what would you do?

Jusee

Guys, honestly what would you do?

At my gym there are 2 bench presses, one of which is better. This 45 year old guy uses this bench press for 25 minutes at a time doing curls on it, and in between curls, he does bench presses with 225lbs for 4 reps every set. He keeps doing this for 25 minutes. Every time I see him in there, weather I am doing legs or chest or whatever, he is doing this crap with the same ammount of reps, on the same bench! What would you do if you wanted to do bench press but had to wait like 20 minutes watching this crap go on?

You know sitting around in a gym for 20 minutes is a waste of useful time. You cant even work in with the fucker because he needs it to do curls between the retarded bench presses.

What do I do? For real guys, tell me what to do.

Last edited:
Just say I am going to work in with you. If he is a jerk he may give you a hard time but most likely he is just oblivious to gym etiquette.

Yea with only two benches, people should be expected to share. He probably wouldn't have a problem with you working in.

bend him over and skullfuck him. thats what everybody here would do. and then post pics im sure.

but all bullshit aside i hate when people do that. . . but most of the time if you just ask to workin their not gonna refuse to let u.

This guy sweats like no other. He would need to spray and wipe it down between every set, and he does NON STOP sets! How can you work in with that? I dont think you would even want to. This must be against the rules. You cant hog a picece of gym equipment for 25 minutes without letting people at least work in can you?

Last edited:
Can you find another gym. I would think you could find a place that was more worth your money that would have more than 2 benches.

If you are bigger than him give him a good lecturing, some people just do not get it. Get the owner to put up a sign with gym etiquette rules. I am lucky our gym is almost all hardcore lifters who have a sense of how to behave in the weight room, the few high school football players are quickly educated or are booted out. When my brother and I train we are so intense that most people get out of our way without us having assert ourselves. Beat him at his own game if he still doesn't get it. We had these two "circuit trainers" who needed every piece of equipment for their marathon routine--a bunch of us basically told them to make a lot of money and buy their own gym because their style of training was annoying. They joined the 24 hour fitness the next day.

02gixxersix said:
Can you find another gym. I would think you could find a place that was more worth your money that would have more than 2 benches.

I would not leave this gym. There are alot of others, but this one is the best. Its not one of the new big ones but it has everything. It actually has a couple things that I use that other gyms dont have.

huskyguy said:
I am lucky our gym is almost all hardcore lifters who have a sense of how to behave in the weight room

Man that is exactly how my gym is I swear to you Huskeyguy.! He reps 225 for 4 reps, my sister is bigger. This guy does not respond like normal people. He thinks he owns the place even when the big guys are there. He is older like 45 maybe. A power lifter 5'10 290lbs was laughing and yelling one day hinting to this guy that he is a moron and basicly to go home making some of us laugh, and the guy kept doing his bicep and bench shit and did not move.

I want to know what I can do without beating him up because anyone can do that.

just be straight up with the guy...tell him his routine is bogus and you'll help put one together for him if he wants. Tell him that you train very seriously and he interferes when doing this routine that's getting no gains.

I got something like this today...in my gym we have 4 flat benches. All of them were taken...the last one was a skinny couple doing a fucking ab workout when there was plenty of other free benches they could have used. I felt like knocking them both out.

I will just speak with the manager and explain that he is hogging the bench for 25 minutes at a time and does not allow other members to work in with him between sets. They will straighten it out I guess. Im really not going resort to beating his useless ass.

Oh the problems of gyms. LOL! I have never seen anything like this guy before. Unreal.

Maybe I will change gyms. There are 2 other gyms Near my house that are brand new and huge. Probably worth it.

Thanks everyone. ;)

Give the man a break. He's entitled to work out any way he wants.

If he's going to be on a piece of equipment for such a long time he's got to play by the rules too and expect to compromise.

225 is not so bad... or have I just left myself open for a seroius flogging? He's over 45, and he's still working out and pretty regularly. Hat's off to the man, he's in the minority.

If he's sweating like a pig he ought do right by other gym users and clean up after himself.

If you are benching as your first exercise I would just wait for the equipment to be free. I always pace around the thing to make sure that the person knows I'm waiting for them to finish up and they usually speed up a bit but unless you are in a huge rush I wouldn't sweat it.

I think your first move is to talk to the guy directly. Maybe on your chest day you could ask him if he could do his curls on another piece of equipment so you could get your work in.

The fact that this bothers you even on your leg day tells me that you are taking this a little too personal. Let just a little bit of that go.

Now honestly....if the manager came over to you and told you that someone was complaining about something you did, wouldn't you wonder why the person couldn't talk to you????

Take the personal route first and talk to the guy, and if that doesn't work, then lodge a complaint.

work in w/him. wipe the bench off w/a towel a couple of times and he'll get the idea, no need to be a jerk. a little sweat aint gonna kill ya anyway.

Assylum said:
I think your first move is to talk to the guy directly. Maybe on your chest day you could ask him if he could do his curls on another piece of equipment so you could get your work in.

there is your best advice right there

Back