whey Protein Powder

Hogs106

Is it pointless to take protein if a person isn't lifting and trying to gain weight? A friend of mine takes it and doesnt workout at all. Is this pointless? Any information would be helpful.

Well, I'm a newb, but since nobody else is answering, here's my guess.

The answer depends. If your friend takes the powder on top of what he's already eating, he will only gain fat if he's not working out. The excess calories have to be allocated somehow, and if the muscles don't have use for 'em, they'll be stored otherwise.

If he takes the powder but removes some fat and carbs from his diet, he's likely to lose some fat and gain some muscle. But it's not gonna be great muscle, and it's not gonna be any overall weight gain.

Basically, this isn't gonna do, significantly, jack shit for your friend. He'll have to use those muscles, or they won't have any need to take in any more calories to be converted to muscle mass.

Last edited:
not pointless, your body needs protein regardless of whether you train or not. protein powder is no different than dietary protein from milk, eggs, chicken, whatever. (yes, technically it is, but on a macronutrional level - its not). So it really doesnt make any difference whether hes eating a chicken breast or drinking a protein shake.

If hes using powder in hopes on changing his body composition, then yes, it is pointless.

Back