRT show the men that where on TRT actual had LESS events.

This is something that IMT also noticed some time ago:

TOTAL MEN IN THE STUDY: 8,709
MEN ON TESTOSTERONE: 1,223
67 deaths, 23 MIs and 33 strokes for a total of 123 = 10%

MEN NOT ON TESTOSTERONE: 7,486
681 deaths, 420 MIs and 486 strokes for a total of 1,587 = 20%

Im not great a math but I am failing to see the correlation. It seems to me the testosterone actually helped.

3. Nowhere in the study does it say what form of testosterone or how much they were given. No one has a clue what these patients were actually taking since they were not being controlled, the study of the data was done long after the men were placed on testosterone.

The study honestly sounds more like a lawyer wrote it than researchers because it links numerous other studies to it in order to come to its conclusion, in my humble opinion its no more than very biased school report.

https://www.increasemyt.com/blog/the-testosterone-lawsuits

:kiss2::whipping::shoot7::thefinger

Last edited:
Now just need the medical community to recognize estradiol is the REAL bogeyman, and we're golden. Drives me insane how many doctors don't monitor or control estradiol at all.

My .02c :)

Now just need the medical community to recognize estradiol is the REAL bogeyman, and we're golden. Drives me insane how many doctors don't monitor or control estradiol at all.

It is shocking how many doctors are not aware of the effects of estradiol for men and don't do any blood test to monitor it.

When my internist did the blood test. I asked to have estradiol checked and the reply was. "That is a female hormone, no need to test that".

It is shocking how many doctors are not aware of the effects of estradiol for men and don't do any blood test to monitor it.

When my internist did the blood test. I asked to have estradiol checked and the reply was. "That is a female hormone, no need to test that".

My dad's doc said the same exact thing, then asked him if his son studies medicine. Lol

I could not agree more. My endo is much better than virtually every one that I have read or heard about but he still refuses to even monitor estradiol. His position is that reducing it has been shown to cause osteoporosis. Fortunately, I'm on twice weekly injections of 50mg each which keep me in range without an AI (as I privately do bloodwork on my own). Such a hassle to go to another country to get this private bloodwork though.

My wife just had a cow when a Doc was on GMA this morning (3/4/15) to report that men on TRT need to be aware of the increased cardiovascular risk....

Just showed her this link to put her mind at ease.

Gerd damn ambulance chasers.
ED ZACHARY!

I'm all for free speech and making sure folks are safe, but this vulture shit the lawyers are pulling is getting silly. Hell, aspirin has killed FAR more people than AAS ever will, yet you don't see ads for that... Wonder why..?

Here is so more evidence to throw at it. Mods you think we should sticky this? I personally think it needs to stay at top since this is such a hot topic right now. Maybe use this thread to add evidence as people find it?

The public judgment of the overselling of testosterone therapy demands a response, stated the lead author, Martin Miner, MD, Clinical Associate Professor of Family Medicine and Urology, Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University.

As researchers and clinicians with extensive experience with testosterone deficiency and its treatment, we do not find any credible evidence that testosterone prescriptions increase health risks. We find the assertion that testosterone is prescribed to men who are simply reluctant to accept the fact that they are getting older is without foundation, and we object to comments that question the reality of testosterone deficiency, regardless of whether it is called hypogonadism or, as in advertisements, low T, Dr Miner stated.

In addition, in our opinion, the idea that physicians prescribe testosterone due to pressure from drug companies is irresponsible and not supported by scientific evidence."

Over-the-top comments tend to scare both patients and physicians. The FDA announcement that it is investigating the reports of increased cardiovascular risks has only added to the impression that a major study has determined serious problems with testosterone therapy, he stated.

A case in point is a recent report1 published in PLoS ONE that investigated the risk of acute nonfatal myocardial infarction (MI) in a retrospective cohort study of a health-claims database. The authors compared the rates of MI within the first 90 days of an initial prescription for testosterone with the rates of MI for the 12 prior months in nearly 56 000 men. They also examined pre- and post-prescription incidence rates for nonfatal MI in another large cohort of more than 167 000 men for whom only phosphodiesterase-5 inhibitor (PDE5i) medications were prescribed, and after adjusting for potential confounders, compared these results to those of men who received testosterone prescriptions.

The authors concluded that the risk of MI following testosterone prescription was substantially increased (at least twofold) in older men and younger men with preexisting, diagnosed heart disease.

A close examination reveals that this study is too flawed to provide meaningful information on the cardiovascular risk of testosterone therapy, stated Dr Miner. First, the overall rate of nonfatal MI in the testosterone-treated group increased in all ages from 3.48 to 4.75 per 1,000 person-years. This amounts to just greater than one additional MI in 1,000 years of exposure to testosterone. It is misleading to characterize this increase as substantial based on relative risk when the absolute risk is so small and clinically meaningless.

Also, the study duration (90 days) was short, and a true control group would have consisted of men with untreated testosterone deficiency, not those who received PDE5i medications. The overall risk was low, and the number of events in subgroups was remarkably few, he noted.

More data from larger, longer term studies are needed to assess the potential effects of testosterone therapy on cardiovascular events in men. Based on the current evidence, he stated, "we can find no foundation for suggesting new restrictions on testosterone therapy in men with cardiac disease."

The researchers reported their results2 in the April 8, 2014 issue of Journal of Men's Health.

Evidence on Testosterone Therapy Does Not Support Cardiac Risk | ConsultantLive

Last edited:
Just some more evidence showing the recent studies relating testosterone therapy to increased cardio vascular risk are complete BS:

March 7 2015

Abstract
Although numerous randomized studies have shown that testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) improves intermediate outcomes in patients at risk and in those with proven cardiovascular disease (CVD), results derived mainly from registries and observational studies have suggested an increased cardiovascular risk in elderly men receiving often supra-therapeutic doses of testosterone. Recent meta-analyses have shown that when testosterone has been used in patients with pre-existing cardiovascular conditions, the effect on the disease has been either beneficial or neutral. Similar results have been reported in hypo- and eugonadal men. Contrasting results have been reported by two trials of testosterone treatment in frail elderly men. Reports from poorly analyzed databases have reported an increased risk of cardiovascular events with testosterone use. More recently, a population-based study showed no increased cardiovascular risk of testosterone replacement in hypogonadal men. Available data from controlled clinical trials suggest that the use of testosterone in elderly men does not increase cardiovascular risk nor the risk of events. Studies in men with CVD, angina, or heart failure report a benefit from testosterone replacement in men with or without hypogonadism. Therefore, at present, the cardiovascular benefits of TRT in elderly men outweigh the risks. This is particularly evident in those men with pre-existing CVD.

Testosterone in men with hypogonadism and high cardiovascular risk, Pros - Online First - Springer

Last edited:
Bump, I wanted to post this article here too so we can keep everything together:

This article was fwd to us courtesy of our New York based physician:

A newly published review suggests that age-related testosterone deficiency treatment with intramuscular injections of testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) offers health benefits and lower cardiovascular risk compared to testosterone replacement by patch or gel.

While TRT can result in increased muscle mass and strength, decreased fat mass, and increased bone mineral density, the therapy has known risks. These include the development of polycythemia, decreases in high-density lipoprotein cholesterol, breast tenderness and enlargement, and prostate issues.

The authors point out, however, that TRT does not increase prostate cancer risk. And whether TRT hurts, helps, or has no effect on cardiovascular risk remains controversial in the literature.

The University of Florida, Gainesville, researchers who conducted this latest review were among the authors of a previously published study suggesting that oral TRT increases cardiovascular risk, but no significant cardiovascular effects were noted with injected or transdermal TRT (BMC Med 2014; 12:211).

For the current study, which was published online in the American Journal of Physiology Endocrinology and Metabolism (April 21, 2015), study authors Stephen E. Borst, PhD, and Joshua F. Yarrow, PhD, reviewed literature indicating that intramuscular injected TRT produces greater musculoskeletal benefits and lower cardiovascular risk compared to transdermal TRT We also review the literature discussing the use of 5-reductase inhibitors as a promising means of improving the safety profile of TRT.

According to the authors, for older hypogonadal men, administering TRT by injection, versus orally or transdermally, offers greater musculoskeletal benefits because doses are higher by injection. But while doses are higher when injected, intramuscular TRT might be less likely to result in cardiovascular risks than transdermal TRT. This could be because transdermal testosterone results in greater serum dihydrotestosterone (DHT) elevation, due to significant expression of 5-reductase in skin not muscle.

Injected TRT earns high marks for safety, effectiveness | Urology Times

Really good thread IMT! Some info here I have to copy and show to an old geezer of a 46 yr old friend of mine who is telling me how I am risking my life being on TRT while he is taking every test boosters from GNC!

Back