Weight loss, fat loss on TRT

itninja

Hi all, based on listening to bulletproof radio I decided to get my hormones in order before trying to lose weight (again). First, I had my testosterone checked and found it was very low. I've been on testosterone replacement therapy now for 6 weeks and I'm having a heck of a time losing weight. In actuality, I've lost maybe a pound, still at 240lbs. I'm 38 years old. My diet has been spot-on for about a month. About 80% Bulletproof and 95% paleo. Over the past week or two I've drastically reduced the amount of food I eat to probably about 1200 to 1500 calories per day and I'm still not losing weight. I've been testing for keytones over the past week (since I purchased the strips) and I'm in ketosis all the time. Last night I thought maybe I needed a little carb binge so I had about 4 cookies and some tortilla chips with guacamole - never left ketosis lol. Wth?

My question is what do think I may be doing wrong? I just got my thyroid checked and can post the results when I get in front of a computer. Do I need to add some Cytomel T3? I was too lose fat and keep it off.

1200-1500 calories isn't enough. Eat more. 500-700 under maintenance max.

When I went on trt I didn't lose any weight. However, my BF went down by 8-10% in 4 months. Don't worry about the scale- you'll be gaining muscle and that's heavier than fat.

Don't mess around with your thyroid levels now. Give TRT time.

What were test levels pre TRT? What is your current protocol? Any bloodwork on TRT as of yet?

Welcome.

Last edited:
1200-1500 calories isn't enough. Eat more. 500-700 under maintenance max.

When I went on trt I didn't lose any weight. However, my BF went down by 8-10% in 4 months. Don't worry about the scale- you'll be gaining muscle and that's heavier than fat.

Don't mess around with your thyroid levels now. Give TRT time.

What were test levels pre TRT? What is your current protocol? Any bloodwork on TRT as of yet?

Welcome.

Thanks for the advice. I'll move it back up to 2,000-2,500. I feel better with more food too. Total Testosterone was 174 before beginning. I started at a clinic which scheduled 300mg every 2 weeks. I went in early because i started feeling down and crappy around day 8-9 and received 3, 300mg shots 10 days apart. When I said I felt nipple sensitivity and bloated they just told me to come in every 3 weeks. Not good, so I found a new clinic that is sending me everything including Cyp, HCG and Arimidex so I can space doses how I want. I will do every 7 or 3.5 days so levels stay stable. I don't know what the new dosage will be yet but they said its max at first so I'm guessing probably about 150mg/wk. It will arrive in the mail next week. I happened to have Arimidex on-hand as I was just going to do all this myself before I found the clinic so I just took .25mg today. Hopefully that helps the sensitivity.

Thank you for the feedback. Its good to know you experienced fat loss without weight loss. I feel like that is happening to me right now.

For me weight loss has been slow but steady. I have been on TRT for over 3 years and have lost a little fat over that time, perhaps 6 to 8 pounds. But I am very different from you. I am 74 yo and now weigh about 143.

Body fat was maybe 16-17% when I started and is now about 12%. That doesn't sound like much difference, but the difference in my appearance is quite dramatic. My physique is the best it has ever been. Muscles show quite prominently and stomach is flat.

sounds like your first trt doc was an idiot.. 300mg every two weeks is horrible.. not only will it take your estrogen out of range (which is why you weren't losing weight, you were holding on to water) but its just a poor protocol..

try going 80mg twice a week run .25mg adex twice a week and 250iu hcg twice a week.. keep your cals at 2500 and keep trucking.. it should be a winning formula..

how tall are you?

It will eat your muscle no matter what you're on, and it doesn't work terribly well. I will never use it again.

Get you calories up like another person stated. I was severely overweight but was eating way too little and dropped 38lbs in 2 months. Now I'm stuck and have to get my calories back up

It will eat your muscle no matter what you're on, and it doesn't work terribly well. I will never use it again.

HUH?

Are you suggesting TRT eats your muscles? Do you understand what testosterone actually does within a male? It's anabolic which means a muscle growing environment, low testosterone equals catabolic... that's "muscle eating."

Thanks for the advice. I'll move it back up to 2,000-2,500. I feel better with more food too. Total Testosterone was 174 before beginning. I started at a clinic which scheduled 300mg every 2 weeks. I went in early because i started feeling down and crappy around day 8-9 and received 3, 300mg shots 10 days apart. When I said I felt nipple sensitivity and bloated they just told me to come in every 3 weeks. Not good, so I found a new clinic that is sending me everything including Cyp, HCG and Arimidex so I can space doses how I want. I will do every 7 or 3.5 days so levels stay stable. I don't know what the new dosage will be yet but they said its max at first so I'm guessing probably about 150mg/wk. It will arrive in the mail next week. I happened to have Arimidex on-hand as I was just going to do all this myself before I found the clinic so I just took .25mg today. Hopefully that helps the sensitivity.

Thank you for the feedback. Its good to know you experienced fat loss without weight loss. I feel like that is happening to me right now.

Wrong. I eat 500 cals a day when running a keto diet with MCT oil. The whole point is you getting the energy from fat. Try adding MCT oil with every meal. But be very careful to stay by a bathroom for the first 3 days till you body gets used to it. And keep extra pants and underware. Don't gamble on a fart you will piss out your ass every time till your stomach gets used to it. MCT oil is good for a pound and a half of fat loss a day when run propperly

Last edited:
Other thing to think about is that with TRT, until your body gets used to it, you might put on a bit of water weight.

Wrong. I eat 500 cals a day when running a keto diet with MCT oil. The whole point is you getting the energy from fat. Try adding MCT oil with every meal. But be very careful to stay by a bathroom for the first 3 days till you body gets used to it. And keep extra pants and underware. Don't gamble on a fart you will piss out your ass every time till your stomach gets used to it. MCT oil is good for a point and a half of fat loss a day when run propperly

Did you mean you'll lose a POUND and a half of fat a day on MCT oil? If not, what does a POINT and a half refer to?

Are you in the gym at all. Exercise can make a tremendous difference. Ive been on TRT for about 3 years. When I do cardio & eat good I feel the best. Try the 21 day fix diet. It has been on of the best things I have ever done.

Lol lose the mct oil. I'm pretty sure other people will chime in but you can't lose a pound in a half of fat a day. In your case it'll be some fat loss, some muscle loss, and water loss. At 500 calories a day you could be eating carbs all you want. You are way below what is deemed safe for weight loss. Unless you are an 80 year old female that's 5 foot and weighs 100lbs. That is seriously unsafe. If your maintenance calories was 3000 and you are only eating 500 you lost 3/4 of a pound anyway for a couple of days until your body adjusts. You can lose up to 8lbs of water weight in an intense workout. Don't make people unsafe.

cytomel was the answer for me

Hi all, based on listening to bulletproof radio I decided to get my hormones in order before trying to lose weight (again). First, I had my testosterone checked and found it was very low. I've been on testosterone replacement therapy now for 6 weeks and I'm having a heck of a time losing weight. In actuality, I've lost maybe a pound, still at 240lbs. I'm 38 years old. My diet has been spot-on for about a month. About 80% Bulletproof and 95% paleo. Over the past week or two I've drastically reduced the amount of food I eat to probably about 1200 to 1500 calories per day and I'm still not losing weight. I've been testing for keytones over the past week (since I purchased the strips) and I'm in ketosis all the time. Last night I thought maybe I needed a little carb binge so I had about 4 cookies and some tortilla chips with guacamole - never left ketosis lol. Wth?

My question is what do think I may be doing wrong? I just got my thyroid checked and can post the results when I get in front of a computer. Do I need to add some Cytomel T3? I was too lose fat and keep it off.

your scenario closely parallels what i have been dealing with for over a year. From January 28, 2016 until November 28th, my weight went from 198 to 246 per records i am referencing from my GP.

I have hypothyroidism (for last 3 years) and initially responded to synthroid quite well. I realized something wasn't right almost around Christmas 2015, hence, i scheduled an appointment with my GP.

As usual he only tested tsh, despite my suggestion to do a complete thyroid panel upon seeing the lab order only indicating a blood draw for tsh levels. Fast forward to follow up visit and my tsh level was 9.2, his response: increase synthroid 50 mcg with no additional thyroid testing.

It wasn't until late September he agreed to expand blood test to include free t4. Again, i asked him why he was not doing a complete thyroid panel (to include specifically free t3) and he became agitated reminding me he was the one who was the dr.

Early November at my next appointment, free t4 was toward upper level and his response was to restrict calories. I informed him i was already doing so (roughly 1600 calories per day consistently) yet still gaining weight. Obviously, he didn't believe me because his response was to prescribe phentermine.

At that point, i decided to change GP. Immediately after leaving his office, I started my search for another GP and found one who would see me on November 28th.

After brief discussion at my initial appointment with new GP, he ordered complete thyroid panel. Two days later I receive call from his office to come in next day to discuss my lab results.

Lab test results: everything within range with the exception of reverse t3 and free t3. Free t3 was 1.3 and reverse t3 was 13.8. Bodyweight

GP immediately suggested terminating synthoid usage and commencing with cytomel at 50 mcg.

Not sure if it was a placebo effect or what, but i remember at the end of day 4 things had almost turned 180-degrees after just that short of a time period. In fact, I went to the gym that night and signed up for a year membership and have been everyday since.

This Monday, December 26th, I went for follow up to GP. Not only did i feel amazing, but my bodyweight was down to 229 pounds (with essentially same type clothing, shoes as from prior appointment when i weighed 246).

I realize everyone is different, but i thought it was necessary to share my results based on the similarity of your post and my experience.

your scenario closely parallels what i have been dealing with for over a year. From January 28, 2016 until November 28th, my weight went from 198 to 246 per records i am referencing from my GP.

I have hypothyroidism (for last 3 years) and initially responded to synthroid quite well. I realized something wasn't right almost around Christmas 2015, hence, i scheduled an appointment with my GP.

As usual he only tested tsh, despite my suggestion to do a complete thyroid panel upon seeing the lab order only indicating a blood draw for tsh levels. Fast forward to follow up visit and my tsh level was 9.2, his response: increase synthroid 50 mcg with no additional thyroid testing.

It wasn't until late September he agreed to expand blood test to include free t4. Again, i asked him why he was not doing a complete thyroid panel (to include specifically free t3) and he became agitated reminding me he was the one who was the dr.

Early November at my next appointment, free t4 was toward upper level and his response was to restrict calories. I informed him i was already doing so (roughly 1600 calories per day consistently) yet still gaining weight. Obviously, he didn't believe me because his response was to prescribe phentermine.

At that point, i decided to change GP. Immediately after leaving his office, I started my search for another GP and found one who would see me on November 28th.

After brief discussion at my initial appointment with new GP, he ordered complete thyroid panel. Two days later I receive call from his office to come in next day to discuss my lab results.

Lab test results: everything within range with the exception of reverse t3 and free t3. Free t3 was 1.3 and reverse t3 was 13.8. Bodyweight

GP immediately suggested terminating synthoid usage and commencing with cytomel at 50 mcg.

Not sure if it was a placebo effect or what, but i remember at the end of day 4 things had almost turned 180-degrees after just that short of a time period. In fact, I went to the gym that night and signed up for a year membership and have been everyday since.

This Monday, December 26th, I went for follow up to GP. Not only did i feel amazing, but my bodyweight was down to 229 pounds (with essentially same type clothing, shoes as from prior appointment when i weighed 246).

I realize everyone is different, but i thought it was necessary to share my results based on the similarity of your post and my experience.

Welcome to the boards and thanks for sharing :)

Back