Usp oils? Is it really needed?

Knot

SCAMMER - banned
Do you really need filtered usp grapeseed oil? Or can you just use regular grapseed oil? Won't it get filtered when you put it threw the .22 syringe filter?

In my experience non filtered USP oil gets more yield in a bottle top than store bought oils simply because it is a cleaner oil. There not expensive.

Grapeseed oil does not have a particularly long shelf life. 1 year is pushing it even in a cool dark environment. Who knows how long some of this usp grapeseed oil has been sitting around, at least i know supermarket is fresh. Plus it is the best oil for a cast iron pan.

That being said i have some 5 year old usp that seams fine, might have a bit of an off smell to it. New oil barely smells at all. It starts to get an old oil smell when it turns. Also my thinking is lighter color is better, less oxidation. So if you have a choice between brands look at the color and even more so expiry date.

Last edited:
I know people who buy gso off the store shelves, personally i buy pre filtered and U.S.P. Grade, then filter again, ive never had an absess but seen one, and imnot takin any chances. Even with all my precautions ,still only comes to 7.50$ a 10ml bottle and i know its safe, dosed properly, sterile etc.

I just buy GSO from the supermarket. Does anyone know which aisle the EO is in? Can't find it anywhere! :p

Meh, I've made and injected so much on store bought safflower and gso that it seems overrated to me. Cool for you guys who like usp but I've yet to hear of anyone getting an abscess from store bought oil filtered through .22um stericups or syringe filters.

I know people who buy gso off the store shelves, personally i buy pre filtered and U.S.P. Grade, then filter again, ive never had an absess but seen one, and imnot takin any chances. Even with all my precautions ,still only comes to 7.50$ a 10ml bottle and i know its safe, dosed properly, sterile

brew 400 ml at a time, it won't be soo cheap then lol

Chris is right. You're home brews are going to become less than feasible if you make the additional investment in USP grade oils. If you're making 20-30ml at a time maybe not, but I prefer to do 100ml at a time because of the effort I have to go to with syringe filtering. Once I get my bottle tops in I'll be doing 250ml at a time. At least this seems to be the average amount oen can filter through a .22 micron Whatman Zapcap.

Chris is right. You're home brews are going to become less than feasible if you make the additional investment in USP grade oils. If you're making 20-30ml at a time maybe not, but I prefer to do 100ml at a time because of the effort I have to go to with syringe filtering. Once I get my bottle tops in I'll be doing 250ml at a time. At least this seems to be the average amount oen can filter through a .22 micron Whatman Zapcap.

Can you email me at krypton24@live.com

Just go to your local grocery store and buy some cottonseed oil and be done with it. Shoot it through a sterile filter and you will be good to go.

Back