What about Milk?Bulking and when Dieting?

saint1

Just trying to figure out if I need to cut my milk out . I usually slam a protein bar and 2 cups of milk for 48gm of protein as a in between meal. It's hard to eat enough protein without drinking a couple of shakes a day(I really don't like protein shakes) trying 300-350 pro. per day. I drink milk usually 2-3 times a day 2% or low fat.

I drink alot of milk when I'm bulking but cut it out when cutting. I don't know of any scientific reasons for cutting the milk but for me it was a way to add calories easily when bulking and dropping when cutting.

yup just drop the milk when you cut. nothing wrong with milk and you're going with the 2% and low fat so even better......

I use skim milk when cutting and it is actually part of 3 of my 6 meals. The only difference compared to bulking is that I use less Skim milk in my protein shakes when cutting. As long as you have the cals and carbs of the milk measured and budgeted into your diet, you should be alright.

But I will admit I dont know many pro's that drink milk when cutting. So to each is own I guess.

Last edited:
lol, it was a joke, but you can use eggwhites. seriously, they taste fine, actually no taste, and gives a good amino acid profile when mixed with whey

Milk is insulinotrophic, it has a low GI but causes a high insulin release.
Don't drink it after a meal which contained plenty of carbs, even if they're are low GI.
I would drop it when cutting.

I've posted this on another board:

Eur J Clin Nutr 2001 Nov;55(11):994-9 Related Articles, Links

Milk as a supplement to mixed meals may elevate postprandial insulinaemia.

Liljeberg Elmstahl H, Bjorck I.

Department of Applied Nutrition and Food Chemistry, Center for Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, Lund University, PO Box 124, SE-221 00 Lund, Sweden. Helena.Elmstahl@inl.lth.se

OBJECTIVE: The objective was to evaluate the impact of milk added to a high-glycaemic index (GI) white bread meal vs a low-GI spaghetti meal, respectively, on postprandial glucose and insulin responses in healthy subjects. DESIGN: The volunteers were served the bread or spaghetti meals with either milk (200 or 400 ml, respectively) or water (400 ml) following an overnight fast. Capillary blood samples were collected before and during 3 h after the meals. SETTING: The study was performed at the Department of Applied Nutrition and Food Chemistry, Lund University, Sweden. SUBJECTS: Ten healthy volunteers, seven men and three women, aged 22-30 y, with normal body mass indices, were recruited. RESULTS: There was no difference in postprandial glucose area under curve (AUC) with and without added milk in the case of the high-GI bread meals. As could be expected, glucose AUC after the bread meal+water was higher than after the spaghetti meal+water. Milk added at 200 or 400 ml to the spaghetti meal did not affect glucose AUC. However, a significantly higher insulin AUC was seen with the bread meal with 400 ml milk (+65%) and the spaghetti meal with 200 ml or 400 ml milk (+300%), respectively, compared with corresponding test meal with water CONCLUSIONS: The addition of milk to a low-GI spaghetti meal may significantly increase the postprandial insulinaemia. Even an ordinary amount of milk (200 ml) increased the insulin AUC to a low-GI spaghetti meal to the same level as seen with white bread. The mechanism for the insulinotrophic effect of milk is not known, and the potential long-term metabolic consequences need to be elucidated. SPONSORSHIP: Swedish Dairy Association.

from: http://www.prescription2000.com/cpnews/feb2002sample.txt

..."The GI concept was originally developed to classify
carbohydrate rich foods and for this type of food there is a good correlation between GI and insulinemic index (Bjorck et al, Br J Nutr 2000:83;S149-S155). Since milk products can not be considered as carbohydrate rich, they might not be appropriate to apply the
GI-concept on but, never the less, the low GI features of milk are well known..."

Br J Nutr 2000 Mar;83 Suppl 1:S149-55 Related Articles, Links

Low glycaemic-index foods.

Bjorck I, Liljeberg H, Ostman E.

Department of Applied Nutrition and Food Chemistry, Lund University, Sweden. Inger.bjorck@inl.lth.se

Accumulating data indicate that a diet characterized by low glycaemic-index (GI) foods not only improves certain metabolic ramifications of insulin resistance, but also reduces insulin resistance per se. Epidemiological data also suggest a protective role against development of non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus and cardiovascular disease. A major disadvantage in this connection is the shortage of low-GI foods, and many common starchy staple foods, such as bread products, breakfast cereals and potato products, have a high GI. Studies in our laboratory show that it is possible to significantly lower the GI of starchy foods, for example by choice of raw material and/or by optimizing the processing conditions. Such low-GI foods may or may not influence glucose tolerance at a subsequent meal. Consequently, certain low-GI breakfasts capable of maintaining a net increment in blood glucose and insulin at the time of the next meal significantly reduced post-prandial glycaemia and insulinaemia following a standardized lunch meal, whereas others had no 'second-meal' impact. These results imply that certain low-GI foods may be more efficient in modulating metabolism in the long term. Although the literature supports a linear correlation between the GI and insulinaemic index (II) of foods, this is not always the case. Consequently, milk products elicited elevated IIs, indistinguishable from a white bread reference meal, despite GIs in the lower range. This inconsistent behaviour of milk products has not been acknowledged, and potential metabolic consequences remain to be elucidated.

bro that was an excellent post,I have never read that before.Now I dont know what the hell to eat my cereal with!!?

f.

I cut out pretty much all dairy when I'm cutting. If you're just trying to lean out for personal reasons, then you could probably use skim milk but for competition, I would definitely cut the dairy out.;)

force said:
including cottage cheese and no-fat yogurt?? that sucks.

F.

Yep, including cottage cheesa and yougurt! No Dairy...hehehe....yah, kinda sucks but it's a sacrifice that I feel makes a big difference.

How far out should I cut dairy when getting ready for a show. I am pretty lean and can be in comp. condition in 10 weeks . Would it be safe to say last 8 weeks no dairy? I am 15 weeks out now and really only drink skim milk1-2 times a day?

I would stay away from dairy, I cut it out for 10 weeks and see amazing results on just cutting that out. Good luck, it sucks but got todo what you gotta do

hhajdo - How many carbs where consumed for that test aside from the natural sugars in the milk?

Do you think that the overnight fast also contributed to the large spike in relation to the sudden onslaught of simple/complex carbs in general?

Back