what is the best routine to put on mass?

bentley1

i am 20, and no i am not taking steroids, i am using this website to better educate myself because i got suspended on bodybuilding.com for even mentioning a steroid. my mistake. now this topic to me is very frustrating because everyone says something different, to put on mass, which routine is best? right now (from what i was told is best) i am doing a 4 day split, upper monday, lower tuesday, wednesday off, upper thursday, lower friday. this workout is what i am following to be exact.
decline barbell press-8-10 reps-4 sets
flat dumbell flys-10-12 reps-3 sets
barbell rows-8-10 reps-4 sets
behind neck pull downs-8-10 reps-3 sets
standing barbell curls-8-10 reps-3 sets
concentration curls-10-12 reps-3 sets
crunches and hanging leg raises. 15-20 reps 3 sets

lower
squats--8-10 reps-4 sets
sissy squats-12-15 reps-3 sets
lying leg curls-12-15 reps-4 sets
calf raises standing-15-20 reps-3 sets
front military presses-10-12 reps-4 sets
lateral raises-10-12 reps-3 sets
smith machine shrugs-12-15 reps-3 sets
lying triceps extensions-10-12 reps-4 sets
pushdowns-10-12 reps-3 sets

what do you think? any changes i should make? plus if it is no good for building mass can you suggest a routine or where to look to find a good routine??

You are missing Deadlifts. And why are you doing upper body work on Lower days? Just do more Squats and Deadlifts on the Lower days. Add triceps to Upper days. Move core work to Lower days.

Day 1 - Squats 5x5

3 days later - Straight bar flat Benchpress 5x5

3 days later - Deadlift 5x5

3 days later - Squats 5x5

So on and So forth :)

^^ sounds like a good way to add some strength.. but OP , if by 'mass' you mean 'hypertrophy' , i.e., stimulating the muscle and engorging it to put on size and volume 'mass' , then I'd stick to more of a 'hypertrophy' based training routine (though I do believe strength based movements should be added in on occasion , as they will help, a stronger muscle can become a bigger muscle, but don't make a strength routine the basis, imo)

squats
Deads
pull ups
bench
overhead press

whatever split you work out, I don't even care if you're a functional fitness junkie, those big 5 need to be hit once weekly with a force and legit output. you want to get mass, seriously? get a lifting partner who can help you push heavier weight overhead, also while benching, and spot you on heavy as hell squats.
and eat. eat the food. sleep. sleep the night away. and do all this consistently.
you're 20, so calories for mass is going to be critical for you.

so for gaining mass, that's about 80% of it, IMO.
the rest is detail.

oh, and watch the running and crap like that which burns it all up. you can condition yourself just fine with weights. you start pressing heavy (or heavier), believe me, your heart will be working and you're going to build ATP for fitness.

lastly, if you can afford it, hire a strength training who knows what they're doing. not some person that looks the part. find a person who really knows what the hell they're doing and has been training others for over 10 years. this investment will build up your experience, and pay you dividends over your lifetime.

there is a season for everything. a season to build, a season to cut, a season to be unsure, and a season to experiment on whatever idea comes to mind. love it all, enjoy yourself!

I use my week in terms of 10 days.
back
chest
legs
shoulders
cardio
back
chest
legs
full body
cardio

Last edited:
Listen if it is MASS you want to build you are doing it all wrong. First do yourself some good and Google information concerning overload training FOR MASS.

In short basic exercises, 4,6,8 reps to max overload where you can do another rep. Three major exercises and 9 working sets total. That's the basics. Once you know what is working good for you can do maybe a little more.

After one or two warm ups got to a max of 8 rep set. AT 8 reps you cannot possibly do another rep and that's failure. Next working #2 set 6 to complete failure #3 working set 4-6 the same and that's three working sets. If you really want you can add a forth. Doing a last set to rep out more than 8,10,12 reps will just fatigue the muscle and is not Building Mass.

Do the same for two (2) more exercises for that muscle and you are done. If you are not done by then then you have not worked hard enough. Now this is the basic theory for building mass.

Usually to work this hard at your age you will need a partner and or a spotter with your workouts. There is a time and reason for doing more reps but not for the PURPOSE of building Mass as efficiently as possible.

All this business of doing several different exercises and working down and back up and even super sets in the beginning phase of mass building it is not needed and only serves a an intensity for fatigue and pump.

I believe in this training. It has worked for me and people I've trained long ago and has been studied by many.
My 2 cents

OH PS: this type of routine should be done in 6-8 week intervals. I like 8 and it is tough. Then a routine changer a little lighter and a few more reps 8-12.

SO whatever exercises you all decide for overall size this is how I would train whatever your doing.

Last edited:
Back