Ufc 98: May 23, 2009

Eze

UFC 98: MAY 23, 2009
venue: MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada

Main Card Bouts:
-Rashad Evans (16-0-1; #1 Light Heavyweight in the World)* vs. Lyoto Machida (14-0; #2 Light Heavyweight in the World)*
-Yushin Okami (23-4; #3 Middleweight in the World)* vs. Dan Miller (11-1)
-Matt Hughes (42-7; #6 Welterweight in the World)* vs. Matt Serra (11-5; #7 Welterweight in the World)*
-Sean Sherk (33-3-1) vs. Frankie Edgar (9-1)
-Drew McFedries (7-5) vs. Xavier Foupa-Pokam (20-10)

Preliminary Card Bouts:
-Brock Larson (25-2) vs. Chris Wilson (14-5)
-Yoshiyuki Yoshida (10-3) vs. Brandon Wolff (7-3)
-Tim Hague (9-1) vs. Patrick Barry (4-0)
-Phillipe Nover (7-1) vs. Kyle Bradley (13-6)
-Andre Gusmao (5-1) vs. Houston Alexander (8-4)
-George Roop (10-5) vs. David Kaplan (3-3)

Last edited:
This one has been a bunch of bullshit. Initially, Hughes wouldn't reschedule because he had something happening..but he wanted it to coincide with some family stuff that Serra had going on. neither would budge.....lots of silly assed behind the scenes drama.

Their days as top contenders in the MW division are probably over, but it doesn't mean it can't/won't be a good fight

UFC 98: MAY 23, 2009
venue: TBA in Las Vegas, Nevada

-Matt Hughes (#6 Welterweight in the World)* vs. Matt Serra (#7 Welterweight in the World)*

Wow Serra Dropped down fast after one loss.
I actually think Chris Lytle had him beat.
Hughes carreer is done.
i hope Hughes doesnt gas and kicks his ass.

it's about time that this fight happened. I wouldn't put Serra too far out of contention..so far he's 1-1 against the current world champ...there's always a chance he could make it back to the #1 contender spot with a win or 2.

All fighters hug after the fight.

The winner usually thinks, "Hey I won, we can quash this grudge that we have. I am happy, I won"

The loser, "This mother fucker just won, now he wants to add salt to the wound and is going to hug me. For fuck sakes, I can't act like a poor sport. Maybe I will eye gouge him when he leans in"

I have to admit, I wanna see this fight. Will I pay for it if this is the main event? Fuck no. The afterfight hug is almost mandatory. The shit that personally pisses me off after a competition is too much talking to me from an opponent after a loss. Dude, you won, let's give each other a one armed hug and then go away.

A good example of this was the way GSP hounded Koscheck after the fight. Koscheck said that he just wanted the muherfucker to go away. He said that he was in his lockerroom after the loss and his people were like "Uh, GSP wants to come in and talk." Kos said he was pissed and didn't want to talk to him at all but he let him anyway. He said it was hard to be mad at him because he was so nice but in the end he really just wanted his privacy and downtime.

I'm with DD, I would like to see this fight but it is most certainly not a headliner fight.

Hughes has not looked good for any of his previous fights, even the Penn fight he looked bad and if Penn hadn't gassed out like he normally does then Penn would have won. Serra got lucky with GSP; everybody has a puncher's chance. He got his and capitalized on it by never letting him recover. The second fight showed how incomplete he was.

I've liked both and also have disliked them; I think they are a perfect match to fight each other. Dana should put his foot down and say, this is the day of the fight and either you fight or you are out. Neither are fighting now so they are already on the way out as far as I'm concerned. A lot of these other guys would dominate either in my opinion. If GSP can take these two out quickly but goes that many rounds with these other guys, that tells me they are better fighters then the Matts.

GSP is a nice guy, a very nice guy. He's funny and he is genuine. You think you laugh at his comments after a fight, try taking one of his seminars for hours. You cannot help but love the guy. However I can understand Josh and wanting his down time; I would want it as well. Leave me a lone to put my thoughts together as I just lost the fight. I'll wish you well in the ring after the fight but leave me be; and possibly for days. Let me deal with my deflated ego will you?

I have to admit, I wanna see this fight. Will I pay for it if this is the main event? Fuck no. The afterfight hug is almost mandatory. The shit that personally pisses me off after a competition is too much talking to me from an opponent after a loss. Dude, you won, let's give each other a one armed hug and then go away.

A good example of this was the way GSP hounded Koscheck after the fight. Koscheck said that he just wanted the muherfucker to go away. He said that he was in his lockerroom after the loss and his people were like "Uh, GSP wants to come in and talk." Kos said he was pissed and didn't want to talk to him at all but he let him anyway. He said it was hard to be mad at him because he was so nice but in the end he really just wanted his privacy and downtime.

Exactly Dirk, the whole hugging this is bullshit.

We need a guy in mma like mike tyson, to just start pulling some crazy random shit, thats exactly what we need in the ufc. No hype or anything can compare to the mike Tyson days. I remember waiting for Tyson to fight, the electricity on that day was unreal. Anyone remember when he fought lewis, that pre fight anticipation was fucking unreal! And the great thing is you never knew what the hell was going to happen, thats what made it great. MMA guys need to stop hugging after the fight, its gay. They are going in there to rip each others heads off, this hugging thing needs to stop. Take a note from Mike tyson. UFC needs more guys like tyson and less like GSP.

Damn.....Evans went ragdoll limp. WHo will be the one to beat Machida?

I want to see him fight Anderson Silva.

Same here, I think Shogun will have to lose, anderson silva has to beat Forrest, then anderson will fight machida after machida beats rampage. Oh boi oh boi

Same here, I think Shogun will have to lose, anderson silva has to beat Forrest, then anderson will fight machida after machida beats rampage. Oh boi oh boi

thats pretty much what i think. be a big draw fight, anderson vs machida.

i suspect anderson will mulch forrest, if so, i'd expect to see anderson hold both belts sometime this year.

Dana put the most popular fighter (Forrest because of TUF) against Silva who has been extremely lackluster in his last 2 performances to get people interested. I'm not looking forward to that fight at all. My MMA brain tells me that Silva will win but I don't think Silva is gonna take him very serious and is always talking about retiring or boxing Roy Jones and he just seems uninterested. Maybe he's on that Paulo Filho stuff.

Back