What is the Best Cardio, HIIT or Long and Steady?

In my opinion hiit will always get you more results. Limit cardio to less than 45 minutes to retain muscle mass if that's you desire. Using hiit in that time will get better results than slow and steady.

I think a best way would be a combo of both....on one day do the HIT and the other day, long and steady...I get very good results with the combo and I don't get burned out on either one. You could mix up like this also...1 week of HIT and 1 week of long and steady....

In my opinion hiit will always get you more results. Limit cardio to less than 45 minutes to retain muscle mass if that's you desire. Using hiit in that time will get better results than slow and steady.

The science behind catabolism is a little more complex than that. There are numerous factors that come into play regarding LISS and catabolism, but the bottom line is you don't really burn that many amino acids (proteins) during cardio even if you're doing everything wrong.

According to Lyle McDonald's writings here:
Generally speaking this is fairly specific to endurance training where ~5-10% of the total energy requirements of exercise can be from the burning of amino acids. Specifically, the branched chain amino acids, and especially leucine, can be used directly for energy by exercising muscle.

And it's also important to note that milk protein (whey, casein) has one of the highest BCAA concentrations of all protein sources. From the same article:
10-12 grams of whey protein which will provide 3-4 grams of BCAA

IIRC whey protein is like ~25% BCAA.

Later in the article, he says something like this:
. . . As noted above, BCAA can be burned in skeletal muscle directly (and this increases when glycogen has been depleted) . . .

Which more or less indicates whey protein (or just straight BCAAs) may be beneficial on ketogenic diets.

I hate long slow steady cardio, but I do end up doing it sometimes if Im too tired to giver.

as a former Long distance runner, I would indefinitely say long steady runs build the best cardio. Retaining muscle mass though? after about 45 minutes, you'll need to eat something light if you are going to continue. after an hour your body starts to lay new capillary beds = long term cardio benefits. HIT is a different game. It will give you cardio, too. However, It will take longer, and without proper base training and workout routines you risk burning yourself out. I support both. combo would be good.

as a former Long distance runner, I would indefinitely say long steady runs build the best cardio. Retaining muscle mass though? after about 45 minutes, you'll need to eat something light if you are going to continue. after an hour your body starts to lay new capillary beds = long term cardio benefits. HIT is a different game. It will give you cardio, too. However, It will take longer, and without proper base training and workout routines you risk burning yourself out. I support both. combo would be good.

Considering the nature of this particular forum I think the underlying idea of members seeking advice here has some sort of relation to muscle. Either adding more of it (refer to the name of this forum for confirmation of this statement), or they're attempting to retain what they already have.

Without question would long steady runs build up one's cardio...but again, I have a sneaking suspicion that not too many people here care all that much about building their cardio.

So I guess I'm not too sure why you chimed in? Folks here are not looking to "combo" anything. Their looking soley to retain or gain muscle. Not too many people here are former LDR's as those folks, such as yourself, usually don't venture to the dark side...

OP is probably long gone by now, but for the record HIIT and LISS both have their benefits for lipolysis, but it seems that HIIT works faster when done properly. *** Long steady runs = unquestionably catabolic

Last edited:
HIIT or sprints improve anaerobic capabilities.Basically, HIIT drills are ideal for people looking to improve their athletic performance such as speed.The difference between jogging and sprinting that leads to a slower, steadier pace being better for cardiovascular fitness has to do with the way that your muscles turn fats and carbohydrates into energy.

Back