What do you mainly eat for carbs?

Oh, and Karbolic post-workout with my isolate shake. But that's only 1 scoop (50g) on lifting days only; so not much lol.

Call me old school, but I say it does matter...for a few reasons.
1. I know many carbs aren't vastly different on the GI (white vs. brown rice). But you also have to remember that you are consuming these carbs sometimes 6-7 times a day...which can add up quickly over a month or more.
2.Taste - white potatoes, white bread, pasta, etc. taste a hell of a lot better than sweet potatoes or plain oatmeal. Taste itself is not an issue, but when something tastes amazing, people tend to have a harder time limiting it. You tell someone to eat 8 oz. of sweet potatoes/day and after a week they'll be barely choking it down. Tell someone to eat 4 slices of white bread, all of the sudden that 4 turns into 5, with butter, jelly or whatever.
3. I have personally seen a difference in my dieting progresses when comparing white to sweet potatoes. This is ME, this doesn't necessarily hold true for everyone.
4. It takes time to prepare whole, clean food versus grabbing a couple slices from a loaf. I believe the more time someone puts into to something, the more seriously they take it making it more likely they will adhere to their plan. It makes eating a priority. Eating processed, easy cheap foods doesn't come with the same discipline and when they are keeled over in hunger, with an easy attitude they'll just pick up a sandwich from Subway or something.
5. I think that sources/qualities of foods really do matter in composition or at least someone's progress with a diet, beyond just simple macros. Consider two individuals with the same macros. One eats solely protein bars, the other eats whole, clean foods. I bet my life that after 4 months they will have drastically different results, even though their macros were the same.

Just my opinion, but what do I know.

I believe that the human body is incredibly adaptable and will adapt to the type of diet you give it. I for one have always eaten clean (bland) foods and my taste-buds have adapted to that to the point where I have practically zero sweet tooth. Foods that others find bland and tasteless seem to have so much more flavour to me because my taste-buds are so much more sensitive as they haven't been bombarded and desensitized by loads of sugar and processed chemicals. Now when I go out to a restaurant it's like a flavour overload and often times foods are too strong/sweet.

Call me old school, but I say it does matter...for a few reasons.
1. I know many carbs aren't vastly different on the GI (white vs. brown rice). But you also have to remember that you are consuming these carbs sometimes 6-7 times a day...which can add up quickly over a month or more.
2.Taste - white potatoes, white bread, pasta, etc. taste a hell of a lot better than sweet potatoes or plain oatmeal. Taste itself is not an issue, but when something tastes amazing, people tend to have a harder time limiting it. You tell someone to eat 8 oz. of sweet potatoes/day and after a week they'll be barely choking it down. Tell someone to eat 4 slices of white bread, all of the sudden that 4 turns into 5, with butter, jelly or whatever.
5. I think that sources/qualities of foods really do matter in composition or at least someone's progress with a diet, beyond just simple macros. Consider two individuals with the same macros. One eats solely protein bars, the other eats whole, clean foods. I bet my life that after 4 months they will have drastically different results, even though their macros were the same.

Just my opinion, but what do I know.

A couple of interesting things to note:

1) GI becomes close to irrelevant if you eat like a nornal person, ie mixed meals involving all 3 macros. Not to mention the fact that insulin sensitivity rapidly improves as you lose fat, reducing the likelihood of crashing after certain carbs.

2) This is mostly a psychological point, which does play a part in dieting but can also be trained. IME once people fall into the habit of counting calories & macros, they tend to stick to it better in the long term if what they're consuming actually makes them happy. On the other hand, I would say 90% of people that follow diets involving foods they usually never eat end up back at square one over the long term - statistics on dieting back me up on this.
Basically its an issue of changing long term habits - people tend to eat clean because its a "diet" rather than attempting to changing long term eating habits.

5) i have tried a similar experiment with protein shakes vs whole foods on myself and a few guinea pigs several times & can confirm the differencd to be minimal. We're talking 1%bf of difference here.
The main reason for the difference is a lower level of caloric expenditure due to less digestion requirements for shakes but again - minimal impact.

I believe that the human body is incredibly adaptable and will adapt to the type of diet you give it. I for one have always eaten clean (bland) foods and my taste-buds have adapted to that to the point where I have practically zero sweet tooth. Foods that others find bland and tasteless seem to have so much more flavour to me because my taste-buds are so much more sensitive as they haven't been bombarded and desensitized by loads of sugar and processed chemicals. Now when I go out to a restaurant it's like a flavour overload and often times foods are too strong/sweet.

100% agree with this.

Its about building habits, which do take a month or two to really kick in. This is why its important to start slow when trying to change someone's long term eating ritual.
For example if I have a client who wants to start eating healthy, I would start with a simple step like having some veggies at every meal, then progress to healthier forms of protein (not too many fatty steaks, etc), then healthier dessert, etc.
If you suddenly change everything someone eats, it does nothing for the long term. Again, this is based on my own experience & statistics on dieting failure.

Last edited:
Back