Using a diabetic syringe with 5 mg/ml Arimidex

Zymurgist

I am banned!
Hopefully I can get some people to offer their experience to help answer this question. I have a 5 mg/ml solution of Arimidex and I have been taking .5 mg every third day as an AI. Why .5 mg every third day you ask?...well, because .5 mg EOD seemed a bit too much based on my research and I am using a standard syringe where dosing .25 mg would be difficult and more inaccurate than dosing .5 mg.

I have some diabetic syringes on hand, but was cautioned by an individual that due to the very small gauge of the needle, the suspended Arimidex may not be drawn effectively into the syringe. The result would be not actually getting much, if any, of the Arimidex in the syringe, only the suspension (which I believe is just ethyl alcohol??).

Now, this initially sounded like nonsense to me because if the Arimidex is dissolved in the solution the gauge of the needle wouldn't matter. However, if it is not dissolved, but rather suspended, maybe there would be something to this. And given that the amount of Arimidex in a dose is small to begin with, any loss of it in the dose would not be good.

So, it seems to depend on whether this is a solution of Arimidex, or a suspension of Arimidex - one is dissolved on the molecular level and one is suspended with larger particles....and I'm not entirely sure which one it is. The solution/suspension is very clear, though I can see small "strands" or "floaties" in the solution.

I would much prefer to use a diabetic syringe to dose the Arimidex as it would provide me with a more granular measurement and more accurate dosing. And it would allow me to dose it at .25 mg EOD if I choose.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated!

Why not use an oral (tuberculin) syringe? It's just as accurate, and you don't have to worry about loss of potency. I honestly don't know if a 31g needle would trap active ingredients, but I still prefer an open oral method.

My .02c :)

Why not use an oral (tuberculin) syringe? It's just as accurate, and you don't have to worry about loss of potency. I honestly don't know if a 31g needle would trap active ingredients, but I still prefer an open oral method.

My .02c :)

That would be ideal, but the solution is in a vial with a crimped on rubber stopper.

That would be ideal, but the solution is in a vial with a crimped on rubber stopper.

Oh, haven't seen that in awhile. I used to just use a 23g 5cc syringe to transfer the contents to a clean screw top bottle, but a slin pin should be OK. The floating objects are active ingredient that has just fallen out of solution, so I wouldn't worry about getting that stuff into the needle. Just be sure to shake before each use. :)

Oh, haven't seen that in awhile.
We do it old school around here...jk.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll probably eventually transfer some via 23g into a dropper bottle or something similar so I can use an oral syringe. I have 50 ml of 5 mg/ml of this stuff so it's not like I have to be too careful about any getting wasted.

We do it old school around here...jk.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll probably eventually transfer some via 23g into a dropper bottle or something similar so I can use an oral syringe. I have 50 ml of 5 mg/ml of this stuff so it's not like I have to be too careful about any getting wasted.

Yeah, I used to get my ancillaries like that when going through UGL sources. It just felt weird having to use a syringe for orally taken meds.

Back