Your chest will never grow

http://www.angelfire.com/tx/APATX/ar...nch_Press.html
The sternocostal head of the pectoralis major is little affected by hand spacing, but is directly affected by trunk inclination. The greater the inclination, the less the activation. There is also a slightly greater activation of this muscle with a wider hand spacing, due, in general, to the fact that with a wider grip, the elbows tend to move away from the midline of the body, which increases the degree of horizontal flexion of the humerus.

The clavicular head of the pectoralis major is affected by both hand spacing as well as trunk inclination. The narrower the grip, the greater the activation, as well as the greater the inclination, the greater the activation. There are several factors for this, including the fact that vertical bar displacement is greatest during an incline press. This is also due to the fact that the clavicular head is involved in horizontal flexion and adduction in addition to pure flexion. The clavicular head will maintain its function as a flexor of the glenohumeral joint until humerus moves above the horizontal position. This is why it is rather inactive when the torso is vertical, as little flexion is occurring.

http://www.discussfitness.com/forums...ion-18818.html

The Clavicular Head
Now we all know that the incline bench hits the upper pecs. Right? Since the upper pecs seem to help to raise the arm, this would make sense. The incline position would put the arm in more of a flexed position than either the flat or decline positions. According to EMG studies this advice seems to be pretty much true. The Barnett study tells us that the incline position produces just slightly more electrical energy in the upper pecs that either the flat or decline positions. However, the flat bench was found to be very close. While the difference between the two was considered insignificant, the slight advantage of the incline over the flat bench in upper pec activation may be just what some of us need to further develop the upper pecs. "This is all very true," says Robinson. "There is no doubt the incline bench hits the pecs more than the flat bench."

http://www.freedomfly.net/musclegroups/chest.htm
http://www.shapefit.com/chest-exerci...dium-grip.html
http://www.drpribut.com/sports/strengthexercises.html
http://www.looksmartfood.com/p/artic...65/ai_n6116962
http://www.physiquecompetitor.com/ar...veTraining.htm

Last edited:
inked1 said:
find me some one benching 400+ with a small chest
my friend he is 6ft 260lbs does 405lbs has no chest in fact he has too much fat around his chest he just cant feel his chest he told me one day, but he does have big arms they are 19inches big guy for damn sure, but no chest.

thefantom1 said:
So inclines build the upper chest?????? Last time I checked... a muscle contracts under the "All or None Principal" Either the entire muscle is contracting or it isn't contracting.... don't get me wrong..I do incline dumbell presses for a variety once in a while... but I believe there was a study done a while ago that showed that the greatest contraction of the pectoral muscle came from doing DECLINE benching...Im going from memory here but it had something to do with MRI's while doing the lifts..

Overall...the article is good advice... good form.. a mixture of reps and limiting volume I think are excellent ways to develop your chest.. in fact...I got the most development and strength by working my chest once a week instead of twice a week...and I only did benches and flyes...

I just don't by the incline for upper chest thing and decline for lower chest.... I think its a myth....
I totally agree on that...I had a friend back in college all he did was bench and more bench, but he mastered the bench pretty well and knew how to contract his chest muscles properly. His chest was probably one of the best on campus people would ask him what he does for chest all his reply was, "bench" and they call him bullshit for it :spank: I trained with him and thats all we did he had it down packed to an art form. Anyways I believe the all or nothing also....
thats all I do now is bench mainly and my chest is alot damn better than most folks who all they is incline all day till their blue in da face and still have no chest.

Double3 said:
I've got the most development from doing inclines as the first chest exercise.
not trying to criticise your choice or lack of etc., but do you how to feel the chest work while doing benches itself? most dont know how to contract the chest muscles while benching and incline gives this to them more naturally a contraction.

this is a fuckin bullshit dumbass body builder article. I have big shoulders, triceps but my chjest is EXTREMELY small. i can do a decent amount of weight on bench.. DB bench w/e... genetics DO play a role on how your muscles will be . i only read the first paragrph to know this article was JUNK and whoever wrote it is a MORON.

inked1 said:
find me some one benching 400+ with a small chest

Markus ruhl does not have small triceps, but compared to hs overall body, they are small. To an average guy nothing is small.

Interesting info too.

skarhead1 said:
this is a fuckin bullshit dumbass body builder article. I have big shoulders, triceps but my chjest is EXTREMELY small. i can do a decent amount of weight on bench.. DB bench w/e... genetics DO play a role on how your muscles will be . i only read the first paragrph to know this article was JUNK and whoever wrote it is a MORON.

:gives:

well i think i gain well when i do flat db bench, incline db bench and incline db flyes. doing only inclines does not do much even though im sore. i believe in the flat benching, preferably dumbells. when i dont do flat, my chest actually looks flat. adding in flat makes it look full and thicker.

jocktheglide said:
His chest was probably one of the best on campus people would ask him what he does for chest all his reply was, "bench" and they call him bullshit for it :spank:

Sounds about right for a college campus.

jocktheglide said:
not trying to criticise your choice or lack of etc., but do you how to feel the chest work while doing benches itself? most dont know how to contract the chest muscles while benching and incline gives this to them more naturally a contraction.
huh?

Yeah I know how to workout. I use a low angle on inclines.

Only use DB's too.

jocktheglide said:
dont we all say that though :spank:
:laugh4:

A friend of mine has horrible genetics on his chest and I told him to try the inclines first. It transformed his chest.

You might be right about the incline being more natural. I dunno it works for me. Thats all that matters right?

Declines feel the most natural to me. Inclines feel the least, I use too much front delt on those but found an upright hammer strength machine (type used by Dorian a lot) at the gym that uses a perfect arc and grip for hitting mine. And if I remember correctly, studies have shown that you use more muscle fiber in your pecs when doing decline. Next is flat, and incline uses the least.

bleachcola said:
Declines feel the most natural to me. Inclines feel the least, I use too much front delt on those but found an upright hammer strength machine (type used by Dorian a lot) at the gym that uses a perfect arc and grip for hitting mine. And if I remember correctly, studies have shown that you use more muscle fiber in your pecs when doing decline. Next is flat, and incline uses the least.

I change my routines bi-monthly and I have to agree with you on declines...last month and a half I changed incline for decline and I tend to feel declines at a lower weight much more than incline with a heiger weight. I also noticed, from my stats, a .5% increase in growth during the same period.

I also noticed that using a narrower grip tends to emphazise contractions more than a wider grip. Probably because a narrower grip pulls your arms inwards.

Back