20 Rep Squats

thetopdog

How do you guys feel about doing these for a few weeks in a row? I'm coming off a minor lower back injury and I don't want to load too much weight on my back if I don't have to, so I was thinking about doing 1 set of 20 rep squats and a few sets of leg press for the next 4 weeks, or at least until I feel comfortable going all out again

Good idea or not?

Progress means rest. Give your lower back some time to rest and spare it. You can skip squats or leg press and just do leg extentions. Do them for 1hr and you wont be able to squat.

putin said:
Progress means rest. Give your lower back some time to rest and spare it. You can skip squats or leg press and just do leg extentions. Do them for 1hr and you wont be able to squat.

I have been resting my lower back, prior to last week, I hadn't squatted or deadlifted more than 135lbs in about a month. I went relatively heavy last week on both exericses, and my back feels better than ever so I'm assuming I'm ready to start doing both with resonalbe weight again

20 rep squats are a great mass building routine. However, if your back is injured or healing from injury you should not do a routine that puts so much stress on the lower back. Get your back strong, and hopefully you can work your abs as well while recuperating. Having your back and abs at their strongest is necessary to get the most benefit from the 20 rep squats program.

thetopdog said:
How do you guys feel about doing these for a few weeks in a row? I'm coming off a minor lower back injury and I don't want to load too much weight on my back if I don't have to, so I was thinking about doing 1 set of 20 rep squats and a few sets of leg press for the next 4 weeks, or at least until I feel comfortable going all out again

Good idea or not?
20repers are great. Good shock 2 your system and help build muscle as long as the weight is heavy enough.
Dunno about doing much work w/a lower back injury though??

20 rep squats used to aggravate my back a tad, probably becuase my form would break down after 15 or so. Be careful your form does not break down, and stop when it does if you have a back injury.

20 rep squats are part of my present routine--difficult yet satisfying. I recommend them if you want to break out of a plateau for strength and size gains they definitely pay off. Impeccable form is a must, it is better to go lighter than to sacrifice form.

Reactions: jul
how many sets would one do if doing 20 rep sets? or can you use these at say the end of a hvy squat day...work up to a 3 or 2rep set then go into a 20 rep set to finish them off???

if you are coming back from a lower back injury I wouldn't use the the leg press.

be careful when getting up into the higher rep squats as JCP mentioned, cause if your form goes to shit, so will your back

huskyguy said:
20 rep squats are part of my present routine--difficult yet satisfying. I recommend them if you want to break out of a plateau for strength and size gains they definitely pay off. Impeccable form is a must, it is better to go lighter than to sacrifice form.

ditto!

truck said:
I do 3x20. why only one set Tafman?

the idea is by time you get to rep 20 on the 1st set you shouldnt be able to 21..you should have to push your self to complete exhaustion on the 20th rep of that set....basically its an all out brutal you agaist the wt type lift. you should physically only be able to do that 1 set.

Back