What exactly does being hungry mean?

Miss Muscle

That we are lacking some sort of macro or nutrient? I thought that if you are hungry it is your bodies way of telling you that you NEED food.

Isn't dieting down technically dangerous then?

how far spaced are your meals?
depending on what your eating and how far apart there spaced you may be processing your food faster than you feeding your body. meaning you have voids of emptyness and your body is saying its hungry in responce.

maybe?

If you have dropped your caloric intake significantly in a short period of time you will most likely feel hungry, though you wouldn't be putting yourself in danger. If you've planned your diet and your getting in enough protein/carbs/fats then I would say your safe. If I feel hungry I'll just eat veggies (as they are mostly free meals) but they don't tie you over for long...

outlawtas2 said:
If you have dropped your caloric intake significantly in a short period of time you will most likely feel hungry, though you wouldn't be putting yourself in danger. If you've planned your diet and your getting in enough protein/carbs/fats then I would say your safe. If I feel hungry I'll just eat veggies (as they are mostly free meals) but they don't tie you over for long...
But I'm always hungry and I'm bulking!!!!! I'm worried about getting fat.

This is why I want to know what getting hungry means.

When you are hungry your hypothalamus releases a chemical into your brain called NPY which basically makes you feel unsatisfied or hungry... Say like you eat a slice of pizza the nutrients in their should fill you up yet it doesnt and 10 minutes later your going back for more that is because of NPY.. on the flip side of that if you eat a well balanced meal in complex carbs and lean protein with adequate calories your hypothalamus will release another chemical called leptin which makes your feel full and satisfied.

Ways to tweak it so your mind is satisfied as well as your body are drinking water when you are hungry as this will help you release leptin... eating peanuts or almonds(unsalted) before a meal so you already feel satisfied before you start to eat whatever nasty meal your eating... and last but not least make sure all your meals have decent dietary fiber... 30-50g a day is what it takes... this will slow down the food going through your intestine to make your hypothalamus produce leptin and keep you satisfied.

I learned that from the YOU on a diet book!

rookie03 said:
When you are hungry your hypothalamus releases a chemical into your brain called NPY which basically makes you feel unsatisfied or hungry... Say like you eat a slice of pizza the nutrients in their should fill you up yet it doesnt and 10 minutes later your going back for more that is because of NPY.. on the flip side of that if you eat a well balanced meal in complex carbs and lean protein with adequate calories your hypothalamus will release another chemical called leptin which makes your feel full and satisfied.

Ways to tweak it so your mind is satisfied as well as your body are drinking water when you are hungry as this will help you release leptin... eating peanuts or almonds(unsalted) before a meal so you already feel satisfied before you start to eat whatever nasty meal your eating... and last but not least make sure all your meals have decent dietary fiber... 30-50g a day is what it takes... this will slow down the food going through your intestine to make your hypothalamus produce leptin and keep you satisfied.

I learned that from the YOU on a diet book!

Is there something specific in almonds that's quells hunger ( apart from protein of course ) I recently added almonds into my diet and fugg me my appetite was none existent...and not in a good way as I found it hard to eat.

Miss Muscle said:

That we are lacking some sort of macro or nutrient? I thought that if you are hungry it is your bodies way of telling you that you NEED food.

Isn't dieting down technically dangerous then?

Good question.

Lucky13 said:
Is there something specific in almonds that's quells hunger ( apart from protein of course ) I recently added almonds into my diet and fugg me my appetite was none existent...and not in a good way as I found it hard to eat.
FAT

well I guess that's good news for me then 'cuz I LOVE almonds... and now to get the rest of the diet on track... :(

I'm 6' 197 and recovering from back surgery. I am ok to be in the gym now and am there 4-5 times a week working out till failure and I am working on my flexibility and cardio as they are WAY BADafter so long of being laid up.

I eat 5-6 times a day and frequently feel hungry. I eat a bowl of oatmeal or cereal (cheerios or similar) or maybe two for breakfast. A shake of muscle milk or cytogainer and a light snack for #2 usually a sandwich and some kind of side for #3, snack and shake for #4 and rice, meat, and veggies for #5 and if I worked out that day I will use a shake for my #6 and maybe a snack with it... no food 2 hours before bedtime unles I'm starving.

I am trying to bulk up sme and gain mass. I would ideally end up at ~220-230 and so Iknow I need t oovershoot so I can cut down to the correct LBM% so I look good... is this an o.k. bulking diet?

ok meal 4 should be eatin 4 times a day, and replace meal 1 with 8 egg whites and 2 yolks and a bowl of oatmeal and then if you want to add shakes in between those meals than give it a shot.

Back